Post some shit and enter fuckin tain me!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Post some shit and enter fuckin tain me!

Postby Osiris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:56 am

Mikethehack wrote:Name the Flagger:

I'm going with FriendlySkies.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:05 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHUXROqbZVQ[/youtube]
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:34 pm

"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:22 pm

I wish I had a van that I could paint this on the side of.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Farmdog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Farmdog
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Sex-starved fruit flies turn to drink
By Jason Palmer Science and technology reporter, BBC News

Male fruit flies that have been rejected by females drink significantly more alcohol than those that have mated freely, scientists say.

In an article in Science, researchers suggest that alcohol stimulates the flies' brains as a "reward" in a similar way to sexual conquest.

The work points to a brain chemical called neuropeptide F, which seems to be regulated by the flies' behaviour.

Human brains have a similar chemical, which may react in a similar way.

The connection between alcohol and this chemical, which in humans is known as neuropeptide Y, has already been noted in studies involving hard-drinking mice.

The new work explores the link between such reward-seeking and the study of social interactions, said the lead author of the report Galit Shohat-Ophir, now of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute in Virginia, US.

"It is thought that reward systems evolved to reinforce behaviours that are important for the survival of both individuals and species, like food consumption and mating," Dr Shohat-Ophir told BBC News.

"Drugs of abuse kind of hijack the same neural pathways used by natural rewards, so we wanted to use alcohol - which is an extreme example of a compound that can affect the reward system - to get into the mechanism of what makes social interaction rewarding for animals."
'Control system'

Working in the laboratory of Ulrike Heberlein at the University of California, San Francisco, Dr Shohat-Ophir and colleagues subjected a number of flies to a wide variety of fates.

In one set of experiments, male flies were put in a box with five virgin females, which were receptive to the males' advances. In another, males were locked up with females that had already mated and which thus roundly rejected the males' attempts at sex.

Offered either their normal food slurry or a version charged with 15% alcohol, the mated males avoided the alcohol, whereas the sexually deprived males went on a comparative bender.

The team then went on a hunt for a chemical that could tie the two parts of this story together, hitting on neuropeptide F (NPF).

They found that the heavy-drinking rejected males had a lowered level of the chemical, and sated, mated males had an elevated level.

"What we think is that these NPF levels are some kind of 'molecular signature' to the experience," Dr Shohat-Ophir explained.

To show that the NPF is actually responsible for the change rather than just associated with it, the researchers actively manipulated just how much NPF was in the flies' brains.

Those with depressed levels acted like the rejected males, and those with elevated levels behaved like the mated males.

"What this leads us to think is that the fly brain - and presumably also other animals' and human brains - have some kind of a system to control their level of internal reward, that once the internal reward level is down-regulated it will be followed by behaviour that will restore it back," Dr Shohat-Ophir said.

It is tempting, given that humans share a similar brain chemical, to imagine that NPF drives human behaviour as well.

However, in an accompanying article in Science, Troy Zars of the University of Missouri wrote that "anthropomorphising the results from flies is difficult to suppress, but the relevance to human behaviour is obviously not yet established".

Nevertheless, he suggested, "links a rewarding social interaction with a lasting change in behaviour".

"Identifying the NPF system as critical in this linkage offers exciting prospects for determining the molecular and genetic mechanisms of reward and could potentially influence our understanding of the mechanisms of drugs of abuse."
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby ktrout » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Farmdog wrote:

What the hell was that?

Oregon?
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:15 am

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Osiris » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:20 am

The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:45 am

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:29 am

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby el3so » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:48 pm

skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby gnaruki » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWh6PMi9Ek[/youtube]
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby muskrat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 am

From the (R)Ambler. Enjoy the 'threat' LMAO.
Cheers M.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coldharvest and Rickshaw

You have absolutely no conception or clue as to what I would like to do to you , heaven forbid, should I ever have to ever have to endure the unbearable discomfort of meeting you in person ...do you?

Think about it a little while...coldharvest you especially youre one guy I would like to suggest lifting some mental weights with your biceps

...with RYP him self calling the shots as your trainer

its not like I would not know how to whip you into shape

but as for rickshaw, you really must agree its hardly fair to call him

a person. Let alone ask him for a real mano mano fight.
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe