Who started world war one?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Who started world war one?

Postby snaark » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 am

I know that this should probably go in the history forum but, since nobody ever ventures there, I shall post it here. Move it if you really must.

A couple of weeks ago I was in a small town called Topola, about an hour from Belgrade. There is a small church there in which members of the (former) Serbian royal family a buried. Nearby there is also a small museum in what was once the hunting house of Petar I, the last King of Serbia. There is not much to see, a few paintings and engravings, except for this. It's a telegram sent from the Austro-Hungarian foreign minister to Petar I on the 28th of July, 1914, declaring war on Serbia. This tiny piece of paper marks the official start of WWI! Given the current “scholarly” debate over who really started WWI, I found this pretty interesting. Feel free to share my interest (or not).

snaark
BFCus Regularus

Re: Who started world war one?

Postby coldharvest » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Otto von Bismarck
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Q » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Wrote a lengthy paper on the subject. Opinion was that the collusion of British interests and Pan-Slavism in the Balkans pretry much justifies all Central Powers actions.

Got an A on it from a super America Fuck Yeah professor, so I definitely made the case.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby snaark » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Opinion was that the collusion of British interests and Pan-Slavism in the Balkans pretry much justifies all Central Powers actions.

People around here would like to believe that.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby cbychoice » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:29 pm

This war could have been prevented, there where too may cooks in the kitchen with their own interests.
A little bit of inconsistancy saves a lot of explanation later
cbychoice
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:26 am

Fox News told me it was Obama's fault.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Yeahsure » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Good night and good luck - Edward R. Murrow
Yeahsure
BFCus Regularus

Postby DennisM » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:36 am

I heard it all started when a bloke named Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.
DennisM

Postby AztecDave » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:23 am

DennisM wrote:I heard it all started when a bloke named Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

Long live Baldrick!
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:24 am

Osiris wrote:Fox News told me it was Obama's fault.

funny, MSNBC said it was Bush's fault.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROMAD_25 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:37 pm

This reminds me of advertisements for this club near the Castro that catered to the military back when the Presidio and Treasure Island were still around.

For Armistice Day the ad would say "Come hang out with our Dough boys" and for Veterans Day it would be "The Battle of the Bulge" contest.
ROMAD_25
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:11 pm

Seriously, the Krauts did it.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby grawp » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:37 pm

Napoleon III and the generals who lost the Franco-Prussian War.
They promoted the whole sick "The Army was betrayed by the politicians" nonsense.
This to distract from the General Staff's being too hidebound and conservative.
Or to have learned anything from the string of failures they'd had since the Crimean War, viz:
1) Their useless excursion against Juarez in Mexico
2) Colonial silliness in Africa and southeast Asia that garnered a record for genocide only slightly better than that of Belgium in the Congo
3) A good old boy network shot through with anti-semitism that culminated in the ridiculous Dreyfus Affair
4) Their not paying attention to or learning from other wars, the American Civil War in particular.
5) not showing interest in technical innovations derived from other fields, as exemplified by the Germans studying how Ringling Bros. loads their circus trains to increase efficiency in their rail movement of troops, equipment and supplies.
The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us.
But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity!

- Theodore Roosevelt – “The Wind & the Lion” (1975)
grawp
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROMAD_25 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:15 am

coldharvest wrote:Seriously, the Krauts did it.

Without a doubt.

Money talks and bullshit walks and without financing from the Krauts, the only thing Austria-Hungary was capable of doing involved piss and moaning. I aint no scholar because assholes smell like my opinions; however the way I see it, Germany started the war by giving Austria-Hungary access to it's PayPal account, poking it's finger in the chest of Nick The Dick from Russia and bringing Wienerschnitzel franchises to Luxembourg. These things kinda makes the point a little sharper for my feeble mind...
ROMAD_25
BFCus Regularus

Postby El Presidente » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:32 am

Max Hastings in his latest book "Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes to War" makes a pretty compelling argument that Germany may not have "started" the war, they were most responsible for egging it on. While British, Hastings offers a ruthless criticism of Britain's incompetence and even suggests borderline-criminal cowardice by UK commanders during the early months of WW1 which adds to his already persuasive argument against "no one was at fault".
El Presidente
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe