Government approved pirate fighting

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Government approved pirate fighting

Postby RYP » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:02 pm

my point is simple. I don't structure my agenda around other people's activities. If I have been dicking around inside Somalia since 2008 it wasn't specifically to point out to other people that they haven't been. If I go on a pirate cruise, I don't have everyone's schedules so I can point out how many more pirates I saw. I do it to see what conditions are like and how things work. You wont' see many journos spending a week at sea specifically trying to get an RPG tossed their way.

In any case I should have been in Libya doing breathless to cameras while proto jihadis fired noisy rockets on cure. Or pretending to sneak into Syria to show the abuse of power. But fuck it. That's what journos are for.

When I am in Mogland or the center slash north meeting with the local brigands, mercenaries, mooryans and slackers I don't think you even read about it here. They are all turned into stories on Somalia Report (which I am quite proud of an post a few links here and there). Also you will see a rather spectacular set of pics and words by Jason Florio in Mog which I will pimp viciously which I don't even think mentions my name.

So save the cranky juice.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 pm

After attempting to get ahold of Mr. Parsons,of which I did not get a reply but got one from Kiki out of Nairobi saying good luck,I sent him the link for Somalia Report thinking it would interest him seeing that he runs the firefighting dept. out of the airport in Mog. Swain explained to me that if dealing with people in the UN you generally have to be introduced in person. So if I want to speak to Mr. Parsons I have to just go and show up at the airport and then find him. That's scary enough from my perspective.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Yeah,so I guess my question is: Can you just show up at the Mog airport?
Sri Lanky

Postby RYP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:48 am

Airport has always been fine. Mog is pretty quiet these days. But you have to land cargo to walk around the UN part.
RYP

Postby coldharvest » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:44 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Yeah,so I guess my question is: Can you just show up at the Mog airport?

Yes
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Anyone work as / with PCASP in Gulf of Aden / western Indian Ocean area? Keen to discuss recent Somali piracy incidents. Cheers!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Anyone work as / with PCASP in Gulf of Aden / western Indian Ocean area? Keen to discuss recent Somali piracy incidents. Cheers!

What are you selling?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:49 am

Ha, nothing! I'm trying to get a sense of the level of pirate activity in the Gulf of Aden region at the moment for a presentation I'm giving. Given that there's no central database of which ships carry PCASP and which don't, or which teams have opened fire on pirates, and that many vessels don't report unsuccessful pirate hijack attempts, it's very difficult to know whether it's the Wild West out there, or whether taking on a job transiting the Gulf of Aden / Horn of Africa these days is basically a walk in the park and easy money.

Any help much appreciated. Happy to discuss further via email / DM.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:00 am

It was a walk in the park back in 2012, I'd imagine it's akin to a Sunday morning lie-in now

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:07 am

Sounds good! But every so often there's some action and people have to earn their rockstar wages. Keen to discuss a specific incident a few days ago when some Somalis got shot. Any ideas where to pose these questions?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:40 am

right here
RYP

Postby Q » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Sounds good! But every so often there's some action and people have to earn their rockstar wages. Keen to discuss a specific incident a few days ago when some Somalis got shot. Any ideas where to pose these questions?

The comic book response is being drawn up as we speak.

Stand by.

Would you like to buy a knife?
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:55 pm

OK then. Panama-flagged MSC Clara had a few issues in the Gulf of Aden recently, en-route to Singapore.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Ozymandias wrote:OK then. Panama-flagged MSC Clara had a few issues in the Gulf of Aden recently, en-route to Singapore.

Obviously the drones ROE doesn't extend to counter piracy.

I bet the guys on board couldn't believe their luck. Action at last. Only thing worse than war is peace.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe