Mother to Beg Judge to Let Sick Baby Live

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby patriot » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:55 pm

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3654417

By PA News Reporters

A mother who refuses to give up hope for her desperately-ill baby son arrived at the High Court today for a legal battle over his chances of survival.

Ruth Winston-Jones has described nine-month-old Luke as “a little fighter” and is set to tell a top judge why she disagrees with doctors who say he should not be resuscitated if his condition deteriorates.

Dame Elizabeth Butler-Sloss, president of the High Court Family Division, is being asked to rule on what should be done in the best interests of Luke, who suffers from a rare genetic disorder.

The scheduled two-day public hearing in London follows a judge’s ruling earlier this month giving doctors permission not to ventilate tiny premature baby Charlotte Wyatt if her breathing stops.

In Luke’s case, the Royal Liverpool Children’s NHS Trust and North West Wales NHS Trust are seeking a court declaration on what treatment is required and what should be withheld in the absence of agreement between doctors and his mother.

Ms Winston-Jones, 35, from Holyhead in North Wales, says she will fight the doctors’ application, which she describes as “a death sentence”.

She is separated from her husband and has two other children – Andrew, 12, and Sophie, seven.

Luke was given only a short time to live after he was diagnosed with Edwards Syndrome. He also suffers from a hole in the heart.

Babies born with Edwards Syndrome, also known as Trisomy 18, have an average life span of under two months, with less than 10% surviving more than a year.

Sufferers appear thin and frail, fail to grow properly and have difficulty feeding.

An appeal fund, supported by the Duchess of York, was set up to fund Luke’s care shortly after his birth.

Ms Winston-Jones made no comment as she arrived at the High Court today surrounded by her lawyers.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Romeo247 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:13 pm

im glad they have neuroloigists..... i know i would order a eeg of the brain and see what levels of response are really there.. if it was basic life functions and nothing more... i would terminate life support and allow them to go ""home"" '

i dont understand why the court is involved.. that confuses me..
Whats the #1 cause of divorce?? MARRIAGE
---- Fact
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby roxy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:47 pm

i dont understand why the court is involved.. that confuses me..

Very simple. If the medics think that there is no point continuing with resuscitation and the parent disagrees, the medics WANT the law to pronounce on the legality of going against the parents wishes.

Wouldn’t you?

BTW, the outcome of the case was that the court ruled that it was not in the interests of the child to resuscitate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/3764938.stm

[/quote]
Organized religion is like organized crime; it preys on peoples' weaknesses, generates huge profits for its operators, and is almost impossible to eradicate - Mike Hermann
roxy
BFCus Regularus

Postby mach1 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:59 pm

who do we think we are

to

make

value judgements and pronoucements

while

sipping tea and crumpets from the keyboard

or quaffing beer and smoking dope if thats your bag

whats with all the stuff with mommies and stuff patriot?

how peculiar.

creeps.
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby patriot » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:09 pm

What the fuck are you babbling about Mach?
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby britneyfan97 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:32 pm

after coding a couple of times the little guy probably isn't going to have much of a life - and i respect the mothers fight to keep going, but she's not the one being deprived of oxygen...

deceased infants are the worst, i get called for that every now and then. we have a special box we keep them in, and even have a little teddy bear for each of the kids.
Proud of being first in the schools history to set a Government vehicle ablaze at Army Military Police Special Tactics Training Center.
britneyfan97
BFCus Regularus

Postby yorick » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:01 pm

You got it, Mach... another dumb cunt thread - kinda like that one about home-schooling.

Sure, it's easy for Mommy to say she wants high-dolllar intensive care 24/7 for the poor litte bastard...... but what says the Duchess of York who's footing the bill??

Otherwise I kinda like the idea of wealthy folk making hobbies at keeping one or two genetically disabled and horribly crippled little babies alive hooked up to apparatus in fish bowls.

I wonder if the Duchess of York goes to visit her invalid pet, tapping on the glass and making baby-talk to the constantly suffering little creature as the Duchess herself savors and relishes every gasping breath of air the dying baby takes.

(:=
yorick
malum discordiae

Postby Romeo247 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:37 pm

britneyfan97 wrote:i get called for that every now and then. we have a special box we keep them in.

what the hell do u keep them in a box for?? here the county corner or the funeral home would deal with that... im not knocking ya.. granted i dont like most cops and i have some great friends who are.. but why keep the deceased??
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:14 pm

You got it, Mach... another dumb cunt thread - kinda like that one about home-schooling.

If you don't like my posts or my articles don't read them. You don't hear me making fun of Mach's silly "I need help with my love-life" posts, or the lack of informative posts from you.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby mach1 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:38 pm

Your absolutely right patriot.

I was thinking along the lines of

who are we men

to stand here and make pronouncements and judgement calls

regarding a mothers right to protect the life of her child/baby?

Its not our sex, our gender, so how does that give us a right to even speak on the issue?

Probably would boil down to money again.

Cant we see its enough?
mach1

Postby patriot » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:04 pm

Mach, I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you condeming the courts involvement in this matter? Are you mad because I posted a couple of articles about women's rights? What is up with you dude? Speak plainly for a change.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:56 pm

mach - remember to take them EVERY day - otherwise the haldol doesn't work and we get threads like this.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby mach1 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:42 am

No you guys are blaming emotion for a fault in logic which followed after

I wrote

Your absolutely right patriot.

which I meant sincerely.

But Patriot wrote

If you don't like my posts or my articles don't read them. You don't hear me making fun of Mach's silly "I need help with my love-life" posts, or the lack of informative posts from you.

In response to yoricks comment:

But I admit I made a mistake in replying to Patriots comment as if he were addressing it me. My mistake, sorry.

To explain my view....I see now theres a woman judge and the story is about a woman and the rights of her childs right to life. My thrust was who are we men to speculate>?

where is the father in this..shouldn't he be given a say?

I feel sort of caddy even venturing an opinion. Its too heady. He's a boy I am a man... please give him a chance to live?

I initially sort of saw this as sort of circus merry go round type
speculation

suitable for the ilk and kith and kin of

ambulance chasers, war tourists, rubber neckers, gapers and voyeurs, tabloid addicts etc

and those in legions with them.

Sorry about that.

Not so good at explaining my self.

What type of person would think a 90 percent chance
of dying doesnt mean that that other ten percent is not worth
considering?

I was probably thinking theres some type of a semblance of an argument for the PROTRACTED COSTS of supporting the child should he be a 'miracle' baby and get a second chance and be in the 10 PERCENT club.

Not a moral one. Or a medical one. I know too little about it. NAd its not an argument or a stand or stance I would personally make.

But your right its a good story. Thanks for the chance for me to ruminate on the larger implications. Made me actaully think...
mach1

Postby fgmsociety » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:57 pm

I think its interesting using something that men rever and constantly crave as an insult as in dumb "c"...Yorick?
fgmsociety
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:33 pm

fgmsociety wrote:I think its interesting using something that men rever and constantly crave as an insult as in dumb "c"...Yorick?

We love 'em, we hate 'em. Nothing new about that I suppose.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe