Manchester - Exhibition Resistance on Tour Aktion-T4

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Manchester - Exhibition Resistance on Tour Aktion-T4

Postby Dr. V » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Coming to Manchester’s Zion Arts Centre from 10 February 2012 An award-winning international touring exhibition by artist-activist Liz Crow

Resistance: which way the future? takes as its starting point the Nazi programme of mass-murder which targeted disabled people and became the blueprint for the larger holocaust.

What turned doctors and nurses into killers? What stopped ordinary people from speaking out? And what does this history mean for all of us today?

Over ten years in the making, the exhibition recently returned from its run at Washington DC?s Kennedy Center, where a visitor wrote “One of the most powerful things I have ever experienced. I was so amazed by it, I went back to see it twice more.” It comes to Manchester immediately following a highly successful period of installation at M Shed in Bristol.

The opening drama follows the story of Elise, a patient who sweeps the institution in which she lives. She watches buses full of patients leave and return empty. When her turn comes, she knows what’s in store. Based on real events, this is the story of one woman’s resistance in the only way she could.

Director Liz Crow says “This is an episode of history that is virtually hidden, yet the values that underpinned it still echo through disabled people’s lives today. We can’t change history, but we can learn how to influence the future. The events of the holocaust came to an end because ordinary people resisted. I want audiences to feel inspired to get involved, be effective and find the courage to be a part of change. Resistance deals in a difficult subject but is infused with a sense of possibility.”

Resistance is at Zion Arts Centre from 10 February until 3 March
335 Stretford Road, Hulme M15 5ZA. 0161 226 1912. zionarts.com Monday to Friday 10am-9pm, Saturday 9am-5pm

Run time 30 minutes
With British Sign Language interpretation, caption and audio description Suitable for individuals and groups. Recommended age 10+ to adult

More information ­ including events:
http://www.roaring-girl.com/productions/resistance-on-tour%20.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Return to Black Flag Cafe