Back in Iraq

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Back in Iraq

Postby nowonmai » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:59 am

Awful quiet from the peanut gallery about how their favourite hopey changey President is now sticking troops back in Iraq. So that 'I only do smart wars' thing isn't looking too clever right now. Iran 1 - America 0

This time they'll do it all without contractors. Yeeaaahhhh rrrright. Blanco your webbing Flippers, you're on stag again.

Death of U.S. Marine in Iraq highlights use of troops from Navy ships in ISIS war
Resize Text Print Article Comments 4 Book mark article Read later list
Saved to Reading List

By Dan Lamothe March 20 at 3:00 PM

U.S. Marines with the Force Reconnaissance Platoon, Maritime Raid Force, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit fire M4 carbines during a training exercise on Jan. 22, 2016. (Cpl. Joshua W. Brown/ Marine Corps)
The death of a U.S. Marine in northern Iraq on Saturday has drawn attention to the deployment of Marines and sailors from Navy ships in the Middle East in the military campaign against the Islamic State militant group.

Staff Sgt. Louis F. Cardin, 27, died about 2:04 a.m. after he and several other members of his unit were hit with enemy rocket fire at a base in Makhmour, a town southeast of the city of Mosul that is near the front line. He was assigned to the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Pentagon officials said Sunday while announcing his identity. It is the second combat death in Iraq in the campaign.

[A U.S. Marine is killed in Iraq, the second combat casualty of the ISIS war]

A defense official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said a company of Marines from the expeditionary unit arrived in Iraq about a week ago. Army Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III, the outgoing chief of U.S. Central Command, said in a statement released Sunday night that they were providing force protection for coalition military advisers in the region, where Iraqi security forces are preparing for an operation in coming months to wrest Mosul from Islamic State militants.

“Staff Sergeant Cardin’s service and his many important contributions will long be remembered by his fellow Marines, his teammates at United States Central Command, and a grateful nation,” Austin said. “Our gratitude and heartfelt condolences go out to this young man’s family and friends.”

The defense official did not offer specifics on the size of the unit deployed, but a company typically numbers a couple of hundred troops. The expeditionary unit itself includes about 2,200 troops, and it is integrated to operate on its own with ground troops, aviation units and logistics support.

The official said Marines from the unit have moved on and off the ships into Iraq for months. They are traveling with the Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group, a three-ship Navy unit that includes the USS Kearsarge, the USS Arlington and the USS Oak Hill. It arrived in the Middle East in October. The U.S. troop presence in Iraq is capped at 3,780.

Marine officials said Sunday in a news release that Cardin joined the service in 2006 as a field artilleryman and was assigned to Camp Lejeune’s 2nd Battalion, 10th Marines, before his deployment. He deployed to Afghanistan three times and enlisted out of Temecula, Calif.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Re: Back in Iraq

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:19 pm

He should not have pulled troops from Iraq from the get-go.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 am

seektravelinfo wrote:He should not have pulled troops from Iraq from the get-go.

Why not. It's a laugh innit?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 am

seektravelinfo wrote:He should not have pulled troops from Iraq from the get-go.

Why not. It's a laugh innit?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:05 am

Hey...those Kurdish girls could use some backup. You're such a badass, why aren't you over there putting rounds down range?
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 am

[quote="Q"][quote="seektravelinfo"]He should not have pulled troops from Iraq from the get-go.[/quote]

Hey...those Kurdish girls could use some backup. You're such a badass, why aren't you over there putting rounds down range?[/quote]

Me a badass. Hardly. I'm just a slightly demure & possibly even dotty Okie/Ozark woman languishing in the Rust Belt. But hey moneybags, buy me a r/t ticket to Irbil & Lions of Rojava will take care of the rest.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:53 pm

Fuck those Mesopotamian agrarians, it was those grain benders who started all this civilization nonsense in the first place.
They should get a right shoeing for that alone.

The Kurds are right the fuck on.
Saladin was a Kurd.
I truly hope they can carve out a decent homeland.

The question is
how long do we have to put up with all these Turkish shenanigans?
what the fuck is wrong with that Gollum looking motherfucker President Erdoğan of theirs?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Douchebag » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Q wrote:

Hey...those Kurdish girls could use some backup. You're such a badass, why aren't you over there putting rounds down range?

Yeah, that's what the mess needs. Another woman. But hey, vote for Over-the-Hillary and you'll get the apocalypse you asked for.
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Postby strapped » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:52 pm

coldharvest wrote:Fuck those Mesopotamian agrarians, it was those grain benders who started all this civilization nonsense in the first place.
They should get a right shoeing for that alone.

Hey man take it easy on us civils... I love civilization other than the wars, I'm a tinker not a bison hunter. Had the coke bottle glasses before the surgery.
I seem to recall that you're described as quite a big hairy fellow so you've got a lot of natural advantages over the rest of us naked apes. So I guess if it all goes into crapper at least the species might have some breeding stock left over after what ever happens.
That all being said I've read that the Salish and the Haida had a real good thing going until ol' whitey showed up and ruined it all with civilization.
strapped
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:43 pm

strapped wrote:That all being said I've read that the Salish and the Haida had a real good thing going until ol' whitey showed up and ruined it all with civilization.

never trust whitey
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:27 pm

We never left.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby ROB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:17 am

RYP wrote:We never left.

Thanks Obama.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:37 am

USAUSAUSA!!!
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Who can out dirty the dirty brigade?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/obs ... d=39506548
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby flipflop » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:36 pm

What are they supposed to use while fighting these shitcunts? Harsh language?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe