Mexico City

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Mexico City

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 am

Headed there in Jan to bag a couple of the surrounding volcanos. Any flaggers bin there? Recs on bedbug free lodging, food and booze? Is it a fucked up place?

Thanks.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Re: Mexico City

Postby db36046 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:44 pm

I haven't been there for a while but it's a great place. I love Mexico City.. If you have some basic street sense and keep your nose clean, the danger is manageable.
It's also a huge place; like NYC on steroids. Look for a decent hotel for a good price downtown. The outlying areas are less safe than downtown, in my experience. You can usually find a good place within about five blocks of Bellas Artes.
The people are great, friendly, and always ready to give you directions. The subways are very navegable., but watch for pickpockets. (They usually work in teams.)
To survive in Mexico City people learn to hustle. They are aggressive and pushy, wary and on guard, but most are essentially good people. Try not to look like you have a lot of money (difficult for most Americans), and be nice to people. Treat them with respect and they will reciprocate.
Stay away from anything even remotely tied to the drug trade, and you should be all right if you keep your eyes open.
The Museo de Antropología is fascinating, and could easily take a week to go through quickly.
If you can afford it, find a taxi driver that you like and hire him to be your personal transportation a day at a time. It's less expensive than you think and it saves you the problem of not being able to find your way around during the busiest time of the day. Buy his lunch, and give him a good tip at the end of the day, besides whatever you contracted him for.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:30 am

Thanks. looking forward to it.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby executiveout » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:15 am

Ok, I am jealous... Thailand doesn't come close to Mexico as a "great life venue"
Disfruta!
Like a laugh, need a reminder of life's fickle finger of fate?... visit my Blog today
https://fatmilton.wordpress.com/
executiveout

Postby ROB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:31 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Thanks. looking forward to it.

Hope you can share some photos with us.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:43 am

Mexico City is amazing. Like db said, it's not especially dangerous as long as you use basic travel security steps. Don't get money out of the ATM at night, wear a fancy watch, that sort of things. The airport is a hive of scum and villainy, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you use the official taxis, and if anyone offers you a better deal, ignore them.

Polanco is the ritzy section of town and great for a drink and just to walk around at night, enjoying life. If you can afford to stay in the area, it's probably super nice. I like to stay in Condesa, it's not the cheapest but it's super safe and fun - the upscale hipster neighborhood, lots of restaurants and cool bars and art galleries, plus you're close to Chapultepec Park, where most of the cool museums are. The Anthropology Museum is an absolute must. Roma is supposed to be the up-and-coming hipster neighborhood, I guess? Check it out. Anyway, if you're on a budget, the Metro is great and super easy to use. Also, most restaurants have an executive lunch that has like four or five courses for 50-100 pesos, it's a deal. Then you can just get street food for dinner, which is the thing to do anyway.

Have fun! Mexico City is great!
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:20 am

Thanks guys! Friendly, where in Condensa do you usually stay?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Hey - I had to stay at two pricey hotels for work: Hotel Maria Condesa http://www.mariacondesa.com/index.html and Hotel Villa Condesa http://www.villacondesa.com.mx/villacon ... e_eng.html which were both excellent if not outstanding. If you've got the cash, Hotel Maria Condesa was my preference. I went back on my own and stayed at Hostal Condesa, which was clean and acceptable. I stayed in a private room and thought it was a little bit overpriced, but only a little: http://www.hostalcondesa.com/en/index.html

None of those places was super awesome, though. The area was, but I'm still looking for the perfect hotel in the area. If you find it, let me know!

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:39 am

Since you're looking to bag a couple of volcanoes, this might be worth a read vis-a-vis crime: http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analys ... 6-000-feet

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:44 am

friendlyskies wrote:Since you're looking to bag a couple of volcanoes, this might be worth a read vis-a-vis crime: http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analys ... 6-000-feet

Thanks for the link. Ixta is one of the volcanoes I am looking to bag, and I have heard of a couple of robberies on it, the other two I am looking to climb (Toluca and Orizaba) I have not heard much of any problems. Ixta borders on Morelas State which has crime problems. I am going with a guide, not that it will deter an armed gang, but my experience is that guides are good at self preservation and have better instincts at putting themselves in harms way.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 am

Pretty good. Got up Orizaba and a couple of other peaks. Will post some pics when I am finished mopping up a basement flood from a hot water tank.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe