One for Dave at Xmas

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

One for Dave at Xmas

Postby flipflop » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 am

Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Re: One for Dave at Xmas

Postby nowonmai » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Actually, I think Jesus thinks he's a cunt too.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:33 pm

See, this is why a once vibrant, interesting collection of people don't want to come here anymore. I suppose it's antagonistic even to bring it up, rather than just let this thread float to the bottom, but I'll say it anyway.

I get it, you don't like Dawud. Everyone who can still stand posting regularly on the BFC already knows that. You've both made that abundantly clear. But Dawud didn't even post anything first - he rarely posts here anymore. Like most of the BFCers who actually travel or have interesting lives, he's kind of given up on it. He probably won't even see this post, since he's busy with a new baby and it will likely fall off the front page in a few days. Even if he does see it, there's no information in this post that is interesting, worthy of discussion, or related to danger travel or dangerous places. It's just a shout out saying, "I am better than a person who rarely posts on a largely abandoned Internet forum." There's really nowhere you can go with that, as far as an interesting discussion. I guess other people who want it known among a group of ten or twelve people that they are better than someone who rarely posts on a largely abandoned Internet forum might chime in, but it's still kind of a dead-end topic.

It's just so sad to see such an interesting collection of people disperse. But the fact is that if they post here, about anything, they're more likely to spend their energy fending off attacks from two or three people who have an immense amount of time on their hands for such endeavors. Rather than enjoying an interesting discussion with several people who have interesting insights, unusual sources, or on-the-ground knowledge, which would be worth their time. Heck, even if they don't post here, they may be attacked for no apparent reason. So why bother?

Oh well.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby flipflop » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah, it's all my fault

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:15 pm

"there's no information in this post that is interesting, worthy of discussion, or related to danger travel or dangerous places."

I disagree. I think it's interesting and boggling that a major retailer would allow some of it's staff to refuse to carry out their work based on their religious/cultural principles, which happen to be out of line with Western Civilization, which generously allowed these shop people into their fold.
I believe that is relevant to interests in travel to "Dangerous Places", as what happens at home can affect us abroad.

Once when I was 18 I built a snowman in the backyard of my grandma's house in Bartlesville, OK as my 5 year old cousin John kept knocking it down. On purpose. The little shit. I was livid and my grandma laughed at me saying "you're as bad as he is." Point.

You've gotta be able to shrug it off and just listen, that's all.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:01 pm

friendlyskies wrote:See, this is why a once vibrant, interesting collection of people don't want to come here anymore. I suppose it's antagonistic even to bring it up, rather than just let this thread float to the bottom, but I'll say it anyway.

I get it, you don't like Dawud. Everyone who can still stand posting regularly on the BFC already knows that. You've both made that abundantly clear. But Dawud didn't even post anything first - he rarely posts here anymore. Like most of the BFCers who actually travel or have interesting lives, he's kind of given up on it. He probably won't even see this post, since he's busy with a new baby and it will likely fall off the front page in a few days. Even if he does see it, there's no information in this post that is interesting, worthy of discussion, or related to danger travel or dangerous places. It's just a shout out saying, "I am better than a person who rarely posts on a largely abandoned Internet forum." There's really nowhere you can go with that, as far as an interesting discussion. I guess other people who want it known among a group of ten or twelve people that they are better than someone who rarely posts on a largely abandoned Internet forum might chime in, but it's still kind of a dead-end topic.

It's just so sad to see such an interesting collection of people disperse. But the fact is that if they post here, about anything, they're more likely to spend their energy fending off attacks from two or three people who have an immense amount of time on their hands for such endeavors. Rather than enjoying an interesting discussion with several people who have interesting insights, unusual sources, or on-the-ground knowledge, which would be worth their time. Heck, even if they don't post here, they may be attacked for no apparent reason. So why bother?

Oh well.

This is the BFC post equivalent of Russia taking the moral high ground with Snowden. You helped to deep six this place, as has been extensively proven through rational argument on several occasions. Dawud is an irrelevant troll, always was, so a bit of piss taking of said troll makes no difference to the existence of the 'community' that you like to wear on your sleeve.

You seem to be going through one of your manic periods again. They're always fun.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jefe » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:31 am

Or the equivilent of Israel condemning US Spying and demanding the release of Israeli spy
Johnathan Pollard!

And the one thing alot of people don't get is that banter, jokes etc., coming from people who
pretty much live their lives in DPs is all legit and comes from a mindset different than those
who venture forth occassionally from average lives.

PS: I am sending that Christmas message to all my friends via email!
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:12 am

Jefe wrote:Or the equivilent of Israel condemning US Spying and demanding the release of Israeli spy
Johnathan Pollard!

I was just talking about Pollard today ...just moments ago at supper. In NYC folks are loving DA Preet Baghara for arresting a spoiled brat of a woman for Visa fraud and US labor violations and the Indians are getting all indignant at our "disgraceful" treatment of women (like they should talk) and I was hoping to God that we do not cave in and formerly apologize because then the next step will likely be releasing Pollard.

Oohhhh...So sorry we arrested someone for violating our laws. I do hope you will forgive us.

Pollard should suck it up like the Russians used to and wait for them to arrest one of ours spying over there...which is not going to happen since we don't need to spy on Israel.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:47 am

Supper? What a ponce.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:24 pm

nowonmai wrote:Supper? What a ponce.

Supper is correct in the American language. If anything Supper is considered to be more of a peasant term.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 am

American language? Talk about cultural appropriation.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:54 am

nowonmai wrote:American language? Talk about cultural appropriation.

No shit.
South American
Central American
North American (that would mostly be Canada/Yukon/Nunavut North West Territories and the United States/Alaska)

How many languages before. There's few left.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Return to Black Flag Cafe