Haiti. Let's do this...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Haiti. Let's do this...

Postby warrior/poet » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 pm

So enough longtime lurking here at the Flag... Bout time I friggin' posted something.

A quick recap: I worked in TV News for a looong time. I got some shiny statues. I like them. But I quit. Now I direct Communications for a secular humanitarian medical aid non-profit. Now I happy.

We support a few clinics in Haiti, around PaP and out in the countryside. I'm heading there next week to document our operations w/ video and photo, blogging, etc.

Looking for some info from the BFC, general or specific, on Haiti... PaP, Bel Air, Leogane... We'll also be heading up into the mountains to remote communities.

mesi
"Seems as if the panic is mostly with the media and the government..."
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Re: Haiti. Let's do this...

Postby warrior/poet » Thu May 10, 2012 2:41 pm

<crickets>
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby warrior/poet » Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Got some cool and GTK info PM'd to me...

Thanks!
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby south_sea_bubble » Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 pm

You have to go to the main cemetery in PAP. One of the most awesome sights I saw in my life. You might like me crash right into a voodoo ceremony.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Quitter
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 pm

When?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri May 11, 2012 1:25 pm

ProTip(tm)
leave you fancy photo, video gear, and laptop at home, take an iPhone 4 and fill your extra bags with meds.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby warrior/poet » Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 pm

south_sea_bubble wrote:You have to go to the main cemetery in PAP. One of the most awesome sights I saw in my life. You might like me crash right into a voodoo ceremony.

If I can I will. Definitely a place I want to check out...
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby warrior/poet » Fri May 11, 2012 3:31 pm

gnaruki wrote:When?

I arrive next weekend...
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri May 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Swain's advice on the gear is good. In some areas though you will want a visible camera just for show at least but make it a "tourist" camera, preferably one you don't mind losing.

Haitians have this informal news system that works fairly well and very quickly people will know about you. A single camera will create the impression that you are harmless and your position will make them think you can be useful to them if only they can figure out how to make you useful. Harmless and potentially useful (but never align yourself with any cause but that of your charity) will make your time in Haiti much easier.

The main thing to worry about is your sanity. Haiti and especially PAP is a place that will drive you mad. The more you think that you are immune to going bonkers the more likely it will happen to you. When you do lose your marbles it will be classic insanity where you think whatever crazy thought you have is perfectly logical so though I am not sure what the cause of this is it does seem to be related (I went bonkers twice in Haiti) to hydration and lack of electrolytes, so pack powdered gatorade...lots of it. Try to have clean water within your reach at all times and don't be afraid to stop whatever you are doing and head back to lie down.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby warrior/poet » Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:ProTip™
leave you fancy photo, video gear, and laptop at home, take an iPhone 4 and fill your extra bags with meds.

Thanks for the Ultra ProTip™ ... sounds like a product name.

I've thought about what you suggest re: my camera/video gear... If I was by myself I would go ultra-light. But I'll be with a group with a set regimen, security, transport, lodging, etc. I doubt I'll have time for roaming and exploring, as much as I'd like to.

I'm documenting the efforts of several dozen people both American & Haitian working in clinics, doing interviews, etc... so I'll need good audio and more video capabilities than my iphone offers. I don't have the setup to use the iphone in that manner. Plus I'll be blogging from there, if our compound's wifi cooperates, so I'll need my laptop.

I've spent some time working on getting a good photo/video kit that is easy to carry and manage. My DSLR and my video camera and accessories all fit into a backpack and one reasonable carry-on bag. My tripod straps to the backpack. Though I'm looking to make some kind of carry/travel tube for the tripod, so I can check it.

And I'm leaving the extra meds to the medical folk... ;-)
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri May 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Careful of Swainy's ProTips, you can end up with more than you bargained for

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby warrior/poet » Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Kurt wrote:The main thing to worry about is your sanity. Haiti and especially PAP is a place that will drive you mad. The more you think that you are immune to going bonkers the more likely it will happen to you. When you do lose your marbles it will be classic insanity where you think whatever crazy thought you have is perfectly logical so though I am not sure what the cause of this is it does seem to be related (I went bonkers twice in Haiti) to hydration and lack of electrolytes, so pack powdered gatorade...lots of it. Try to have clean water within your reach at all times and don't be afraid to stop whatever you are doing and head back to lie down.

I have two other people on my Comm team that are from the company that's volunteering for us in the clinics. I haven't been to Haiti, but I just gave them some very similar advice from my own experiences shooting overseas about 'vacation on the beach' being one thing, working in such a dynamic place is another and will be exhausting. Told them to pace themselves, drink a lot of water and be prepared to 'hit your wall' during the trip.
It'll be an interesting dynamic. One is a French woman, the other an office worker from NC. Not sure what travels she's done, but the guy has never done anything like this before.
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby warrior/poet » Fri May 11, 2012 4:10 pm

nowonmai wrote:Quitter

Quitting never felt so good. As if the Albatross had been lifted from around my neck... or some such metaphor.
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 pm

warrior/poet wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Quitter

Quitting never felt so good. As if the Albatross had been lifted from around my neck... or some such metaphor.

Plug from your butt?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe