How long has this place got?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How long before RYP scuttles this scurvy ship?

Imminent - we are at DEFCON Fucking 1! Buckle up, it's been a lovely war.
10%
Two weeks max - if the vlindsay story runs for another 7 days then he will be getting twitchy and tetchy
2%
One month max - we are one lawyer's email away from the red button being pushed
4%
Six months - the patient is now definitely dying but life support will continue until all residual brain activity ceases
8%
Never! BFC will never die, we will rebound and go onwards to new heights with interesting and amusing people engaged in free discourse (been a bit too much 'free discourse' if you arx me)
61%
Who fucking cares - I'd rather twitter twats and fuck facebook buddies
14%

Total votes : 49

Re: How long has this place got?

Postby RYP » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Now that Nowanmai is actually posting something of interest, who is a troll and must die and who is a pillar of internet posting society? Shall we murder the trolls or let them defecate on themselves in public for our amusement?
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby flipflop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:52 pm

Are you back posting here because you've been banned from Facebook?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby RYP » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Nope, I told everyone that the new year will bring change. I normally converse in real time with real people. I am just waiting for the web updates.
RYP

Postby MJK » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:11 am

I think the fewer filters the better. I manage to glean something worthwhile from almost everyone who posts here; I pick up enough good stuff from Q, Nowonmai and FF to regret the fact they don't care for RYP and may move on. I'd ask the boss to leave it up to them. RYP has had pretty thick skin when it comes to behavior here and I hope that policy is continued into the bright, Clinton-free future we see before us. If the three aforementioned folks were to continue to try to sprinkle shit onto RYP's nachos while keeping it below the level that gets them banned, well I for one would continue to find it all entertaining.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:03 pm

I never created this place for fanboys, as I have said many times, it was a real time dropbox for things that are interesting and social center for people who might find a useful contact in a shithole. You would be surprised how much stuff disappears from the internet. I still get an email every year to take off Tom Hank's home address.

Who fucks who and who hates who, and what people think does not concern me. I have met many of the people here and they are typically intelligent individualist searching for new ideas. All I ask is they not get too stupid or narcissistic in their self supporting rants and respect others opinions and points of view. Come 2017, the trolls will be culled and we will be discussing things of merit. I have been busy overseas and on many projects. You are also welcome to sign up on my Facebook page but I tend to banned from Facebook for bizarre reasons.
RYP

Postby flipflop » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Take out the trolls and there's nothing left, you'd be re-animating a long dead corpse. Forums have gone the same way as the VHS videotape.

But whatever floats your boat

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Farmdog » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:53 pm

I look forward to the 2017 revision. My last job made the flag slow go terrain. I had a great time and met a lot of great people. Headed back to the tactical level of life so I hope that I will be able to access the flag more often.
Farmdog
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:30 am

flipflop wrote:Take out the trolls and there's nothing left

This.

The time to act was years ago.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:44 am

ROB wrote:
flipflop wrote:Take out the trolls and there's nothing left

This.

The time to act was years ago.

One year five months ago presumably.

Polo’s Rabble
Home › Forums › Polo’s Rabble
This forum contains 2,381 topics and 9,540 replies, and was last updated by Profile photo of ROB ROB 1 year, 5 months ago.

Your Old Username and Password Should Work Started by: Profile photo of ROB 1 year, 5 months ago

TOUR BUSES TO SRI LANKA'S BATTLEFIELDS Started by: Profile photo of ROB 2 years, 5 months ago

All Done! Started by: Profile photo of ROB 2 years, 6 months ago

Test again Started by: Profile photo of ROB 2 years, 6 months ago Profile photo of Penta2
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:31 am

Times ROB has chased Nowonmai around the internet: 0
Times Nowonmai has chased ROB around the internet: 3493

At least you care.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:30 am

Keep digging
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:31 am

ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:42 pm

popcorn time.
RYP

There Was a Hey Day Here

Postby Jefe » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:49 pm

All was riding high on the heels of the first couple versions of the World's Most Dangerous Places. Very well done books and Robert, whatever else we disagree on, you can take that as a sincere compliment to hang on to.

The first two years I joined, it really was people posting from the ground. Then came the hordes of Guardianites. People copying and pasting, led by Penta who I think contributed to the downfall of the place like no other troll. One of the actual guys I met from this site was mocked horribly for a post asking where I was etc. We linked up offline and the guy is legendary professional and we worked in a DP and did something great on each side of different houses.

I had one poster who was a neighbor in Iraq. Ironic. Knew him professionally from the ground and lo and behold, a year later here it became apparent who he was. Yet another pro from the ground posting helpful stuff who had the hordes shitting on the info. And then there's Dr. Dave who I think got some active support from this site and the projects he runs are from a guy who clearly is a field type of guy who does great stuff. His wife's story is something that strikes home as well as I grew up fighting communists.

Then the abject frauds infiltrating the RYP inner circle. RYP I don't think liked competition from the ground and I do think it was more of a site for self promotion regardless of what he says. A string of fucking over companies and people that helped him. (KURT; you are respectfully excluded and well regarded. Others I just don't know).

Subsequent DP books were more political statements of a left wing philosophy full of head swelling and an army of other people writing the stuff. I hate the US, but I moved to the US and live there was a constant theme in the site for "mercenaries, etc" LOL, when they started showing up, all hell broke loose.

Contracting exploded and so did traveler post 911. People started calling bullshit (legit people) and the Guardianites stormed the gates which were not closed.

Polo's Bastards emerged and was an outstanding site that just lost momentum from contributors I guess. I enjoyed the hell out of it while it was active and wish old Rob very well and his associates too.

Sigh, not really. Just that I am out of coffee.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:59 pm

I wonder why people call me both left wing and right wing? I am neither. Nor do I have any interest in a polarized environment. Competition from whom? The reason this places exists is to get divergent opinions (see first sentence)

Yes, in my opinion, manipulative trolls and real world psychos like Penta who have little to do with the subject matter of this forum, have created quite a bit of dissent. My apologies for not exterminating them sooner. As I mentioned we currently have three, I only allow one a time.

"Subsequent DP books were more political statements of a left wing philosophy full of head swelling and an army of other people writing the stuff. .....there was a constant theme in the site for "mercenaries, etc" LOL, when they started showing up, all hell broke loose."

I spent three years writing a book about mercenaries, paramilitaries and security contractors called Licensed to Kill. Also wrote HHH, my times in Somalia, Raven, Saving South Sudan, Lost in the Gap, Finding Bergdahl and plenty of other stuff in between films and "stuff" in places like Libya, Afghanistan, Somalia etc. Not quite sure where the "army" came from. It's quite clear that I love working with contributors for DP and they are clearly mentioned in the front of the book.

I self published the first three editions and Harper Collins did the subsequent ones and I have been remiss in updating the last version because I have been busy doing other things. Those things that some people here constantly stomp around and insist I don't do dangerously.

Many of the folks you might be missing here are on my private Facebook page. Facebook has an easier interface but there is zero control over the content. So it has its ups and downs. This forum has only been, what, 32 years? Longer than Joanie Loves Chachi.
RYP

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe