I love North Korea

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

I love North Korea

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Launching rockets while smoking cigs. Men carrying little black notebooks following a fat guy hoping those notes they take now will stop them from being executed later...Weeping newscasters... guitar choirs...Modern "Western" governments too chickenshit to do anything against a country with an actual army that can actually fight.

We worry about suitcase nukes but give rice and cash to a country that actually has nukes and ICBM capability (anything that can launch into orbit can fly across the pacific...or at least to Japan.

This control center is awesome.

http://s2.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/ ... XNPEC160BE

I cannot get the direct image to link but anyone know what the little green object is in front of the old Dell computer? It looks like it might be an air freshener.

But anyway, I could build a control center better than this, but it would not have the same cool "we did this at the last minute while smoking" flair that the Norks have.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: I love North Korea

Postby coldharvest » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:20 pm

I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby snaark » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:22 pm

So people are starving again in the DPRK (seriously, why do dictatorships always call themselves the "democratic republic of...") so instead of spending public money on food they spend it on half-arsed nukes and rockets so they can leverage even more aid from China. I guess it's easier to keep playing this game than actually going balls-in and putting a proper end to it, but its a shame that "the west" spent all its political capital invading Iraq & Afghanistan for no good reason when here is a country that really does deserve to be spanked.
Last edited by snaark on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Kurt wrote:I cannot get the direct image to link but anyone know what the little green object is in front of the old Dell computer? It looks like it might be an air freshener.

I believe that's a People's Freshener of American Bad Odour.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby frostyneutron » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Yeah, we'd do a lot of hungry people a favor by just shoving some fire down the fat guy's throat.

Imagine how much stress every single engineer on that project felt. If that thing blew up or went off into the wrong direction, they'd go off to the gulag or end up dead. Possibly along with their families. I wonder where their engineers train.

The thing in front of the computer is positioned near the front intake fan, and looks like it might have an electrical cord coming out from it. I guess it's an air filter from aliexpress.

Just look at the size of that evil fucker. He has to be at most second cousin to a Hutt.
frostyneutron

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:48 pm

snaark wrote:So people are starving again in the DPRK (seriously, why do dictatorships always call themselves the "democratic republic of...") so instead of spending public money on food they spend it on half-arsed nukes and rockets so they can leverage even more aid from China. I guess it's easier to keep playing this game than actually going balls-in and putting a proper end to it, but its a shame that "the west" spent all its political capital invading Iraq & Afghanistan for no good reason when here is a country that really does deserve to be spanked.

Its a strategy that has worked for them. They spend on rockets and weapons and make nukes and kidnap weird christians who sneak in from China all for rice.

Whenever a famine looms you can guess the Norks will spend more on the military and be more likely to shell the South, threaten the Japanese and claim a missile of theirs can hit Hawaii, Alaska and Los Angeles.

The problem is we look upon them as if the State of North Korea is supposed to function at least with the intent of a decent place. But if the local News announced that money spent on missiles was instead going to be used to buy rice from Thailand and Wheat from Russia you would probably hear anger from the crowds if asked what they think about it.

People are proud to be part of a shitty country that makes missiles and can go into Space but ashamed to live in a country where people starve and they have to purchase rice to feed them.

This way you get the rice and the pride. And if the rice comes late you have people quietly starve to death to the point that there is enough rice for everyone again.

The point is to keep the Kim regime going. The point is to have courtiers gain favor of the King by keeping the regime going. Everything else is secondary or tertiary.

Once the West realizes this and accepts it as North Korea's primary motivator we will be able to deal with and cause the collapse of the Norks very easily.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Kurt wrote:I cannot get the direct image to link but anyone know what the little green object is in front of the old Dell computer? It looks like it might be an air freshener.

Its The Tartus.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe