Aleppo teeters, Saudi threatens, Obama minces

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Aleppo teeters, Saudi threatens, Obama minces

Postby nowonmai » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Sucks to be a rebel if you're relying on Obama and the Saudis to bale you out. Looks like that refugee thing is going to get worse. Good timing for the UK referendum on the EU superstate and great news for ISIS wannabes everywhere.

One day this war is going to end.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Re: Aleppo teeters, Saudi threatens, Obama minces

Postby Douchebag » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:44 pm

Cameron knows that the only thing that will drive the change that overhawls the liberalistan Euroweenies is if the UKistan leaves.

I don't fink Cameron is serious about it, tho. He is only cow towing to the big number of UKIP guys who voted, like 3 million of them in the last election. They didn't get any men up in the parliament, but Cammy knows they are a force to be reckoned with.
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:07 pm

Still trying to get my hands on an SAA COIN manual.

I'm having a grand time calling out all the "experts" who predicted Syrian collapse within 6 months. You want to see a face full of shame even worse than the 0430 tramp walk out of the barracks on a Monday morning? Drop me a line and we'll hit the usual bars where the K Street, "I've never deployed but will make "guaranteed" FP outcome predictions based on some douchefag G-Town, AU, GWU model I studied.

Move over, fuckers. New game in town.

Brilliant.

Assad, FTW. (Literally)

Really.

Cheers to the chinless dentist.

Badass.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:01 am

If losing a fight means extermination, people tend to put up a good fight.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:If losing a fight means extermination, people tend to put up a good fight.

We'll see about that.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Douchebag » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:51 am

Nuke em all from outta space!
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:44 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:If losing a fight means extermination, people tend to put up a good fight.

They actually have to think they are more important than the people wiping them out first...when they do, then they do tend to fight.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:44 pm

[quote="Kurt"][quote="ReptilianKittenEater"]If losing a fight means extermination, people tend to put up a good fight.[/quote]

They actually have to think they are more important than the people wiping them out first...when they do, then they do tend to fight.[/quote]
That is an interesting take. Controversial, as it suggests that low-self esteem is at the root of being overrun.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:05 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:
Kurt wrote:

They actually have to think they are more important than the people wiping them out first...when they do, then they do tend to fight.

That is an interesting take. Controversial, as it suggests that low-self esteem is at the root of being overrun.

Not low self esteem, but I can see how it can be confused for that. If anything it is a misplaced sense of superiority and dominance that would cause people not to defend themselves.

In thinking they were not more important, or equal to their opponents would mean they had already said "our culture wins no matter what" or "once they gaze upon the wonders of our society they will conform, because they are equal to us, only they have not been exposed to our awesomeness yet."

So it is a conditioning, the same conditioning that says something like "on one side of dam your child is drowning, on the other side of the dam 100 children are drowning...a conditioned person saves the hundred and lets their own die but a normal person saves their kid and lets 100 die. If everything is viewed as equal or 1=1 then 100=100 vs 1=1 and the greater number must be chosen or those in more need must be helped at the expense of an individual's survival.

So lets take Iraq as an example. We decided to "save" the Iraqis and show them the blessings of representative democracy. We spent lives and money to do this. They and other in the Levant said "Yay!! Now we can revert to old tribal and religious control of our lives since the strongman is gone" and then the same people said "This sucks, I am outa here." and then we, and I mean the West, is still so enamoured of itself that it says "aha! the glory of our civilization could not be found through military aggression, though they meant well. Lets show them the real glory of our life and let them in instead" Others will say "We violated their borders so its only fair they violate ours, they will soon see how awesome we are to make up for when we were not" and then the people coming say "Fuck these dudes, they let their women out alone and work for someone who is not related to them and are not afraid of God"

A lack of self esteem would make sense at least, because then maybe we could be replaced by someone who is better.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Lol

US-backed militia groups now fighting each other in Syria
President Barack Obama's confused strategy in Syria means towns are now being fought over by different US-backed groups

Richard Spencer By Richard Spencer, Middle East Editor4:31PM GMT 20 Feb 2016
If anywhere can show the consequences of American foreign policy under President Barack Obama, it may be the small town of Marea, north of Aleppo.
In the course of the last five years, it has seen Assad regime tanks roll through from the south, firing shells through its houses.
It has been repeatedly attacked from the east by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil). On occasion it has been bombed from the air by the regime and shelled from the ground by Isil on the same day.
Now its rebel defenders are fighting Isil, the regime, Russian bombers, and a new enemy, the Syrian Kurdish militia the YPG, all at once.
America is calling for a ceasefire. But it is not clear whether even if one were declared, it would stop any of those enemies from attacking Marea.
A member of the Free Syria Army
A member of the Free Syria Army shows off his weapons in the beseiged town Photo: Rex Features
A "cessation of hostilities" was supposed to come into force on Friday, but the fighting in Marea and everywhere else in Syria continued. The rebel opposition said on Saturday that it agreed to one “in principle” but was still waiting to see if Russia and the regime would stop bombing.
"The deadline set in Munich for a cessation of hostilities has passed without response from Russia or the regime,” its spokesman, Salem al-Meslet, said.
“To date, every time the international community has placed its faith in regime and Russian promises of good faith, the streets of Aleppo, Homs and so many other towns and villages across our country have run red with the blood.”
It is not new to say that the war in Syria has become a complex mess, spiralling out of control.
Analysts – and many American diplomats who have left the administration, some in disgust – say that the mess is a consequence of President Obama’s decision to support the rebellion against President Bashar al-Assad, but only half-heartedly.
He sent in weapons to support the rebels – including in Marea. But he also refused to confront Russia and the regime, who had far more weapons, leaving the rebels lightly armed sitting ducks.
President Obama
President Obama's policy in Syria is said by his critics to have been 'half-hearted' Photo: REUTERS/Mike Theiler
Then he also decided to support the Kurds. He wanted them to fight Isil, which they did, but they also took on anyone else who stood in the way of a Kurdish mini-state in northern Syria, and that now means rebel areas like Marea, north of Aleppo, which is between that mini-state’s western and eastern halves.
As a result, the town is being fought over by two western proxies. It is not surprising that Mr Obama wants a ceasefire.
The YPG is a Kurdish army that is the Syrian affiliate of the long-established guerrillas from nearby Turkey, the PKK, a leftist, US- and UK-designated terrorist group.
• Who are the Kurds? A user's guide to Kurdish politics
Despite that designation, the YPG’s strength comes in part from its backing from the United States, which gave it air support in its bitter and eventually successful defence against Isil of the border town of Kobane.
But as the YPG attacks rebel-held areas north of Aleppo it is also fighting the very rebel groups who two years ago drove Isil out of western Syria, and who still face off against it just two miles east of Marea.
Last week, there was an Isil attack. “Two days ago, Isil tried to cut the road,” Tarek al-Najjar, a local paramedic, told The Telegraph.
The attack failed, even though most of Marea’s defenders were on the front line against the YPG just five miles to the west.
If Marea falls – to either the YPG or Isil – it would be a disaster for its embattled inhabitants, but also for the US. For they were at the heart of attempts by the western and Gulf opponents of the Assad regime to build a united opposition.

The man who led the uprising in Marea, a seed merchant called Abdulqader Saleh, was a Salafi Sunni Muslim. The rebel group he put together, Liwa al-Tawhid, eventually became the strongest in Aleppo province.
By stressing its local as well as its religious credentials, it drew recruits from across the board. Its slogans were Islamist but its foot-soldiers were local young men who largely decried the term militant.
For years, Liwa al-Tawhid received strong backing from western allies Turkey and Qatar, and when it came under attack from the regime, received Konkurs anti-tank missiles and other high-end weapons.
But the fact that in Aleppo it was fighting alongside harder-line Islamist groups and even Jabhat al-Nusra, the Syrian al-Qaeda affiliate, made Mr Obama nervous. As soon as regime advances dried up, so, often, did the supply of heavy weapons.
So Liwa al-Tawhid and the other Aleppo rebels were able to cling on to the territory they held – east Aleppo city and the countryside to the Turkish border – but not win a decisive victory.
That stalemate lasted until the Russians made their decisive intervention in September. On the back of Russian bombing both the regime and now the Kurds have surged forward.
This time, the US response has been to seek peace terms. Its secretary of state, John Kerry, has spent all month trying to persuade the Russians to bring about by negotiation what the rebels have failed to do militarily – drop Mr Assad. He seems to have failed.
On the ground, the fighting has continued. “We are still there, and spirits are good,” said Yasser al-Haji, a relative of Abdulqader Saleh and former captain of the town’s football team. He became a local mini-celebrity organising trips to the area for journalists.
But the civilian and military casualties are intense. “There are 50 injured and 15 dead from every battle,” Mr Najjar, the paramedic, said on Friday night.
“Today, Sheikh Issa to the west was hit by 11 air strikes by the Russians. We evacuated a family, three children were killed and their father, while the mother was injured.”
He said it seemed Syria was being partitioned into Kurdish, Sunni and Alawite areas – the Alawites being the sect to which the Assad family belongs.
If that really is a plan, Turkey is holding out against it, refusing to agree to a Kurdish mini-state. It is now Marea’s only external defender, shelling the YPG from over the nearby border.
It claimed further justification last week after the suicide bombing of a military convoy in Ankara, which was claimed by a PKK splinter faction.
Charles Lister, an analyst who has been involved in European-sponsored negotiations with a wide array of rebel forces, said the fall of Marea and the border town of Azaz to the north would be a "catastrophic morale blow" to them – and also an indication of American policy.
“It is quite extraordinary that Obama administration policy seems to be favouring a Kurdish militia group that is incontrovertibly linked to the terrorism-designated PKK over and above a fellow Nato ally, Turkey," he said.

In Marea, the hospital has now been evacuated, and contingency plans are being made for a withdrawal to the north.
That would open the way to a new war, this time between the YPG and Isil – one in which the local people, who want neither to rule over them, would have no stake. They say the Americans have abandoned them.
“Some of the Syrian people put their hopes in the Americans, but the Americans have let them down hugely,” said Zakaria Mubarak, a doctor.
“The Americans are like a policeman that passes by the scene of a crime and closes his eyes. That makes them a participant in the crime.”
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Weren't you the one on about Assad being some chinless dentist back when this all started?
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby nowonmai » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Q wrote:Weren't you the one on about Assad being some chinless dentist back when this all started?

Nope. I said he was a murdering bastard. He still is. I'm laughing at Obama's ineptitude.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:51 am

We've always sucked in the middle east. The only thing we have ever been good at is supporting a Strongman and now we deny our ability to do that because it is immoral, but then we go on and fuck up royally as if that is supposed to be better.

The true evil of the US is not that it goes out and says "hey, there's a bad guy, lets prop him up" As bad as that is, it would make some sense. People could work within that framework, be they us, other nations or local opposition. What we cannot do at all is "bring democracy and good governance to the region" when we do that we make things worse, and create a situation that only a strongman can correct.

I really think we need to adopt an official foreign policy of "I'm sorry, We'd like to, but we are busy with other things now" with the hard right taking the stance of "We'd really like to but we got to get our shit together" with the hard left saying "We are not interested, but if we were, we have to build roads or some shit first. You know how it goes" And with the radical opposition demanding we be less polite in saying "No".

But in our world failure succeeds, smart people are demonized and useless fuckers are turned into a swiss army knife of bad choices (I saw John Bolton commenting on stuff and getting paid to do so last week). So its not gonna happen.

And The Brits gotta stop saying "You gotta do something....LOL you are doing the wrong thing." as if the results of what you want are a surprise.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Q » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Kurt wrote:We've always sucked in the middle east. The only thing we have ever been good at is supporting a Strongman and now we deny our ability to do that because it is immoral, but then we go on and fuck up royally as if that is supposed to be better.

The true evil of the US is not that it goes out and says "hey, there's a bad guy, lets prop him up" As bad as that is, it would make some sense. People could work within that framework, be they us, other nations or local opposition. What we cannot do at all is "bring democracy and good governance to the region" when we do that we make things worse, and create a situation that only a strongman can correct.

I really think we need to adopt an official foreign policy of "I'm sorry, We'd like to, but we are busy with other things now" with the hard right taking the stance of "We'd really like to but we got to get our shit together" with the hard left saying "We are not interested, but if we were, we have to build roads or some shit first. You know how it goes" And with the radical opposition demanding we be less polite in saying "No".

But in our world failure succeeds, smart people are demonized and useless fuckers are turned into a swiss army knife of bad choices (I saw John Bolton commenting on stuff and getting paid to do so last week). So its not gonna happen.

And The Brits gotta stop saying "You gotta do something....LOL you are doing the wrong thing." as if the results of what you want are a surprise.

The US has sucked at FP in the Middle East because they are stuck shoring up Israel. That's the fast, and accurate, answer.

If you want to dig into the real meat of it, it boils down to having to deal with the mess the Brits caused there. Which, shockingly I know, still comes back to Israel.

But, so long as the cuckolds in the US and UK are willing to keep sending their kids off to the slaughter, for that shitty little strip of land, you're just moving deck chairs on the Titanic by pointing out the obvious.

Assad is a hero. He's spanked the shit out of the little girls who run the US/UK/Israel and KSA.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby frostyneutron » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Q wrote:
Kurt wrote:We've always sucked in the middle east. The only thing we have ever been good at is supporting a Strongman and now we deny our ability to do that because it is immoral, but then we go on and fuck up royally as if that is supposed to be better.

The US has sucked at FP in the Middle East because they are stuck shoring up Israel. That's the fast, and accurate, answer.

If you want to dig into the real meat of it, it boils down to having to deal with the mess the Brits caused there. Which, shockingly I know, still comes back to Israel.

But, so long as the cuckolds in the US and UK are willing to keep sending their kids off to the slaughter, for that shitty little strip of land, you're just moving deck chairs on the Titanic by pointing out the obvious.

Assad is a hero. He's spanked the shit out of the little girls who run the US/UK/Israel and KSA.

You press enter at weird times.
frostyneutron

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe