Cons for Nerds

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Cons for Nerds

Postby vagabond » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:44 am

B/c cons seem to be the preferred shoe of BFCers and, as I've noticed recently, there's a lot of nerds here:

http://fashionablygeek.com/shoes/support-your-favorite-house-with-these-game-of-thrones-converse-high-tops/

Support Your Favorite House With These “Game of Thrones” Converse High Tops

"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re: Cons for Nerds

Postby JITW » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 am

Well I guess not everyone needs sex

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:51 pm

JITW wrote:Well I guess not everyone needs sex

~JITW

Yea, cos the wimmen folk just love a man with shoes that are done up with velcro.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby JITW » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:45 pm

BAM!

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:17 am

I've seen a lot of these on Etsy, too - they design a color scheme using Converse.com's custom design function, then add stitching or iron-ons or whatever, and voila, you've got a Battlestar Galactica- or Firefly- or whatever show-themed shoe. It's expensive!

So, I guess Chucks aren't really in style right now in the USA, but they were all over Latin America when I left, especially Costa Rica and El Salvador where I was working. So when I got back, they were sort of my default shoe, while everyone here was wearing very expensive (because they're made in China - I know Converse is too but they're still like $35, as opposed to $115 like so many Chinese shoes) boots and heels, which I didn't really want to shell out for. And man, my sister would complain - even though I had a couple of awesome guys I was dating and she had no one - about how unfashionable I was and so on. But whatever, if I have work, sex, and friends, I'm not too worried about my shoes.

Then we went to Europe together, including Madrid and Paris, big shoe cities, right? And on the plane, my sister was snorting that I was soooo unfashionable in my Chucks. I was too busy texting my rich, handsome bf who was telling me to have a safe flight to bother much with her. Then we got to Europe. OMG. It seemed like everyone in both Madrid and Paris was wearing Chucks, it was so funny. Really high fashion women, too - you'd see a green Prada handbag paired with green Converse. Hilarious. My sister had brought boots and heels, which are super uncomfortable for walking, especially on cobblestones, which I suppose is why we saw maybe ten women in all of Paris wearing them. Chucks, on the other hand, were everywhere. Haha who would have thought a tomboy like me would finally find herself on the fashion tip in Paris, of all places....
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:03 pm

I think I am the only nerd and one of the only people who hate Converse shoes.

Best canvas shoes I ever had were a pair of $10 Chinese made ones I got at a Wal Mart. They had a vulcanized rubber soul like a car tire.

I've had sharp sticks go through Chuck Taylors. They suck and are a variety of infections waiting to happen.

Plus you cannot wash them in a washing machine if you need to.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Zero » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Kurt wrote:I think I am the only nerd and one of the only people who hate Converse shoes.

Best canvas shoes I ever had were a pair of $10 Chinese made ones I got at a Wal Mart. They had a vulcanized rubber soul like a car tire.

I've had sharp sticks go through Chuck Taylors. They suck and are a variety of infections waiting to happen.

Plus you cannot wash them in a washing machine if you need to.

I thought I was the only one. I use these for weightlifting and that's about it.
Zero
Salva Nos

Return to Black Flag Cafe