In a DP: Iditarod mushers attacked by snowmobiler

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: In a DP: Iditarod mushers attacked by snowmobiler

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Kurt wrote: I grew up in Wisconsin and a Snow Machine was something very different, it made snow for ski slopes.

Right? My first thought was, "They need snow machines to have the Iditarod now? This global warming thing is getting kind of scary." Then I remembered that Alaskan English is special and different, and carried on with my day.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:09 pm

MJK wrote:Yeah, the DP star count on this is pretty weak. But it was all I had and I wanted to feel included.

Every freaking time I see a story I want to post. For instance, a hapless pack of narcotraffickers in Nicaragua are calling themselves "Contras" in an effort to get some of that juicy state-sponsored funding and maybe limited legal protection as freedom fighters, which perhaps one of our fine GOP POTUS candidates would kick down in honor of Saint Reagan but probably not because even they aren't that stupid. And yet, today the NYT fell for the whole ridiculous camo cosplay hook, line, and sinker. But could I post it here? I.... I guess. But I'm afraid the comments would start down the usual rabbit hole and I just can't even deal with that anymore. So I didn't. And so the NYT goes unridiculed in this forum, which strikes me as a tragedy, though a small tragedy compared to, say, the utter lack of Western media coverage of those Kurdish suicide bombers who killed 30 or 40 people last night in Ankara.

And so it goes.

I'm just going to tack this here, in case anyone is curious. The deck even says something about an "80s revival," as if armed narcotraffickers are akin to leg warmers and shoulder pads. Fuck. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/world ... p=cur&_r=0
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:15 am

Stay curious Friendlyskies. I love finding out about the Contras etc from you.

“Nobody goes to war because they like it,” said Tyson, the rebel. “

Shows how much he knows. Everybody goes to war because they like it, they just pretend they don't. I'm up for it, anyone else?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:27 am

nowonmai wrote:Stay curious Friendlyskies. I love finding out about the Contras etc from you.

“Nobody goes to war because they like it,” said Tyson, the rebel. “

Shows how much he knows. Everybody goes to war because they like it, they just pretend they don't. I'm up for it, anyone else?

Can it wait till after rickshaw season?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:27 am

[quote="friendlyskies] the utter lack of Western media coverage of those Kurdish suicide bombers who killed 30 or 40 people last night in Ankara.

And so it goes.0[/quote]

Wrong. The NYT didn't say that Kurds were the perps in yesterday's Ankara attack. The NYT said that the Turkish gov't said that it was Kurds, namely PKK, who carried out the attacks.

Utter lack of media coverage? Wrong. This event is being covered by many outlets.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:20 am

Self pity is such an ugly emotion

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:24 am

I wasn't even being sarcastic above. In the spirit of a spring clean and cease fires in Syria, I am offering a truce to friendlyskies, who has given me years of pleasure (sounds kinky but you know what I mean). In fact more than a truce, from here on in I will turn the other cheek or if I can't I'll just piss off.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:33 am

Don't be changing your spots; it's kind of creeping me out. It's like Joe Stalin buying all the Ukrainians return bus tickets. It's like the North Koreans are hollering "We've got a pig on a spit and some beer, come on over!"

So are you set on this transmogrification or could we all vote on it? Who's going to step in and throw up your special brand of flak when we are over the wrong targets?

I 'm hoping to wake up a little later and find that this was all just a bad dream….
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:12 am

nowonmai wrote:I've really tried but have discovered that I cannot give a shit about this story. Drunk twat kills dog. Really?

....i live here and i feel the same way.
mea culpa...
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Douchebag » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 am

nowonmai wrote:I wasn't even being sarcastic above. In the spirit of a spring clean and cease fires in Syria, I am offering a truce to friendlyskies, who has given me years of pleasure (sounds kinky but you know what I mean). In fact more than a truce, from here on in I will turn the other cheek or if I can't I'll just piss off.

Nowhammy. Say it ain't so!
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe