How long has this place got?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How long before RYP scuttles this scurvy ship?

Imminent - we are at DEFCON Fucking 1! Buckle up, it's been a lovely war.
10%
Two weeks max - if the vlindsay story runs for another 7 days then he will be getting twitchy and tetchy
2%
One month max - we are one lawyer's email away from the red button being pushed
4%
Six months - the patient is now definitely dying but life support will continue until all residual brain activity ceases
8%
Never! BFC will never die, we will rebound and go onwards to new heights with interesting and amusing people engaged in free discourse (been a bit too much 'free discourse' if you arx me)
61%
Who fucking cares - I'd rather twitter twats and fuck facebook buddies
14%

Total votes : 49

Re: How long has this place got?

Postby coldharvest » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Kurt wrote:
Aryan wrote:The fate of this place was sealed when RYP ordered the nuking of Fansy's thread. His chief minion didn't follow through (yet), but the wheels are now in motion regardless.

I don't understand. Who ordered what? And by minion do you mean me?

when did you get promoted to minion?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:16 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Kurt wrote:
Aryan wrote:The fate of this place was sealed when RYP ordered the nuking of Fansy's thread. His chief minion didn't follow through (yet), but the wheels are now in motion regardless.

I don't understand. Who ordered what? And by minion do you mean me?

when did you get promoted to minion?

Since I left out all that poison for the flying monkeys.

I mean...really, how long can we allow a species to live that both can fly and fling poo?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby RYP » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:56 pm

we are all minions.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby bearanddragon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:40 am

i really like this site and reading everyone's comments. but i think the concept of a forum in general needs to modernize. I do most of my online stuff through a phone nowadays, and so apps such as facebook - which I think like everyone here shares a love/hate relationship with - tend to be easy. An app, or an easy way to integrate with a phone would keep me posting much more regularly.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:48 am

bearanddragon wrote:i really like this site and reading everyone's comments. but i think the concept of a forum in general needs to modernize. I do most of my online stuff through a phone nowadays, and so apps such as facebook - which I think like everyone here shares a love/hate relationship with - tend to be easy. An app, or an easy way to integrate with a phone would keep me posting much more regularly.

You are right.

Just out of curiousity does the BFC size down to your phone? It does not with mine.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:56 am

Kurt wrote:
bearanddragon wrote:i really like this site and reading everyone's comments. but i think the concept of a forum in general needs to modernize. I do most of my online stuff through a phone nowadays, and so apps such as facebook - which I think like everyone here shares a love/hate relationship with - tend to be easy. An app, or an easy way to integrate with a phone would keep me posting much more regularly.

You are right.

Just out of curiousity does the BFC size down to your phone? It does not with mine.

It does with mine

Why not go the whole hog and we can just tweet recipes to each other while we're sipping lattes in Starbucks
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:10 am

http://www.tapatalk.com/faq.php <-- might be a mobile solution.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby RYP » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 pm

good point. We need to join the face down generation...particualarily in areas of great peril
RYP

Postby coldharvest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Even the loyal peanut gallery who will be in the last Hilux with you as the drones are circling overhead are incapable of maintaining the required energy to keep a place like this vibrant and relevant.

....being one of the peanuts I feel it necessary to point out that Robert is a fuckin' solid individual
who will always to go to the wall for his friends.
Ms. V is a dumpy middle-englander who abused the hospitality of the BFC....that's not Robert or Kurt's fault.
....and she had written her thesis before she became a mod.

....I mean fuckin' seriously....a Ph.d for being a BFC voyeur?

as far as the energy to keep this place vibrant....fuck, what are you? a paying customer?
I've spent years being funny here.....that and a slap in the mouth will get you a fight in any town.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby nowonmai » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Even the loyal peanut gallery who will be in the last Hilux with you as the drones are circling overhead are incapable of maintaining the required energy to keep a place like this vibrant and relevant.

....being one of the peanuts I feel it necessary to point out that Robert is a fuckin' solid individual
who will always to go to the wall for his friends.
Ms. V is a dumpy middle-englander who abused the hospitality of the BFC....that's not Robert or Kurt's fault.
....and she had written her thesis before she became a mod.

....I mean fuckin' seriously....a Ph.d for being a BFC voyeur?

as far as the energy to keep this place vibrant....fuck, what are you? a paying customer?
I've spent years being funny here.....that and a slap in the mouth will get you a fight in any town.

Would that he gave as much of a shit about you.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:56 pm

I found the original letter in which I was asked what I thought of a study of the Flag...2008. For fuck's sake. Half a decade ago...

and yes, as I have said before the people on this forum are quite pleasant and interesting. That goes for Cold who I consider a friend even if he did hold me hostage and force me to pay him a ransom to release me.
RYP

Postby nowonmai » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Four months on, would you still vote the same?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:58 pm

nowonmai wrote:Four months on, would you still vote the same?

Well, not while I was gone.

But now, sure.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby RYP » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Nowanmai lives in a permanent state of 2008
RYP

Postby JITW » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:43 am

The decline of the BFC has nothing to do with RYP or anyone else here - Forums are just dead in general, people use apps now and forums are hard to read on an iPhone, people want 'instant gratification' that comes from checking in on a phone whenever they have a sec, no one wants to wait until they get home to check whatever forum they post on and most sites like this are blocked at work but they can still use their phone.

Its that simple - I give forums in general less that 2 years before they go the way of VHS

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe