How long has this place got?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How long before RYP scuttles this scurvy ship?

Imminent - we are at DEFCON Fucking 1! Buckle up, it's been a lovely war.
10%
Two weeks max - if the vlindsay story runs for another 7 days then he will be getting twitchy and tetchy
2%
One month max - we are one lawyer's email away from the red button being pushed
4%
Six months - the patient is now definitely dying but life support will continue until all residual brain activity ceases
8%
Never! BFC will never die, we will rebound and go onwards to new heights with interesting and amusing people engaged in free discourse (been a bit too much 'free discourse' if you arx me)
61%
Who fucking cares - I'd rather twitter twats and fuck facebook buddies
14%

Total votes : 49

Re: How long has this place got?

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Aryan wrote:
Kurt wrote:What do you mean by:
dobbed.

Snitched. I thought you were down Kurt.
Kurt wrote:end.

Whatever initiated the Bournemouth investigation.
Kurt wrote:honourable thing.

Did she go to the university herself, and admit the she basically cocked up her thesis.

You can make a million excuses for her . If she hadn't written (or paid someone to write, allegedly) a crap thesis, the dude who wanted revenge on her wouldn't have had it so easy.

I can make a million excuses for her. Or not. Defense does not imply guilt.

No one "snitched" on her except for maybe people here who were inspired to do so by the e-mail sent detailing her behavior. The folks who sent the e-mail will not "snitch" themselves.

The Thesis was defended, with the admission of potential conflicts of interest and a PhD was given. Like I said, if you really want to know this you can contact Bournemouth yourself, but you won't. You can contact them and post the reply they give you here and no one will stop you. I will even "sticky" it to the top for all to see no matter what they say.

Promise.

But I am not gonna do that work for you.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Aryan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Kurt wrote:
Aryan wrote:
Kurt wrote:What do you mean by:
dobbed.

Snitched. I thought you were down Kurt.
Kurt wrote:end.

Whatever initiated the Bournemouth investigation.
Kurt wrote:honourable thing.

Did she go to the university herself, and admit the she basically cocked up her thesis.

You can make a million excuses for her . If she hadn't written (or paid someone to write, allegedly) a crap thesis, the dude who wanted revenge on her wouldn't have had it so easy.

I can make a million excuses for her. Or not. Defense does not imply guilt.

No one "snitched" on her except for maybe people here who were inspired to do so by the e-mail sent detailing her behavior. The folks who sent the e-mail will not "snitch" themselves.

The Thesis was defended, with the admission of potential conflicts of interest and a PhD was given. Like I said, if you really want to know this you can contact Bournemouth yourself, but you won't. You can contact them and post the reply they give you here and no one will stop you. I will even "sticky" it to the top for all to see no matter what they say.

Promise.

But I am not gonna do that work for you.

It's been 6 months, you're still just as touchy as when this was last brought up.

How come you know I won't contact Bournemouth? Is that some sort of double bluff? Also, how do you know the "folks who sent the email" (I assume you mean Penta and Jaegar) won't/didn't snitch? Their name isn't on the thesis, they didn't get the PhD credentials. If I contact Bournemouth uni Vlindsay, will they update me on all this? Members of this forum shouldn't be left high and dry.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aryan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Also, why is the thesis no longer available? I thought that was just a temporary measure, and that it was available through Bournemouth directly. Given that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the thesis, shouldn't VLindsay be handing it out to everyone?
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Aryan wrote:It's been 6 months, you're still just as touchy as when this was last brought up.

How come you know I won't contact Bournemouth? Is that some sort of double bluff? Also, how do you know the "folks who sent the email" (I assume you mean Penta and Jaegar) won't/didn't snitch? Their name isn't on the thesis, they didn't get the PhD credentials. If I contact Bournemouth uni Vlindsay, will they update me on all this? Members of this forum shouldn't be left high and dry.

Penta and Jaeger won't snitch. If you contact Bournemouth and ask for an explanation I have no idea whether they will give you one or not. I am not certain of their policy on this.

I know you won't contact Bournemouth because if you would have you would have done so while the fire was hot so to speak. I don't know what a double bluff is, you mean reverse, reverse psychology? I am a bit too aspergerish to bother with that sort of thing. I say "you wont do it" simply because I do not think you will do it. I say "do it" not to get you to not do it because there is a scary thing behind the curtain or because I am afraid you will do it and when the mystery event happens I will be worse off in some way. I say "contact Bournemouth" simply because I want to see what happens, what they say and all of that. Plus it would be good to have an official comment on this for those who would like one.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Aryan wrote:Also, why is the thesis no longer available? I thought that was just a temporary measure, and that it was available through Bournemouth directly. Given that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the thesis, shouldn't VLindsay be handing it out to everyone?

This is just the thing to contact Bournemouth for and discover the reason.

Because Vlindsay is not talking here and I really don't know why it is not available. I know it was available for a while after it was published but before people dropped their fudge.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby db36046 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 pm

The nature of this beast is that a lot of us only check in once in a while, usually when we have something substantive to say or need some information, or are just looking for some more or less like-minded company to pass the time of day. Sort of like a café where people who travel to dangerous places might hang out, a Star Wars Cantina, if you will. (Now there's an original thought!) The rest of the time most of us are too busy to hang out, so it may give the impression we aren't interested.

Rest assured, RYP and other moderators, we do check in, read a few posts, and may even contribute when we have something worth contributing. The Middle School diatribes are just something "up with which we have to put" for the sake of the real value we find here. It's a niche market, and there will inevitably be wannabes, hangers-on, and posers gathered as well.

A water hole in the desert attracts all kinds.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:47 pm

db36046 wrote:The nature of this beast is that a lot of us only check in once in a while, usually when we have something substantive to say or need some information, or are just looking for some more or less like-minded company to pass the time of day. Sort of like a café where people who travel to dangerous places might hang out, a Star Wars Cantina, if you will. (Now there's an original thought!) The rest of the time most of us are too busy to hang out, so it may give the impression we aren't interested.

Rest assured, RYP and other moderators, we do check in, read a few posts, and may even contribute when we have something worth contributing. The Middle School diatribes are just something "up with which we have to put" for the sake of the real value we find here. It's a niche market, and there will inevitably be wannabes, hangers-on, and posers gathered as well.

A water hole in the desert attracts all kinds.

Phew, that's a relief.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Zero » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:26 am

Till I get doxxed.
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 pm

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 pm

You need to get out more.....

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:29 am

svizzerams wrote:You need to get out more.....

What kind of cad uses an over and under on grouse?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:27 am

It's struggling on all right this place, it's still fucking shit mind, but there is some (OCD?) entertainment to be had reading shit from dullards with fuck all to say about anything 'DP' (that's such an inappropriate old meme it needs binning BTW - dangerous places my fucking arse).

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:52 am

8 pages about "when will the ship sink'.
The ship is always sinking and none of us will ever see the shore again.
I intend to fuck/fight a shark
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:59 am

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hansol » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Can someone give me the Coles Notes here? What I gather is:

- Vlindsay drafted her PhD thesis on the Flag somehow (Psychology? Sociology?);
- Vlindsay got busted;
- During this time, Vlinday banged some dudes from the Flag;
- Some people at the Flag were pissed about being used and contacted Vlinsay's University (?) alleging misconduct;
- Investigation regarding misconduct is ongoing;
- Vlindsay got paid for all of this somehow;
- The Flag is still pissed?

So what am I missing? Normally I could give two shits about this, but I figure if we have 8 pages on this, and it's supposedly the downfall of the entire Flag, I should maybe see what the hell is going on here.

As for if the Flag is finished, if RYP is actually drafting a real DP6, then not to worry. I think most people came to this place originally by the way of DP4, and DP5 bolstered the ranks. That was circa 2004... New DP6 = fresh faces. No DP6 = same old. Either way the Flag carries on. We are like the cockroaches of the nuclear appocalypse: Love us or hate us, we are here.
guy: So what you're saying...
me: Yeah, pretty much.
Hansol
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe