The Modern Mercenary

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The Modern Mercenary

Postby snaark » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:24 am

The London School of Economics has some interesting podcasts on their website. This one is by some ex DynCorp guy, Sean McFate, on the role of mercenaries in modern conflicts. Anyone know him?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/videoAndAudio/channels/publicLecturesAndEvents/player.aspx?id=3246
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Re: The Modern Mercenary

Postby Q » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Off the bat, "Mercenary" means it's a piece of BS.

noun
a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.

DynCorp isn't an army. BW wasn't/isn't an army.

WPPS pretty much spells it out for the initiated. Very, very few former military are hired, as contractors, for DA. Which would make them, by definition, mercenaries.

Proof is in the pudding. Couple of ex BW types serving some major time for engaging in DA, and not "PSD" work.

But "mercenary" scares the straights more, and you know, commands higher speaking fees.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Hitoru » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:17 am

Mercenary=Soldier of Fiction.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby AztecDave » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:38 pm

I miss the good old days. where is Cat Shannon or Hans Josef Wagemueller when you need them.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 pm

AztecDave wrote:I miss the good old days. where is Cat Shannon or Hans Josef Wagemueller when you need them.

They do exist. They just aren't running around selling books and calling themselves mercenaries.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby ROB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 am

1mercenary
noun mer·ce·nary \ˈmər-sə-ˌner-ē, -ne-rē\
: a soldier who is paid by a foreign country to fight in its army : a soldier who will fight for any group or country that hires him
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Obviously modern mercenaries are as fussy about their job titles as secretaries... sorry, I meant "administrative assistants".
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:15 am

ROB wrote:1mercenary
noun mer·ce·nary \ˈmər-sə-ˌner-ē, -ne-rē\
: a soldier who is paid by a foreign country to fight in its army : a soldier who will fight for any group or country that hires him

Fight being the key term there.

And, we can pad resumes as well as anyone else. Ie: Helped protect the President of Fuckistan = trained his local protective detail and never really left the Presidential palace.

Again, there are a few guys serving very long prison terms for fighting in Iraq.
Last edited by Q on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby Q » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:15 am

snaark wrote:Obviously modern mercenaries are as fussy about their job titles as secretaries... sorry, I meant "administrative assistants".

Interesting.

I'm curious as to what you got out of the ROE and International Law portion of WPPS. I, II, or III.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby snaark » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:06 am

Q wrote:
snaark wrote:Obviously modern mercenaries are as fussy about their job titles as secretaries... sorry, I meant "administrative assistants".

Interesting.

I'm curious as to what you got out of the ROE and International Law portion of WPPS. I, II, or III.

Congratulations, you went to college.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:01 pm

snaark wrote:
Q wrote:

Interesting.

Congratulations, you went to college.

Only, WPPS has nothing to do with college.

My mistake in assuming you understood the subject on which you felt informed enough to comment on.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby snaark » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Do go on....
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:55 am

Ladies.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:41 am

snaark wrote:Do go on....

One of the more valuable lessons I've been lucky enough to learn in this great thing called life, is to not engage the clueless, right or left.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby snaark » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Don't get your lacie panties in a twist. Why not actually listen to the podcast instead of getting hung up in the etymology?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe