Soldier of Fortune Shutters Print Magazine After 40 Years

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Soldier of Fortune Shutters Print Magazine After 40 Year

Postby nowonmai » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Now what the hell am I supposed to read on the bog.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby frostyneutron » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 pm

nowonmai wrote:Now what the hell am I supposed to read on the bog.

Yeah got ya. Posted it because I'm pretty sure SoF is how half the people on this 'board' manage to stay literate.
frostyneutron

Postby coldharvest » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 pm

frostyneutron wrote:I'm pretty sure SoF is how half the people on this 'board' manage to stay literate.

don't presume familiarity you unwanted cunt
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby MJK » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Soldier of Fortune-fan mag for School of the Americas alumni. Now whose want ads must I peruse to find someone to kill my ex wife?
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Farmdog » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:43 am

coldharvest wrote:
frostyneutron wrote:I'm pretty sure SoF is how half the people on this 'board' manage to stay literate.

Skipping the flame thrower, straight to napalm. Dandridge Malone would be so proud.
Farmdog
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:32 am

Farmdog wrote: Dandridge Malone would be so proud.

That's the best thing I've heard this year.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby frostyneutron » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:04 am

coldharvest wrote:

I can leave if you want but your 'board' would go back to dying. As for familiarity, you're pushing the limits of stereotypical. It's not difficult to generalize.
frostyneutron

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:28 am

frostyneutron wrote:I can leave if you want but your 'board' would go back to dying.

bye
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby nowonmai » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 pm

. . . the column moving forward along the ridge . . near the rear, a short timer, afraid to be up where contacts are made, afraid to be back where folks get left, and lost . . . near the center, the CO and his shadow and bunkermate, the radio operator, both mindful of the stories of snipers in trees, and COs shot square between the eyes, falling, staring, without a word . . . and up front and out alone, all by himself, the pointman, moving down the ridge with raw courage, and the sure knowledge that sooner or later some pointman would be in the sights of an NVA weapon . . . and the young, lanky, flat-nosed, white-eyed black whose skill and courage as point was legendary ("Man, 'day calls 'dat cat 'de 'Cat'!"), and who time and again volunteered to walk in other men's boots . . .

. . . and on the radios, the fear and the fire and the fury ("Ranger! Ranger! My eyes . . . I'm hit . . . I can't see! . . . please . . . somebody help . . . I can't see") . . . ("This is 6 . . . the little sonofabitches are up on the artillery bunkers . . . beehive the bastards!") . . . ("Grenadier, we got an awful fight going . . . I need all available air strikes . . . right now . . . get me nape and CBU") . . . ("81, 6, get that damn company moving and get up here . . . we got 'em in our bunkers!") . . . ("Jesus Christ! They're coming up behind us! . . . they're goin' to cut us off!") . . . ("John, the CO's hit bad . . . send a medic and ammo . . . over by my bunker") . . . ("Where in the hell is that rocket fire coming from?") . . . ("Ranger . . . we got to pull back from our bunkers . . . I've still got some wounded there, but the little bastards are all over us . . . I can't hold on here.") . . . ("81, 6, goddamnit, where are you?") . . . ("Ranger . . . whop! whop! whop! . . . this is Big Daddy . . . whop! whop! whop! . . . what is your present situation?") . . . ("3, I know we've got wounded in there--now put the goddamn Redleg right on the goddamn bunkerline! VT . . . Now, goddamnit!") . . . ("This is Tonto . . . I can't see your firebase . . . it's all fire and smoke and dust . . . Jesus!") . . . ("82, 6! 82, 6!") . . . ("Hummingbird, can you run that air right across the end of the gun-target line? . . . that's where the little bastards are.") . . . ("This is Grenadier . . . we've got two companies airborne and proceeding to your location . . . were can we put them in?") . . . ("26 Alpha, we got to have ammo! ASAP!") . . . ("Pete, see if you can move those wounded up behind the CP") . . . ("Jesus Christ! They got a flame thrower!") . . . ("81, 6, I moved the Redleg . . . now work your way down the bunker line . . . lot of 'em in there . . . be careful!") . . . ("6! 6! They're right in the next bunker! . . . they killed Jackson!") . . . ("3, Alpha's hit in the belly, but he's still sitting there running air strikes . . . ") . . . ("Ghostrider, goddamn you got guts . . . if you can't see the pad, can you see our flag? . . . drop the ammo right on it!") . . . ("Well, kill the little bastard if he's in there!") . . . ("Ranger, they're pullin' back!") . . .

. . . and on and on through the grim hours, with the noise, and the snaps, and the whirs, and the whacks, and the yelling, and the thunder, and the fire, and the smoke, and the dust, and the troopers darting and crawling, and throwing; the shooting, and cussing, and dying, and bleeding . . . and the big Phantom birds screaming down behind the hill to lay their nape . . . and the artillery pounding steady . . . and the fingers of a dead trooper slowly growing stiff as his hoping, hoping buddy holds his hand . . .

It's about time we had another jungle war. Much better than all this dusty shit.
http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2014/244/120662001_1409689170.jpg
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:42 am

I think I can remember when SOF actually had decent articles & wasn't wacko central for wannabes & right wing Christian zealots.

RYP, you ever meet/interview RKB? I bet that would be a COL Kurtz acid trip.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:48 am

Met Brown many times. He is deaf as a post and grumpier than a rattler soaked in gasoline. My very first article was published in Soldier of Fortune.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:03 pm

RYP wrote:Met Brown many times. He is deaf as a post and grumpier than a rattler soaked in gasoline. My very first article was published in Soldier of Fortune.

can you repost that article or a link to it? couldn't find it on the web.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:10 pm

AztecDave wrote:
RYP wrote:Met Brown many times. He is deaf as a post and grumpier than a rattler soaked in gasoline. My very first article was published in Soldier of Fortune.

can you repost that article or a link to it? couldn't find it on the web.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Walter-Mitty-Creative-Stories/dp/1583415866
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe