Scalia croaks - time for change

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Scalia croaks - time for change

Postby AztecDave » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:39 am

a perfect time to institute term limits for Supreme Court justices. Why should they get a primo job for life? Who else gets that? Plus, the system of checks and balances is outta whack. I say 20 years then your gone. That's a chance to fuck up for 5 presidential terms. Will also keep a stream of fresh blood going within modern experience & knowledge vice old farts.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: Scalia croaks - time for change

Postby ROB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:33 am

Hey, the whole idea that you guys have openly liberal or conservative judges freaks me out.

I want my judges pragmatic and nothing else.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby frostyneutron » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:00 pm

ROB wrote:Hey, the whole idea that you guys have openly liberal or conservative judges freaks me out.

Nobody comes to power in America without selling their soul to a party.
frostyneutron

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:24 pm

ROB wrote:Hey, the whole idea that you guys have openly liberal or conservative judges freaks me out.

Sometimes it does not work that way with judges, a "Liberal judge" can turn around and a conservative judge like Sandra Day O'Connor, can suddenly become liberal.

Personally I do not trust self styled pragmatic people. I assume everyone has biases and I want to know them so that I may know the person better. Someone who is without bias is always:

1. A dimwit.

2. A liar.

3. Someone whose only bias is themselves and their career.

One thing I hate about American newspapers is how they pretend they are unbiases and really just providing the information as it comes to them. This makes for a boring read and this makes them deceptive by nature because they always have that anointed crown of "un-biased" on them.

This is why I enjoy Brit newspapers more. The columnists there are comfortable with their hatred and love and a buffoon is right up there for all to see.

So for the supreme court I want a British Columnist to be appointed. I think a leftist who hates leftists like Rod Liddle would be superb.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Q » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:19 pm

FDR wanted to pack the SC with 15 judges. Didn't happen.

The dirty little secret that most USAmericans don't know is that there is no "set" number for SC Justices.

The repukes can ride this til the apocalypse, and nothing can be done about it, because Congress still holds most of the cards.

And a 4-4 split decision just means the lower court decision stands.

Wow...fucking Law...how does that work?
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby coldharvest » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Q wrote:Wow...fucking Law...how does that work?

it's a fucking shameful disenfranchisement of the powerful in favor of the weak
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Q » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:15 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Q wrote:Wow...fucking Law...how does that work?

it's a fucking shameful disenfranchisement of the powerful in favor of the weak

Hey...you won't get a disagreement with me there.

But the rip is....if the masses are so powerful, why do they still keep voting and worshipping the supposed "weak" class?

Coal miner in West Virginia who votes for Obama, after Obama says he'll destroy coal? Weak.

Iowa farmer who votes for Bush so his boy will be sent off to die for Israel? Weak.

Nut up, or move the fuck on.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby gnaruki » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Looks like the replacement will probably be this guy: Sri Srinivasan

gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:56 pm

[quote="gnaruki"]Looks like the replacement will probably be this guy: Sri Srinivasan

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Sri_Srinavasan.jpg/220px-Sri_Srinavasan.jpg[/img][/quote]

No, Mr. Sri Sri is a straw man. Hope he enjoys being torn limb by limb until the next SCOTUS maybe is presented by media. Crazy how the Repubs are demanding that the appointment wait until there is a Republican in the office of POTUS. They're really in a tizzy. Yesterday's Drudge Report headline was in 2nd Coming font stating "Scalia found with pillow on his head", suggesting of course that His Honor was murdered because there was a pillow on the bed that he died in.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby The Turd Polisher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 pm

gnaruki wrote:Looks like the replacement will probably be this guy: Sri Srinivasan

would not be surprised to see Barry add a Hindu to the current mix of 5 Catholics and 3 Jews

he may get another shot as Scalia's good friend RBG is not too far behind him

"Beyond our ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."
Rumi, 13th-century Persian poet
The Turd Polisher
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:07 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:
gnaruki wrote:Looks like the replacement will probably be this guy: Sri Srinivasan

No, Mr. Sri Sri is a straw man. Hope he enjoys being torn limb by limb until the next SCOTUS maybe is presented by media. Crazy how the Repubs are demanding that the appointment wait until there is a Republican in the office of POTUS. They're really in a tizzy. Yesterday's Drudge Report headline was in 2nd Coming font stating "Scalia found with pillow on his head", suggesting of course that His Honor was murdered because there was a pillow on the bed that he died in.

Yes...pillow OVER his head is the same as on the bed.

And you know, a non medically trained Federal Agent talking to a coroner over the phone is pretty scientific. No need for an autopsy. Nope.

Let me break that down, because I'm sure you're going to brush off fact as me thinking he was murdered.

No, I don't think he was.

I'm sure if we all got lucky and a democrat was found this way, and the incident was treated the same, you'd have a different point of view on it.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby The Turd Polisher » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:30 am

The Turd Polisher wrote:

would not be surprised to see Barry add a Hindu to the current mix of 5 Catholics and 3 Jews

he may get another shot as Scalia's good friend RBG is not too far behind him

resized pic
"Beyond our ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."
Rumi, 13th-century Persian poet
The Turd Polisher
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:30 am

A proper Supreme Court should resemble a "___________ walks into a bar" joke.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby MJK » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:54 am

Lessee…found with hands folded atop the sheets, pillow over face; classic nocturnal cardiac event pose.

Diagnosed as a heart attack…over the phone.

Initially reported as found by maid…now reported as found by homeowner and mysterious unidentified lawyer.

Decoy hearse used to fool press; body reported moved in van.

He had just presided over a decision that kicked Big Energy in the balls and was likely to be unsympathetic to TPP when it is challenged.

His security detail left behind.

World record set in setting aside grief and moving forward with talk of a replacement.

NO Autopsy. Reportedly at request of family.

You're right Q- nothing to see here.

The coroner's 'findings' aren't the only things being phoned in these days. It's like the folks in charge of smoke and mirrors are distracted by their day jobs or something. I'm surprised Obomina didn't announce his choice for a replacement live from the judges bedroom.(Checks liver temp thermometer in corpse-turns to camera-"America will never forget ol' what's his buttons…now about a replacement…")
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Douchebag » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:37 am

He can't be a real Indian cos he doesn't have the bushy moustache.
He won't agree or deny to anything and instead bob his head left and right and speak like he singing. He probably still can't drive right and use curry smell aftershave.
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe