Top 10 List on the presidential campaign

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Top 10 List on the presidential campaign

Postby Jäeger » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:07 am

Well to start off with I'll introduce myself as I am a very infrequent poster, although I have been reading this forum since 2000 or so. I am currently back home in the great state of Pennsylvania after a long time spent overseas. I just flew in from my current home in Australia to go deer hunting, although I tell the folks it was to see them.

I've noticed quite a few changes since I've been back, but the current presidential campaign has just gotten me so riled up that I'm gonna sound off a bit. It seems to me that this entire campaign is run on the assumption that the American people are complete idiots that have no conception of how our political process works. I'm extremely fed up with the following:

#10. Gay Marriage

Pure and simple fact....... The federal government, and by inclusion the president has absolutely no business in legislating marriage of any kind, full-stop and end of sentance. Bush has made it an issue with his call to ammend the constitution, but let's see it for what it is, pure political bluster. It is the states' right to legislate marriage as the states see fit, and personally I could care less who a state decides can and cannot be married. It's not like marriage is anything to brag about when over half end in divorce anyway.

#9. Abortion

While I respect the fact that this is an extremely sensitive issue, the fact remains that the president has only a very indirect effect on the constitutionality of abortion. His only real effect is his appointment of justices to the supreme court. As far as judicial appointments go, things are way out of line if any president is using a litmus test for judges. If this is or will be happening, it is the Senate's duty to withold confirmation. Judges need to impartially decide cases on their merits. If any potential justices were to be appointed that will say in advance how he will rule on cases yet to be presnted, the senate should withold confirmation. Simple checks and balances.

#8. Lack of attention to the other elections.

I don't know if this is true in other parts of the country, but in my area it seems that everybody has an opinon about the presidential race while being utterly uninformed about the canidates for the Senate and State offices. Unlike when I was a lad, many folks have pschologically imbued the presidency with king-like powers. Bush/Kerry will singlehandedly win the war, eradicate terrorism, get everone a job, fix the economy, etc.etc. As I said in the previous staement checks and balances people, checks and balances.

#7. An exit strategy for Iraq.

Newsflash!! Bush and Kerry are not generals or military geniuses. As Dan Rather and the swift boat guys have not ceased to point out . It is the military's job to fight and win wars. If the generals and the admirals are not doing the job...... it is the presidents job to FIRE THEM. Simple. That's what presidents should worry about, as I want neither 4-month Kerry or guardsman Bush acting as military masterminds......... whew scary thought.

#6. Kerry/Bush on jobs.

PLEASE. What would that consist of....."I've never had to hold one, but I think there great for you people." C'mon..... if I hear either one of these clowns with silver spoons try to express some kind of concern about our jobs and the plight of the working man again........ I really think i will shoot the TV. Nuff said.

#5. Kerry's voting record.

People for some reason cannot understand how you can vote for and against something. Again a little attention in civics class may have paid off. You can like a bill, even vote for a bill and then not vote to pass it after amendments are made to said bill in committees and the like. You can then twist and turn these votes to suit whatever position you wish to present. Just another lovely benefit of being a politician in a representitive republic.

#4. The whole liberal label.

So cliche...... I mean really who actually wants to create a full-blown communist state anymore? Certainly not any of the Republicans or the Democrats, let alone Bush or Kerry...... They didn't get to be fat-cat millionaires on that logic. It's just Bush's way of appealing to his base..... because in all honesty I've only heard the liberal tag used on talk-radio since I've been back.. like I said a whole lot's changed in 10 years LOL.

#3. Dick Cheney's queer daughter, Edward's fat wife, Teresa's big mouth, Bush's slutty drunken daughters.

Really who gives a shit! I sure don't. I think that bringing familiy members into campaign is sleazy and wrong. I don't care wether it is done by the canidates themselves, news analysts, pundits, radio hosts..... it is just IRRELEVANT and WRONG. It reminds me of what they did to Chelsea Clinton years ago and it disgusts me. I want debate on the issues and coherent plans for my nation, not name calling directed at peoples families. Especially as I'm not voting for their families anyway.

#2 I have a plan.......... insert issue here.

Watched the debates and some of the speeches....... edit out the BS and here is what I kept hearing.........

I have a plan on (insert issue here). It's different and better than my opponents plan, even though I don't know what his plan is either. However I am sure that we have diametrically opposed plans and that my plan is better. I would like to tell the American people what my plan is, but I will wait until after they vote...... but rest assured I have a plan................

Oh and my opponent is a (soundbyte name calling here........ such as flip flopper, dumbass, Cheney's queer daughter, etc.)

I am sure that whatever plans they are talking about are way above my level of understanding or that I am judged to not have the attention span necessary to be able to actually hear about these plans....... but I sleep better just knowing that they have plans.

#1. The debates.

In between the name calling and the soundbytes....... the media were actually telling me that there was a debate...... and that somebody won said debate..... I was completely shocked that I missed it as I was not drinking on any of those nights. However I was confident that the "debate" that featured a "town-hall" environment may be slightly different.

So I tuned in right before the "town-hall" "debate"....... and the commentator proceded to explain that the people (AKA citizens, electorate) in the "town-hall" were only allowed to askthe questions that were approved and only as they were written. IF they happened to deviate from the question or asked something else that they may consider worth adressing to their elected officials....... their microphones would be shut off and presumably the secret service, FBI, SA, SS or someone would haul them out and taser them or something. Immediatley after being told all of this the commentator proceded to say how much the canidates were looking forward to interacting with the people in this "town-hall". hmmmmmm

Explain the current geopolitical realities of the changing world and the US role in it? In 90 seconds.....

ABSURD

Well those are the top 10 things that are firing me up about this election. Sorry if I ranted a bit, but at least I felt that I may have something to contribute a bit for once. Other than that I'm happy to be home.

I would also like to thank all of you for the useful and the unuseful information I've gleaned from this board. Along with all of the laughs I have from some of the postings.

And Dawn it's good to see that you're back and recovering as well.

Best Regards
Last edited by Jäeger on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby mach1 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:34 am

Funny stuff man

their microphones would be shut off and presumably the secret service, FBI, SA, SS or someone would haul them out and taser them or something.
-lol

shades of? ok. ne'rmind.

funny stuff man
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby Jäeger » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:21 am

Well if humour helps to get the message across..... I'm content. It was meant to be dark humour, but like all good humour, I do feel it has a basis in fact.
I'm just ashamed that these two clowns and their idea of debate is the best that my country could come up with. The fact is that the american people are talked to like idiots and fed a line by both sides, and that I do not find funny at all.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Return to Black Flag Cafe