Advice on how to get into PMC Industry

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Advice on how to get into PMC Industry

Postby Wez » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:52 am

Hey guys,

So as per my introductory post, I am interested in joining or getting involved in the PMC Industry however I would like some advice on how best to do this and what skills, requirements will I need to help make me more employable.

My current qualifications and experience is:
Industrial Engineering Degree
Project Management experience
Currently studying an MBA

As you would have gathered is that I don't have any military or law enforcement experience.

Would anyone be able to assist by providing advice on what else I need to obtain to become more employable- I would like to be employed in dealing with business aspects because that's what experience and expertise I have.

Thanks in advance

Wez

"Admin Note- this post isn't an attempt to put my CV/Resume out but rather to obtain advice on what else do I need to become employable in the industry"
Wez
mach

Re: Advice on how to get into PMC Industry

Postby soren » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Advice portion: don't do it.

How-to do it portion: If you have no experience, get some. Or buy your way in. If you bought UN DSS some nice helicopters and wanted to write checks to NGOs in a dangerous place that doesn't get enough in donations from the international community, you could become well liked and fatten your resume really quick. You could probably buy into boutique military services that are late on rent but still have influential names on the door plates. You could marry someone with the credentials, qualifications and political access you need. There are many ways to do it.

If your budget is less princely, find coursework and internships that will give you relevant certifications and get you into the field. Reliefweb.int has a jobs database and there are a few open positions in security management in South Sudan, etc. Lkewise there are lists of trainings.

"Task Rabbit for Spies" this was an idea thrown out in a recent online forum about over-classification and the inevitable decline in top-secret professional jobs. Write up a bunch of dossiers from public sources on likely intel targets and sell them on eBay or its Dark Web equivalent and advertise your availability to do that sort of tedious work for spies and contractors in hurry.

Always be the person who takes the vodka butt shots photos, not the guy in the photos, and have fun!
trouble :)
soren
BFCus Regularus

Postby Toxic Ed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:22 pm

Wez -

I had a background remarkably similar to yours a decade ago, and have spent the last 10+ years now in one "Conflict Zone" or another - so yes it can be done! For the sake of argument, I'll assume you're a U.S. citizen - if not, then feel free to skip my reply entirely as it probably won't be of much use...

If I had remained here in civilization, I would have probably been a VP of something by now. Or dead at my desk from a heart attack brought on by too much office politics, commuting in traffic, and stress. Regardless, I'd be older and in bad physical shape had I decided to stay inside the rat race...

Instead I have had the chance to see and do a lot of cool shit that I normally wouldn't have and make a little bit of money while doing it. I've also experienced bucket-loads of boredom, incompetence, stupidity and "Hurry up and Wait".

The first question you need to ask yourself is "Why?"... Are you looking for Money? Travel? Adventure? Trigger time?

There are better ways to make money, and the Golden Heyday of "as many warm bodies as we can get" over in Afghanistan and Iraq to do security work for prime wages is long gone. Those with special skill sets, such as current and former SOF guys with active TS/SCI clearances will always be in high demand for short and long term gigs someplace. UAV pilots, fixed wing pilots, and chopper pilots with current FAA Medicals will generally be able to find employment somewhere especially if they're willing to travel to places that are falling apart. Unusual language skills (i.e., native speaking ability) in something that's suddenly become vital to national security will always be a home run - extra bonus points if you already have a security clearance or are at least able to get one.

If you want to see the world, you can sign on with the Merchant Marines, work on a cruise ship, or you can do a stint in the Peace Corps - in the latter case you'll end up speaking a foreign language and have preferential hiring status for Federal Employment (except for some of the Intel agencies who tend to frown on that sort of thing). After your 2 years you can go on to your normal life a totally changed person and you'll have stories to tell over and over and over for a lifetime!

If you want adventure, that can be done in a zillion different ways other than standing around at a gate in 106 degree heat wearing a Kevlar helmet, a frag vest and of course a "Reflective Belt". Shooting someone these days in a place like Iraq puts you at risk to ending up on the receiving end of Sharia Law with absolutely no help from our State Department if you're a contractor doing security work. It doesn't matter that you were doing work for our government - you will be left twisting in the wind when the SHTF. Seriously. I was in Iraq when the DoS sold us out and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there...

Enough of the long-winded crap, though - the three (3) ingredients that will get you there are Experience, a Security Clearance, a needed Skill Set. Here's what I would suggest:

1. Give some serious consideration to Part-Time military service in any branch - up to and including Coast Guard. For example, Army National Guard needs engineers - in return you'll get weapons training, a security clearance (go in as an officer since you already have the degree!) and actually get the chance to deploy most likely, which wasn't so many years ago. In the meantime you can work doing whatever you'd like. You can do your initial hitch or stay 20 years doing "one weekend a month, two weeks a year" and you come way with a pension and Veteran status. You'll have lifetime health insurance coverage, retirement pay (which be quite considerable depending on Time in Service / Time in Grade) and of course there's the GI Bill, VA loans, and time spent drinking at the American Legion or the VFW Hall when it's all just a distant memory. IMHO the National Guard is one of the best deals around!

2. Work for a local security company, even if it's doing "Mall Cop" type stuff as long as its armed. If you don't want to do time in uniform, you're going to have to pay your dues someplace. You'll get some basic "how to shoot a pistol" training, First Aid courses and experience that MIGHT help get you to your goal. Try to find a company doing DoD (Department of Defense) work that requires "cleared" guards. This means you will be sponsored for a DoD SECRET clearance that will be a big help not only in one day working for a PMC somewhere else, but may help you land a better engineering gig as well doing defense work since you're already cleared.

3. Join the French Foreign Legion. If you want to "unplug" for 5 years, learn to speak French and get in the shape of your life, this is it! Almost guaranteed you WILL get deployed and get trigger time in some former French colony experiencing a melt-down or Coupe de' Etat, which seems to happen frequently. You'll also be eligible for French citizenship and thus be able to work and live in the EU when you're finished - which opens up foreign PMC opportunities considerably. Beware, though - if you return to los Estados Unidos having foreign and U.S. citizenship simultaneously is NOT an absolute barrier to getting a DoD or DoS security clearance, but will complicate things measurably and will have to be remedied most likely before you can get a higher level clearance like a TS or above. In some cases it can screw up getting a plain SECRET clearance depending on other factors that might be involved. Possession of an ACTIVE foreign passport will be a clearance killer per existing guidelines - but there are procedures by where this can be mitigated and resolved successfully.

4. Become a Part Time Cop. Same deal as becoming a part time soldier - you'll get training that a PMC might find useful. Many jurisdictions utilized Reserve Sheriffs or Reserve Deputies in varying capacities. There are numerous Law Enforcement training opportunities in Africa that our State Department is sponsoring to help bring about stability - however the qualifications tend to exclude part time cops. But, time spent as a part time cop is better than having ZERO law enforcement experience. Life is what you make of it!

5. Diplomatic Security. The Department of State (DoS) hates having their Diplomats kidnapped, and they have federal security personnel to travel the globe and protect them. Many of these chosen to have military or police backgrounds - and Veterans have preference of course. However, DoS also employs engineers and other technical types to install, debug and repair security equipment and run their facilities. The opportunities here are almost endless, and you'll get the training you need AND a high level security clearance. You might just stay and retire from Federal Service with a big fat pension and then go off into work as a contractor someplace afterwards.

6. Border Patrol. Same as above - you'll be armed, trained and dangerous. Pick up a skill like K9 Handling or get wing time doing Air Interdiction as a pilot and God-only-knows where this can take you on your future career!

7. TSA. Not as sexy as the options above, but again I'm just trying to explore possibilities where you can get useful training and a security clearance and then one day metamorph into whatever you might want to become...

8. Civilian Marksmanship Program. Never shot an M16 or M9? Chances are you're not going to get hired by a PMC if you can't handle a firearm properly. So, this is your chance - with the CMP sponsored by Uncle Sam. Summertime is "Small Arms Firing School" (SAFS) time, and you will get to shoot REAL military issued weapons on a REAL range while being coached by some of the finest military marksmen and markswomen currently in uniform. This is about the best deal in the world for $30 (from what I recall) and a weekend well spent. You'll come away with a t-shirt, a certificate and a desire to learn how to become a better shooter then you were before. Practice enough and you may earn the President's 100 distinction, which is truly a lifetime achievement!

9. Alaska State Troopers. In one single day you might fly an airplane, ride a snowmobile, get in a high speed traffic chase and get in a fight with drunks - or shoot it out with drug dealers. Alaska is America's Last Frontier and needs tough and adventurous law enforcement personnel - need adventure? I couldn't think of a better way to get it. Depending on where you're stationed (you don't get much choice) you can earn around $90k after 5 years or so from what I recall. Not bad pay for LEO types...

Timing is everything, however skill and creativity can go a long way to getting you where you're trying to go - again, it depends on what you're trying to "get" out of working for a PMC. By all means continue working on your MBA, I got mine while I was in the Sandbox - you'll have time on your hands so put it to good use. Set yourself up to become a Program Manager for a contracting company, since you've got the education part already. Get your PMP certification and of course figure out how to get the experience part per suggestions above. Be aware that time DOES NOT work in your favor as many federal opportunities (and thus the opportunity to gain experience) become closed after the age of 37 roughly.

Figure out why you want to work for a PMC and see if there's ways you can get the same benefits by using a different approach. If you're hellbent on working for a PMC, then get creative and figure out how to get the experience and skills you need!

Good Luck!

Ed
Toxic Ed

Postby Jefe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:00 pm

This was beautiful.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:17 am

And this is why I...
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:19 am

DP6 will have all the answers you seek.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Return to Black Flag Cafe