DP CATAMARAN DECK: any compassion for this girl?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

DP CATAMARAN DECK: any compassion for this girl?

Postby 2Bahramm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Gone international now. Aug 21. A Toronto man has taken to Twitter and Facebook to help airlift his sister back to Canada from Croatia, after she ended up on life support after falling overboard a catamaran. A former Canadian national league football i.e. not "sock-uh",..cheerleading squad member. Image
http://help-anna-leibenko.org/

Life support tubing must totally suck . Never never been there my self. God bless if you can help the man.
2Bahramm

Re: DP CATAMARAN DECK: any compassion for this girl?

Postby nanuq » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 pm

She's on life support and he wants to airlift her to another country? Is there any reason why her condition can't be stabilized there first?
nanuq
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2Bahramm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Jeez good thought. I dont know . Absolutely no idea. My first thought would be its not "his idea", maybe the hospital has its own rules.
2Bahramm

Postby nanuq » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Even if she can't stay in a Croatian hospital for some reason, there are plenty of good emergency hospitals in Europe that are a lot closer than Canada.
nanuq
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Poor girl.

She and her friends decided to go to Yacht Week, and she slipped and hit her head on a Yacht while "partying with new friends". Its harder to get money for an air ambulance when the pretty girl in question is a traveling call girl who saw an opportunity to score some cash "partying with new friends" than it is to raise money for a sister who was just traveling in Croatia without travel insurance.

I do resent the idea that people immediately lack compassion. But what I assume you mean by "compassion" is to donate money for her airlift. Usually when people mention lack of compassion = lack of donating money I assume they are related to the fundraiser in some way or that they are Mach.

Are you related to the fundraiser or are you Mach?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby media » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Reads of a scam to me. If not tough shit should have bought better insurance.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 pm

media wrote:Reads of a scam to me. If not tough shit should have bought better insurance.

apparently a cheerleader turned prostitute did hit her head on a yacht in Croatia.

But, I sense opportunity rather than compassion. It will cost only a few thousand to travel to Croatia to be with the sister when she needs her family the most.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby media » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:02 pm

If she were black & overweight we wouldn't be reading about her. End of the day she took a very nice vacation of which she obviously had the money to buy but opted not to buy insurance. Don't have a whole lot of sympathy. He lack of preparation is now an emergency for others? Call your consulate/embassy and roll the dice see what they can do, if you are looking to me for the final dollar to bring Anna home I'll give it to someone truly in need who didn't place themselvs there by going cheap figuring others will pick up the tab cause she hot.
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bronco » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems
At the price for air travel in her condition she should stay where she is. Medical care for such trauma is as almost as good in Croatia as in the US or Canada and it's a heck of a lot cheaper. Keep her there until she can walk onto the plane to go home.

Sounds like a scam to me, too.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby 2Bahramm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Kurt wrote:
media wrote:Reads of a scam to me. If not tough shit should have bought better insurance.

apparently a cheerleader turned prostitute did hit her head on a yacht in Croatia.

But, I sense opportunity rather than compassion. It will cost only a few thousand to travel to Croatia to be with the sister when she needs her family the most.

First it was national, then got localized and then finally international. If its a scam it is too elaborate.

Scan doc from the site.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/c ... -1.1142144

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

This what I thought was dumb about it. The most I read into it is some girl availing her self of the lack of opportunity in a former grey communist country, taking opportunity from a cosmo Canadian city and vacationing in Europe. Stupidity, the fall, lack of insurance, all things any 20 something could do. So I think its great if folks look past her curves, face, whatever and just see a person on life support instead. Why she has to vacate the space, leave etc is a good question. I think it may have something to do with services from Health Canada, coverage begins at home. Not overseas.

At a time when Canada can do fuck all for a Pussy Rioter who only "lived" here and had a health care card as well (doesnt mean citizenship) its interesting to note. Likely that staying in European hospital ; even if allowable, would only mean racking up the bill for staying "indefinitely" and would get covered at home.

As far as the brother goes, this was only 4 days ago. if they had that kind of money to all fly over there, they probably wouldn't be appealing to the public at all. He'd probably be there already but then he should have to be sacrificing every penny he has to get her home. Plus not much to do for the person while there. Spend money on air, hotels, meals...for what?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/21/fo ... ia-in-coma

Whats wrong though...only show compassion for smart people? Whats up with that? Or if they happen to have a nice or so so bod turn the compassion tap off? Could have ended up like Natalie Wood. Theres an incident where people continue to question veracity and known facts. And also involves a vacationer and a boat.
2Bahramm

Postby 2Bahramm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Kurt wrote:Poor girl.

She and her friends decided to go to Yacht Week, and she slipped and hit her head on a Yacht while "partying with new friends". Its harder to get money for an air ambulance when the pretty girl in question is a traveling call girl who saw an opportunity to score some cash "partying with new friends" than it is to raise money for a sister who was just traveling in Croatia without travel insurance.

I do resent the idea that people immediately lack compassion. But what I assume you mean by "compassion" is to donate money for her airlift. Usually when people mention lack of compassion = lack of donating money I assume they are related to the fundraiser in some way or that they are Mach.

Are you related to the fundraiser or are you Mach?

I never said or wrote a word about anyone lacking compassion but I thought of that actually. I don't equate having compassion with having money. I equate it with having a sense of empathy or sympathy for someone still so young clinging to life support.

But the comments posted to the numerous news articles indicate people can be sore about having either, never mind lacking one or the other. Sound more like they are bitchy they never get to go anywhere. lol
2Bahramm

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 pm

media wrote: End of the day she took a very nice vacation of which she obviously had the money to buy but opted not to buy insurance. Don't have a whole lot of sympathy. He lack of preparation is now an emergency for others? Call your consulate/embassy and roll the dice see what they can do,

How much dick does a girl gotta suck for a bit of insurance money anyway?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby media » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Compassion? Next time I jet off to go hang with the big dogs at Yacht Week and really cant afford it and skimp on the insurance feel free to leave me in the Croatian hospital. I have no problem with that.
media
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe