Speaking of dumbasses: Sagebrush Rebellion Part deux

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Speaking of dumbasses: Sagebrush Rebellion Part deux

Postby Hitoru » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:47 am

Kurt wrote:
Hitoru wrote:
Kurt wrote:The thing is I read their backstory and I said "wow, those guys have a good reason to be pissed" but instead of actually doing a type of thing like occupy, state your case to those who may not know it, then leave. They went all cookoo bananas.

What happended was one of the cowboy hatted dudes set a fire on his land to clear brush for grazing. He was arrested for Arson and did 10 months in jail. For Arson on his own land (by its very nature it should have been burning without a permit or something). This was in 2006. Last year a judege reviewed the case, saw he should have gotten a longer sentence and ordered him back to prison for like 4 more years, almost 9 years after he did his time.

If I got that kind of deal 9 years after the fact I would totally lose it. But then it seems they lost site of that original and obvious injustice and moved on to WTF.

It wasn't his land, it was BLM land, or it spread to BLM land.
Ranchers and miners have been ripping off the tax payers who actually own the land for hundreds of years now. They degrade the the land by overgrazing, causing soil compaction and erosion. The cattle bring in invasive species in their guts and the seeds sprout after they shit. Miners pollute the water, the rivers around Reno NV are polluted with lead and mercury . So you can't eat the fish if there are any.

OK I can see that. I still think it sucks to notify a guy 9 years after he did time that he has to do more. To me that starts to fall under double jeopardy.

I do know out west their is a tendency to say My Land is my Land and The Government's Land is my land because of wolves and Golden eagles and stuff.

I also thought it smacked of double jeopardy.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:40 pm

ROB wrote:You seem to have some type of "final showdown" scenario in your head.

It's not like they were occupying critical infrastructure. It's not like they took hostages. They were protesting.

Leave them alone.

I don't want a showdown that ends in someone dying - they do/did. I want them stop the occupation of land that belongs to the public. When you protest you do not show up with guns, take over a public building, announcing you are staying for years, and institute essentially an alternative government, based on the revelations of god and Captain Moroni - which is what these guys did. Calling for the overthrow of the government because of a cherry picked reading of the Constitution. This isn't a peaceful protest, that is sedition. The LEO have shown remarkable restraint. Sadly, someone died. Hopefully more will not. They should have left when the people of the community asked them too. They had choices and they made bad ones.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:43 pm

nowonmai wrote:
svizzerams wrote:This just in: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/two-peo ... dy-report/

Oregon militant leader Ammon Bundy was taken into custody by federal officials on Tuesday night, the Oregonian reported.

Bundy’s capture was first reported by one of his supporters, Pete Santilli, on a YouTube broadcast. KATU-TV confirmed Bundy’s arrest, adding that three other people were taken into custody. Santilli also stated that two people were shot during the encounter that led to Bundy’s arrest.

YES

Fuck yeah! Chicken hawk 'liberal' celebrates death of confused old dude! Stay classy sister! Fuck yeah!

If you say so. I'm celebrating that this nightmare is coming to an end, not celebrating anyone died - keep things in context, brother.

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Propaganda 101:

Never have these guys make a statement. Ever.

If someone stops you from getting here....KILL THEM!

Classic.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Kurt, Hmmm the video I posted, that you responded to vanished. ?? Just wanted to show from this clip that these guys aren't mere protesters who should be left alone. This has been the rhetoric for 27 days.

Here it is - so your comment has some context

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MJLxSTiGM[/youtube]

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:44 pm

A couple of accounts that occurred on the road.
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stando ... while.html

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm

svizzerams wrote:A couple of accounts that occurred on the road.
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stando ... while.html

Dunno, that was weird.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:43 pm

Sedition!

Kill them all!
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:09 pm

nowonmai wrote:Sedition!

Kill them all!

It is apparent that the UK is devoid of this sort of crazy. I'd rather send them to remedial civic classes.

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:10 pm

svizzerams wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Sedition!

Kill them all!

It is apparent that the UK is devoid of this sort of crazy. I'd rather send them to remedial civic classes.

But killing them is the next best thing huh. Fuck yeah.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:58 pm

svizzerams wrote:I want them stop the occupation of land that belongs to the public. When you protest you do not show up with guns, take over a public building, announcing you are staying for years, and institute essentially an alternative government, based on the revelations of god and Captain Moroni - which is what these guys did. Calling for the overthrow of the government because of a cherry picked reading of the Constitution. This isn't a peaceful protest, that is sedition. The LEO have shown remarkable restraint. Sadly, someone died. Hopefully more will not. They should have left when the people of the community asked them too. They had choices and they made bad ones.

Wow, how dramatic. Who did they shoot or commit violence against, cos I must have missed that? All I saw was a bunch of tough guy rhetoric, but rhetoric nonetheless.

Anyway, from the main points you make, they sound a lot like Occupy Wallstreet, The Black Panthers, any number of war protests over the years, Black Lives Matter, etc etc

But let's cut to the chase. These guys were protesting something you disagreed with so they should be ended.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:23 am

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:20 am

Its good you are here to remind us of the horror that was 2013.

The Blitz, Pearl Harbor, Dien Bien Phu, 9/11, 7/7 and The year people noticed a dissertation.

May we never forget.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Hitoru » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:08 am

ROB wrote:
svizzerams wrote:I want them stop the occupation of land that belongs to the public. When you protest you do not show up with guns, take over a public building, announcing you are staying for years, and institute essentially an alternative government, based on the revelations of god and Captain Moroni - which is what these guys did. Calling for the overthrow of the government because of a cherry picked reading of the Constitution. This isn't a peaceful protest, that is sedition. The LEO have shown remarkable restraint. Sadly, someone died. Hopefully more will not. They should have left when the people of the community asked them too. They had choices and they made bad ones.

Wow, how dramatic. Who did they shoot or commit violence against, cos I must have missed that? All I saw was a bunch of tough guy rhetoric, but rhetoric nonetheless.

Anyway, from the main points you make, they sound a lot like Occupy Wallstreet, The Black Panthers, any number of war protests over the years, Black Lives Matter, etc etc

But let's cut to the chase. These guys were protesting something you disagreed with so they should be ended.

No, they are Mormons, religious zealots and they have long conspired to take over the USA.

A top leader of the Mormon Church has stated: “When our leaders speak the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan--it is God’s plan. When they point the way, there is no other way that is safe. When they give direction, it should mark the end of controversy".
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby svizzerams » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:36 am

A couple more pieces of info about this situation. I know - this sagebrush steppe looks like a whole lotta nothing - but it is a beautiful place.

Excellent pod cast that gives you a sense of the mind set of some: http://homebrave.squarespace.com/home-o ... to-do-this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeHPgF_9E0[/youtube]

Home Sweet Home

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe