Where to go from here -- share your wisdom

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Where to go from here -- share your wisdom

Postby Hitoru » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:46 pm

ROB wrote:
Hitoru wrote:Find your nitch and start your own business. Working for other people sucks.

What do you do?

I'm a Certified Arborist.
I do anything with trees. Not as much invasive species control now as I do more residential tree maintenance thees days.
I kill feral pigs just for fun and meat.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby frostyneutron » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:45 pm

nowonmai wrote:Go and join the Kurds fighting ISIS.

I live pretty close to that stuff. I don't speak much Kurdish at all, and my weapons experience is also minimal (comm guy, remember?) I'd help out there if I knew a way, though.
frostyneutron

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:10 pm

frostyneutron wrote:

I live pretty close to that stuff. I don't speak much Kurdish at all, and my weapons experience is also minimal (comm guy, remember?) I'd help out there if I knew a way, though.

Do you know comms?

Everyone needs communication.

James knows this stuff and this area. His new handle is now James P.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61272

I do not know how often he checks this site but I have never heard anyone complain about him never checking Private Messages.

If you cannot send them, let me know. New users are restricted from doing that but I changed your designation on the board since you are obviously human and not a marketing robot.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby frostyneutron » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:34 pm

Kurt wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

Do you know comms?

Everyone needs communication.

James knows this stuff and this area. His new handle is now James P.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61272

I do not know how often he checks this site but I have never heard anyone complain about him never checking Private Messages.

If you cannot send them, let me know. New users are restricted from doing that but I changed your designation on the board since you are obviously human and not a marketing robot.

I know comms better than anyone. And I've done it while shit was blowing up around me. That's precisely what I want to do again.
frostyneutron

Postby ROB » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:57 am

Hitoru wrote:
ROB wrote:
Hitoru wrote:Find your nitch and start your own business. Working for other people sucks.

What do you do?

I'm a Certified Arborist.
I do anything with trees. Not as much invasive species control now as I do more residential tree maintenance thees days.
I kill feral pigs just for fun and meat.

Sweet. Beats the shit out of having a boss.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:35 pm

frostyneutron wrote:

If you want to get put in a box, and trotted out for dog and pony media events in Erbil, and possibly face prison time when/if you ever get back to CONUS, then go for it.

Here's the deal....unless you are a cheap ass, TCN security guard,or former Tier 1, the days of big money ground pounding are gone. And the "big money" doesn't apply to TCN guards.

Get a degree....a real one....and work as an analyst.

You heard it here first.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby nowonmai » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:41 am

Q wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

If you want to get put in a box, and trotted out for dog and pony media events in Erbil, and possibly face prison time when/if you ever get back to CONUS, then go for it.

Here's the deal....unless you are a cheap ass, TCN security guard,or former Tier 1, the days of big money ground pounding are gone. And the "big money" doesn't apply to TCN guards.

You heard it here first.

Sounds to me that his problem is not making money, and let's face it there isn't much money in being an analst where all you are is a slightly brighter chimp in someone else's cage, it's about boredom and purpose. You seem to be recommending a low risk option and judging every person fighting ISIS by the small number of attention whores that plague any venture - none more so than here.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:56 pm

nowonmai wrote:
Q wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

You heard it here first.

Sounds to me that his problem is not making money, and let's face it there isn't much money in being an analst where all you are is a slightly brighter chimp in someone else's cage, it's about boredom and purpose. You seem to be recommending a low risk option and judging every person fighting ISIS by the small number of attention whores that plague any venture - none more so than here.

Actually, it comes from first hand knowledge regarding American "fighters" in Kurdistan.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby frostyneutron » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:41 pm

Q wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

You heard it here first.

I have a Master's in Engineering.
frostyneutron

Postby frostyneutron » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 pm

nowonmai wrote:
Q wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

You heard it here first.

This man has it figured out. It's about purpose. I just read about the fucking chimps in Africa burning some kids. Islamic extremism. Maybe my government is skittish about being involved, but I sure as shit want to have a say, regardless.
frostyneutron

Postby Q » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:06 am

frostyneutron wrote:
Q wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

You heard it here first.

I have a Master's in Engineering.

Awesome. It'll get you far whilst in prison in Iraq or Nigeria.

Enjoy.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby frostyneutron » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 am

Enjoy.

Don't say "whilst" if you want people to take you seriously. They'll immediately understand that you're trying too hard. But, I'm still interested in what you said. Are you an analyst? I've spent some time working with analysts (but, not as an analyst. That's foreign to me.) The analysts I've worked with were pretty cool, and smart guys.
frostyneutron

Postby Q » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:01 am

frostyneutron wrote:

Enjoy.

Don't say "whilst" if you want people to take you seriously. They'll immediately understand that you're trying too hard. But, I'm still interested in what you said. Are you an analyst? I've spent some time working with analysts (but, not as an analyst. That's foreign to me.) The analysts I've worked with were pretty cool, and smart guys.

I gave up doing the shit you want to do because it sucks when compared to the alternative.

If you want to fuck off to Erbil or points North of Abuja, I can give you the info you are seeking, but might not want to hear.

PM me for more dream killing.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby nowonmai » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:31 am

Q wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

Enjoy.

I gave up doing the shit you want to do because it sucks when compared to the alternative.

If you want to fuck off to Erbil or points North of Abuja, I can give you the info you are seeking, but might not want to hear.

So because your dream didn't work, no one else's can? My response would be less dreaming, more planning makes Jack a happy boy.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby frostyneutron » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 am

Q wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:

Enjoy.

Ok, I can PM you. But if you have this kind of information, it might be nice to share it here in the forum. I mean, I think a lot of guys here have similar ambitions.

Personally, I'm not in it for the killing, PSD, or anything like that. I do communications. I'd find it hard to believe that the demand for that has fallen.
frostyneutron

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe