Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Memorial Sub Forum:

Poll ended at Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am

Yes good idea - please go ahead
56%
No bad idea - let RIP threads go into the BFC archives
25%
I have a better plan - please see my comment below
3%
I don't care - do what you want
17%

Total votes : 36

Re: Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

Postby Fansy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:05 am

so with a little forethought those could have been the options in the poll, no?

im still in favor of limiting to logged in members. just dont think it needs to be accessible to the internet at large, or even guest users. granted, as has been pointed out to me, that ex-forum members (i.e. banned members) and family/friends will not be able to see it unless they are somehow able to create a log in, i really dont think a RIP forum, if it should exist, should be for them or their interests.

we're not going to require they give us all the info of the individual, allow all BFC members to know about and attend any services, etc.

in my mind its not supposed to be some indelible record of their existence, just a way for forum members to remem ppl in the past and give em shout-outs as they go. anything else is either inappropriate or comes with all sorts of limitations regulations regarding family/friends etc.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:29 am

Good idea, viewable only to members is my vote. I am NOT in favor of it being read only - the whole idea (to me) of a memorial is to allow those who knew the person (in real life or just through chatting with them on here) to relate stories about the person. Here is a good example : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/g ... t=86936932 (this is the memorial section of Dropzone.com, where fellow skydivers can reminisce about deceased friends).
I realize it may take some heavy moderation, but I really think you should rethink the "read only" idea if it is only available to members - IF it is available to the general public then it should definitely be read only, but only allowing access to members I think we should be able to comment and share stories about anyone we may have known....
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Fansy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 am

it could just be read-only after a certain period of time, or posts wouldnt just be "RIP xxxxxxx" but written and submitted by users regarding their specific memories, which some moderator (one of the many on this site that do nothing) could, for a period of 2 weeks, read and vet (which probably wouldnt take much effort) and ultimately OK users' posts. that would work out to 1 post per person per RIP thread about (give or take for whatever reason), and wouldnt be some constant editing or moderated forum. it'd just be 1-2 weeks of vetting user submissions (before some arbitrary deadline) following the death of a forum member.

doesnt seem too much to ask since many people that pass/will pass on the bfc brought days/months/years of enjoyment to other users (including content to the site, which RYP and team comebackalive benefit from directly). a small sacrifice to make for passing ppl, but more importantly for those ppl who want to a place to record their own memories of the individual and see others' memories as well.

i have written a lot about this topic but not because i care about is so much. i'm postponing work on a big paper im not going to finish. but either way i think its a pretty coo idea if implemented with the interests of the users of the BFC in mind and with a bit of little taste (i.e. done the right way).
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 am

I have prepared your Obit in advance with the aid of the internet.

World-renowned fluffer Fansy died today in a hospital in Teheran. Doctors are still unsure of what exactly caused the death, but believe it was due to complications after Fansy plunged too fast and suffered pains in his sphincter. He was 2 years old.

Fansy was a shallow person, who enjoyed everything about life. He was known for his passion for curry, which he often ate 8 times a day. He loved to share curry with everyone, and would even offer curry to strangers. Fansy also enjoyed traveling, especially to historical landmarks, and loved meeting people around the world. On his trip to Sheffield he even met the president (and yes, he offered him curry). After meeting him, Fansy said the President was old fashioned.

Fansy is survived by his partner JITW, their 4 children, and their pet ass named gay.

http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/spankingshakespeare/
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:41 am

Fansy is survived by his partner JITW, their 4 children, and their pet ass named gay

see this is proof of how fun and necessary BFC obits will be
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Circa 2007...

Postby Herr VOLKMAR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:55 am

See: "RIP David Duke" by wsduncanb | REMEMBER when RYP really got pissed-off? Ha-ha, I done it!
"I've already been executed,
I'm just waiting to die."
-
William Sherrick Duncan-Binns
c/o The CLANDESTINE BOAT WORKS
Tazlina SW Subdivision
Tazlina, AK 99573
(907)320-0257
Herr VOLKMAR
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:42 am

The adventure rider permutation blends both models. For example - a member "shuffles off this mortal coil" so to speak - a thread is started and is made a sticky - then people can make comments, condolences, tributes etc etc, with the emphasis on tasteful and respectful entries. After a bit the thread is locked and then moved to the half-mast flag cafe. As an example, the adventure rider memorial thread is locked and the thread contains a list of the names or pseudo-names that are hyperlinked to the original thread. I think the threads themselves are actually not locked, but the thread that contains the list is. I think that some time to allow for comments etc is appropriate and then moving the thread to its permanent "resting" place....
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 am

Fansy wrote:
Fansy is survived by his partner JITW, their 4 children, and their pet ass named gay

see this is proof of how fun and necessary BFC obits will be

In agreement.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 am

svizzerams wrote:The adventure rider permutation blends both models. For example - a member "shuffles off this mortal coil" so to speak - a thread is started and is made a sticky - then people can make comments, condolences, tributes etc etc, with the emphasis on tasteful and respectful entries. After a bit the thread is locked and then moved to the half-mast flag cafe. As an example, the adventure rider memorial thread is locked and the thread contains a list of the names or pseudo-names that are hyperlinked to the original thread. I think the threads themselves are actually not locked, but the thread that contains the list is. I think that some time to allow for comments etc is appropriate and then moving the thread to its permanent "resting" place....

This.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:39 pm

People die, get over it.
To think before you type is like wiping your butt before you dump.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:38 pm

against it. and don't want to be on it when i die.

i have seen the one on advrider. 5000 people posting about someone who died 5 years ago who they never met. gross.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 pm

marie-angelique wrote:against it. and don't want to be on it when i die.

Yeah. As long as I can go ahead and opt out of the Memorial Thread myself, no problem. Consider this an official request to not be included. Whatever other people want to do, though....
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Fansy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:08 pm

look at all these people who dont want a memorial forum only because theyre scared of their own memorial thread. 1) youre going to die even without a memorial forum/thread, 2) dont worry, the thread wont be as bad as you think, even though I(we) hate all you.

a lot of fear and handwringing and not a lot of actual thought. i guess that's women for you tho.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:34 pm

My auld fella put a great thought in my head about this whole funeral/memorial thing a few years ago. I was at home and the subject came up in conversation over a few jars. A female relative goes "I want to be cremated, the thought of lying in the ground being eaten by worms and allsorts gives me the creeps". A few concurred, others go "No, I want to be laid beside my Da/Ma/spouse/kids etc."

My auld boy goes "You can do whatever the fuck you want with my body when I go, I'll be dead and past caring."

Nail on head x infinity

All who have come on this thread to decry "Not for me, I don't want to be part of your maudling ways" are just narcissists who crave the windswept and interesting aspects they sadly lack in the here and now. As Churchill once described TEL "He is always backing into the limelight". You seek affirmation and care deeply what the rest of us cunts think about you. Dream on knob rocks. You're like the guy who screams "hold me back!" during a pub brawl whilst cacking his trousers and pushing back on his mates & heading for the exit.

I suggest we have an open memorial forum, where anyone can post - drunken diatribe, tear-jerking requiems for unrequited love, hate-filled diatribes of scorn. You name it. The objects of these little parcels of condolence will be dead, so no-one gets hurt.

Now all we have to do it sit back and wait until the 99.9% of you who are about as windswept & interesting as a mould in a cellar to actually croak of flabby old age.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Yes,there will eventually be the day when the Black Flag Cafe itself will cease to exist. What will be interesting is;who will be the last surviving BFCer? It could be one of the originals and by originals I think you would have had to have posted at least once on the old board...or the BFC could survive generations extending through the same continuum for a hundred years or more. But, as flipflop states,who cares?...we'll all be dead.

On the otherhand,given the nature of our lives and the danger we experience (some of us anyway),perhaps it's not such a bad idea.

BTW:My bet is on Penta to be the last BFCer standing given her stubborn persistence. She will be 153 years old by that time.
Sri Lanky

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe