Paks detain bin Laden snitches

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Paks detain bin Laden snitches

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Pakistani intelligence has detained five alleged CIA informants who spied on Osama bin Laden in the months before the al-Qaida chief was killed in a special forces raid, US and Pakistani officials have said.

The Pakistani informants noted the details of vehicles visiting Bin Laden's house in Abbottabad, 35 miles north of Islamabad, and helped run a nearby house from which CIA spies watched the al-Qaida leader.

A Pakistani official said the owner of the CIA hideout had been arrested along with several other people.

A military spokesman denied a New York Times report that a serving army major had also been detained. The arrests highlight continuing tensions between the US and Pakistan in the wake of Bin Laden's death. They are likely to intensify pressure from senior Washington politicians to cut Pakistan's $2bn annual aid package.

I mean really, what we need to do is hook-up with India and drive Pakistan into dark sea of historical oblivion.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Paks detain bin Laden snitches

Postby Rhah » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:09 pm

coldharvest wrote:I mean really, what we need to do is hook-up with India and drive Pakistan into dark sea of historical oblivion.

+1

The Paki ISI are slimy double dealing muthafuckers
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Looked at from the Pakistani government point of view, they could hardly be seen to let a foreign intelligence agency recruit their nationals, and then run an operation (killing OBL), without their permission, or even informing them, without taking some action. I would assume the CIA takes all that on board without concern, and any public outrage is manufactured. They also have to make the appropriate noises to show other or future agents that they'll support them if they get caught.

It might be interesting to compare the case of the Cuban Five, who were Cuban intelligence agents (some Cuban, some Cuban-American) working within the US, to try to disrupt terrorist networks working against Cuba, apparently with the connivance of the US authorities. They were arrested, as far as I remember, following Cuban provision of documents on the case against Luis Posada Carriles, an admitted terrorist responsible for bringing down a civilian airliner, with a long history of working for the CIA, who was sprung from a Venezuelan jail where he was on trial, with, presumably, CIA help, and now living in Miami. They are serving very long prison sentences, after what many legal and human rights organisations consider an unfair trial.

Goose and gander. Not the same situation exactly, but there are notable similarities.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Looked at from the Pakistani government point of view

that's when I stopped reading and yelled fuck off
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby deselby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Really, Penta, let's put this in perspective. OBL was an international mass murderer, not some ordinary spy. Is Pakistan offended because they wanted to arrest OBL on their own? I don't think so - it would have made them more of a target. The USA did Pakistan a big favor by killing him.

I hope this is just some shakedown, which will end with a bribe to the Paks and all of the "snitches" and their families being settled in nice $500,000 homes in the USA. After all, wouldn't this give them a claim on the reward money? Come to think of it, maybe it's one of those Oriental scams, where the Pak government will get a kickback for fingering these guys and thus getting them a reward.

Other than that, welcome back.
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:25 pm

deselby wrote:Really, Penta, let's put this in perspective. OBL was an international mass murderer, not some ordinary spy. Is Pakistan offended because they wanted to arrest OBL on their own? I don't think so - it would have made them more of a target. The USA did Pakistan a big favor by killing him.

No doubt. But there are official forms to go through, questions of sovereignty to consider, and so on. Pakistan is still officially an ally. That's all I'm saying. Getting all hot under the collar because they've arrested their own citizens who were acting for a foreign power, on their own territory, without the knowledge of their own government is just for show, wouldn't you say? Similar situation with that American who was arrested in Lahore after killing a couple of people; Davies, was he called? Didn't they go through the motions and pay blood money to the relatives, as arranged through Pakistani courts?

(And though by no means on anything like the same scale, Posada Carriles was an international mass murderer and terrorist too.)

Other than that, welcome back.
Thank you.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby deselby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Penta wrote:No doubt. But there are official forms to go through, questions of sovereignty to consider, and so on. Pakistan is still officially an ally. That's all I'm saying. Getting all hot under the collar because they've arrested their own citizens who were acting for a foreign power, on their own territory, without the knowledge of their own government is just for show, wouldn't you say? Similar situation with that American who was arrested in Lahore after killing a couple of people; Davies, was he called? Didn't they go through the motions and pay blood money to the relatives, as arranged through Pakistani courts?

(And though by no means on anything like the same scale, Posada Carriles was an international mass murderer and terrorist too.)

The bottom line was the Paks could not be trusted, and killing OBL was too important to risk.
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Thank you Coldharvest I love you for posting something of international relevance and interest. Hasn't been enough of that around here lately. And I agree, fuck Pakistan. And Penta, of course you nit-pick as to how we took bin Laden out, the big bad USA, that's what you do. Welcome back. Glad to read the rebuttals and even happier not to open a thread and see that it's all about the personal ..... for once.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:21 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:And Penta, of course you nit-pick as to how we took bin Laden out, the big bad USA, that's what you do.
In fact we're discussing not that but the aftermath within Pakistan.

Welcome back.
Thank you.

Glad to read the rebuttals and even happier not to open a thread and see that it's all about the personal ..... for once.
Writing "all about the personal" is not my choice. Though I ignore most of them, sometimes I feel obliged to respond to repeated personal attacks, even when the attack is nothing to do with the topic in hand, as is so often the case. I am only too delighted to be able to discuss the issues instead.

Of course I give a personal view about travel, books, films, etc., and when a personal experience illuminates my take on a topic under discussion (the boots on the ground thing that is such a key element on this forum). So, for instance, is it "all about the personal" to say why I like Dublin, when asked? Is it OK to point out that there are in fact some very good-looking British MPs, or are only men allowed to to do that? Surely not. ;)
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:45 pm

....you actually feel your presense here has impoved the BFC?
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Penta ........ (shakes head) ........ never mind.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:21 pm

My vote is with the "ISI/Pak gov't using arrested for leverage" angle.

I would hire some local street vendor to do my negotiations over the diplomats whose feet have probably never stepped out of their walled palaces.

The place is a house of cards as it is and if they want to get back at us for showing the world them with their pants around their ankles then go ahead. India will be happy for it to become a regional war. They can finally invade and put all their nationalistc chest-puffery to good use. A few nukes here and there and everything's resolved right?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Is it safe to say that what the Paks are doing is potentially suicidal?
Sri Lanky

Postby Jäeger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:42 pm

The Weirdo:
Writing "all about the personal" is not my choice.

Yeah, all that shit about me being a wife-beating, drunken womaniser just happened through no fault of your own.

coldharvest:
....you actually feel your presense here has impoved the BFC?

Of course she does, she's delusional.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby vagabond » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Is it safe to say that what the Paks are doing is potentially suicidal?

Depends on what each side thinks the balance of power currently is, how nice everyone wants to play, etc. We made the gov't 'lose face' by embarrassing them on the international stage. They want us to kiss and make up and maybe give them a reach around. I don't think at this time we want to cuddle.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe