need dental work - cntrl Amerika, wst Eur, or cntrl Asia?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: need dental work - cntrl Amerika, wst Eur, or cntrl Asi

Postby BillyOblivion » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 am

I had my teeth cleaned by some plastic faced Eastern European chick @ the dental clinic on Camp Cupcake in Baghdad.

I'm not a complete fucking wimp--when I was younger I made it through Marine Corps boot camp, and I've had my share of bruises, dislocations and such, but frankly that shit was *painful*.

That chick had the *amazing* ability to find exactly where the nerve endings are and put that vibrating/spinning plaque remover RIGHT ON THAT SPOT. While all the time gossiping with another plastic faced chick in their native tongue.

Nice bodies though. I'm surprised more contractors weren't willing to put up with the pain just to get a look at a woman who didn't outweigh them. Then again they might have been pulling in extra cash after the clinic closed. I'm sure JITW knows.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:39 am

One other thing--Dental insurance, especially "emergency" insurance isn't *that* expensive. I paid out of pocket for decent medical, dental and vision for a year for 4 people, and it was less than 700 a month (which is a lot, but the youngest was 2 and the oldest 20 and I like to practice martial arts, climb rocks and play with guns. Oh, and motorcycles and bicycles in traffic.).
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:42 am

Not one said Mexico. Could use some dental work. Last quote I had was between 7-8 k. Yeah, i'll look at other options...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Although Costa Rica is considered the best place in the Americas for inexpensive dental work (the USA is ridiculous, are you people out of your minds? You pay like 10x as much then anywhere else in the hemisphere, dentists make like US$250K per year there), El Salvador specializes in dental work, too. That's because Salvadorans who are US citizens often work in service industries and factories without insurance, so they and their kids come down here. Plus, most Salvadoran dentists were trained in the USA. I don't know if it's cheaper than CR, though.

Mexico is supposed to be OK, too, Cancún has a lot of dentists geared to USAmericans. CR is supposed to be better, though.

Anyway, I get all my work done in Costa Rica. It's an industry there; 15% of CR's tourist income is medical tourism, and most of that is dental tourism from the USA. (Just because most USAmericans who can't afford dental insurance also can't afford dental prices.)

I do know that Costa Rica's main competitor in this is Thailand, they're the other quality dental country. But you can get a direct flight from ATL for US$350 to San José rt, 4hrs in a plane ow. Thailand's got to cost way more.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby svizzerams » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:08 am

RT to CR is way way cheaper than Thailand. And what Michelle in Alaska said: Get a Sonicare - after its charged you can even take it traveling with you for a couple of weeks. I gave one to my daughter and new son-in-law for Christmas. I know - worst Christmas present ever - even worse than new pajamas. But I never said I was a fun person.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Sparky » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:33 pm

My wife had veneers done in Mexico. Half the price of what we would pay in Canada and the dentist did a steller job. I would not hesitate to get any sort of dental work done down there. She had her work done in Oaxaca City.
Sparky

Postby Badmotorfinger08 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Serbia is full of skilled dentists who need work, and the price is definitely right. It's not super cozy but you will definitely get your teeth fixed.

I met a black guy on a trip there once just for that, he had spent time in prison in the US where several of his teeth had been knocked out, came to Serbia to get a whole new mouth. He couldn't have been happier with the work he got done there, and the price.
Badmotorfinger08

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 am

svizzerams wrote:RT to CR is way way cheaper than Thailand. And what Michelle in Alaska said: Get a Sonicare - after its charged you can even take it traveling with you for a couple of weeks. I gave one to my daughter and new son-in-law for Christmas. I know - worst Christmas present ever - even worse than new pajamas. But I never said I was a fun person.

I remember RYP and I laughing at your kindle but you talked me into getting one and now it is my prized possession. We also laughed at your supply of oatmeal until it saved my ass on our death march. And your fancy GPS really is tits. So I will not make the same mistake again when it comes to fancy tooth-cleaning devices. It's officially added to the Swain wedding gift registry.

Please keep me updated with your latest purchases and reviews ;)

But I still am not sold on the spot beacon tho. ;)
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe