Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Memorial Sub Forum:

Poll ended at Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am

Yes good idea - please go ahead
56%
No bad idea - let RIP threads go into the BFC archives
25%
I have a better plan - please see my comment below
3%
I don't care - do what you want
17%

Total votes : 36

Re: Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

Postby nowonmai » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Osiris wrote:
nowonmai wrote:
Osiris wrote:I actually am in favor of the memorial. It would be nice to show a little respect and doesn't do any harm.

Nice? You cunt.

Hence my last words, as stated above.

Twat.

lol
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:04 pm

It's a gay idea, non of us are so special (RYP excluded, he's famous) as to need more than an off hand mention in passing to know to quit responding to the deceased. (Unless it was some ultra violent/heroic event worth talking about:)

But since we have one, blighters like nowonmai who have no life away from the interweb might get some recognition.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby nowonmai » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 pm

Hitoru wrote:It's a gay idea, non of us are so special (RYP excluded, he's famous) as to need more than an off hand mention in passing to know to quit responding to the deceased. (Unless it was some ultra violent/heroic event worth talking about:)

But since we have one, blighters like nowonmai who have no life away from the interweb might get some recognition.

Good point, I've done a U turn and am now all for it.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 pm

It's because of shit like this that when I die I ain't gonna tell no one.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby svizzerams » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:07 am

Osiris wrote:
nowonmai wrote:
Osiris wrote:I actually am in favor of the memorial. It would be nice to show a little respect and doesn't do any harm.

Nice? You cunt.

Hence my last words, as stated above.

Touché.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby RYP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:39 am

maybe everyone should write their own obit and will just post it. But yes we should remember many of my friends, acquaintances and nemesis's

Roddy Scott, Wink Dulles, Bill Bennett, Jeff Shippy were my kind of people and I wish they hadn't gone so soon.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Hitoru » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:37 am

I'll raise one to Roddy Scott.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby nowonmai » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:37 am

Don't forget Bon Scott.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98I85ceICRM[/youtube]

My first ever gig was as a squeaky-balled schoolboy seeing these in Dublin's RDS in 1982, I've not been to a better gig since I think

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:13 am

Fansy wrote:look at all these people who dont want a memorial forum only because theyre scared of their own memorial thread. 1) youre going to die even without a memorial forum/thread, 2) dont worry, the thread wont be as bad as you think, even though I(we) hate all you.

a lot of fear and handwringing and not a lot of actual thought. i guess that's women for you tho.

Well, that's a good point, but we have some fucking psychos on here. I guess what kind of bothered me was that Vlindsey posted a link to the Chelly thread on facebook, and his mom is on there. (She "liked" my personal post, that's how I know.) If she clicked on V's link, and you know she did, she saw that thread, which was mostly very nice but also had some fucking stupid stuff. I thought it was unfortunate, and I can't even imagine how much worse shit people would say about me. I'm also thinking that when travelers, especially gringas, get killed in Latin America, it's in a gruesome, rapey way that often involves machetes and getting your pic, all hacked up, published in some crappy newspaper... gakh. I wouldn't mind you all linking to that or commenting on it, it would be probably be funny.

But do I want my mom reading about how I'm a "cunt"? Right after I died in some senseless, stupid way? No, not particularly. And more to the point, do I want that shit in a sticky thread, and super easy to find - and worse, probably with my real name it so internet ghouls can google my name afterward and see my real life? No, not so much. I don't really want anyone seeing me called a "cunt," frankly. In the context of the forum, it's not such a bad thing, we say "cunt" like normal people say "jerk." If someone goes to the effort to figure out my forum name and search for a memorial thread, they'll figure that out. But maybe not if there's a special forum with some list of dead danger travelers right on top.

Whatever, I suppose I shouldn't give a shit. And it's not that big of a deal. But you asked my opinion, right? So I'm giving it to you. And, since you asked, I'd rather keep it casual. I thought having the memorial thread for Chelly as a sticky for a few weeks was really nice. Sort of like how, in the olden days, you'd wear black for a while after someone died. Get drunk and share some memories. Then, life goes on, and you let that float down the message board toward infinity and leave it, like a mummy at the bottom of a peat bog, for future archaeologists of the 21st-century mindset to find. And, since I'm blathering, I'd rather we used the BFC names instead of real ones; there will be other places online to leave your condolences if you actually know me, hopefully without comments like "Wow, I guess she's two cunts now that they macheteed her torso in half, ha ha." I would expect no less here, but hopefully on the Facebook memorial page you'd opt for something like, "I'm sorry for your loss, she had some great rants about Rick Steves."

Anyway, majority rules, whatever you all want to do. My formal request to opt out of the forum stands, though.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:33 pm

no, I'm not for it. I think the RIP's that unfortunately show up from time to time on the general board are sufficient and fitting tributes, no need to stand on ceremony and put them in a special category. If someone can figure out a way to bend dimensions to allow the departed to post their own selves then I'd be all for that though.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Shit now we're going to have to have people put it in their signatures that they don't want to be officially eulogized like one of those DNR bracelets.

Personally you might as well do it. That shit is for the people that are left, not the person themselves. They are going to be taking a dirt nap anyway so not like they will even know.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jäeger » Mon May 07, 2012 8:59 pm

It's ridiculous. If you don't know someone well enough personally to be notified of their demise, there's not much point in getting all emotional about it on the internet. So, no it's a dumb idea and personally it's a bit morbid and ghoulish to be trying to track down "japslap69" to see if he's dead or if he's just bored with this place.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby gnaruki » Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 pm

The issue is that over the internet most people are limited to text. It's difficult to convey intonation and such with a few words. Regarding the most recent confirmed flagger passing I doubt anyone was truly being nasty with their posts here. There will always be assholes talking shit about someones death and the people that cared most about the deceased will take it the most personally.

My post about 'I'm sure his albums are going to a good place' could have been taken the wrong way. I mean't that I would be interested in hearing some of his music. Not 'haha, the music on his laptop got stolen by some shithead juveniles'. All i know about Chelly is from a few posts, I'm sure he would have been cool to hang out with and ride motorcycles or sit around a watering hole bullshitting about music.

My two cents is done here.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

nothing personal guv

Postby el3so » Mon May 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Writing your own obituary? That sounds plain narcissistic.
Jäeger wrote: If you don't know someone well enough personally to be notified of their demise, there's not much point in getting all emotional about it on the internet.
+1

Also, wouldn't each and every thread turn out to be just a string of not so endless variations on "RIP" and whatever with maybe the odd post out of someone sharing a not too embarrassing / cleaned-up and selective memory about the deceased person in question?
If not, you guys/gals are way more creative than me in thinking up stuff to say about those having passed away.

Would not posting seem disrespectful?
If not, that could lead to some cold, sad sh!t. An obit thread with 0 replies and like 16 views.

*dons turban, gazes into crystal ball*

Yes.
I can see it all happening.
I also foretell someone screen-grabbing it, adding a catchy line and sending it to failblog.
nowonmai goes viral in 2015
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe