One of the greatest Americans has died

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

One of the greatest Americans has died

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:29 pm

War Chief Joseph Medicine Crow

I got an autographed book of his I got in a Truck stop in Montana about 20 years ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2591788

We will probably never see anyone like him on this earth ever again.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: One of the greatest Americans has died

Postby Bronco » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:16 pm

"He later said that Plains Indian warfare was not about killing so much as leadership, honor and intelligence."

The Native Americans had some great leaders such as Sitting Bull, Red Cloud, Roman Nose, Crazy Horse, Chief Joseph and many more. They were better tacticians than the Cavalry had and were more honorable. They were just outgunned and overrun by the huge influx of white men. The country would be in much better shape if the Indians had won.

I stood on the hilltop at the Little Bighorn battle ground and could see across miles of countryside that was once owned by Native Americans and I could see why they fought so hard to keep their land. It's a shame they believed the words of the white men who negotiated with them.

War Chief Joseph Medicine Crow was one of the greats.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby ROB » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 am

Bronco wrote:The country would be in much better shape if the Indians had won.

Never go full retard.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bronco » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:45 pm

ROB wrote:
Bronco wrote:The country would be in much better shape if the Indians had won.

Never go full retard.

Bear in mind that as many as 60 million buffalo roamed the Great Plains. There were free flowing rivers and plentiful game to hunt until the White man came and killed all but a couple of thousand of the Bison *, polluted the streams and dammed the rivers. While the Native Americans lived here without interference they had never had small pox, cholera, TB or dozens of other diseases brought by the white man.

The Indian philosophy was to treat everything so that it would be there and healthy for the next seven generations. Since that time White man has made the continued existence of life on the entire planet doubtful.
We'd be in better shape if the Indians had won.

* A buffalo census in 1889 determined there were less than 85 free-roaming buffalo in the United States. Before Buffalo Bill there were herds that took a train three days to pass roaming free across the great plains. See http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/oldz ... ffalo.html
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby ROB » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:14 am

Let me get this straight. You are GENUINELY trying to argue that regression to stone age subsistence as practiced in North America prior to European settlement would be preferable.

I am just making sure I am comprehending you correctly.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:43 pm

[quote="ROB"]Let me get this straight. You are GENUINELY trying to argue that regression to stone age subsistence as practiced in North America prior to European settlement would be preferable.

I am just making sure I am comprehending you correctly.[/quote]

What an offensive thing to say, pretty awful and not at all accurate. Anyway I thought Kurt was referencing Merle Haggard's death, THE GREAT Merle Haggard, but this Indian was a solid man as well. Too bad they had to live in a world with you in it, Rob, you who diminish what is worthwhile.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bronco » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:18 am

ROB wrote:Let me get this straight. You are GENUINELY trying to argue that regression to stone age subsistence as practiced in North America prior to European settlement would be preferable.

Yeah, I think we crossed the "Survive or not" threshold a long time ago. I think we're headed for extinction and it will be within the next 100 years. Mostly, we're going to turn this planet into something closely akin to Dune except we won't have the sand worms or the spice. If we had been good stewards of the earth, we would probably have a better chance of survival, but greed and stupidity got in the way. The most powerful, strongest nation in the world has ruined it for everybody.

I'm not saying that we should have gone to a Tribal system. I'm saying we should have gone to a Responsible form of society. We should have thought about the following generations and the long term effects of the things we did. We should have copied the Indian idea of considering the needs of the next seven generations.
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby Tarkan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:22 am

Bronco wrote:
ROB wrote:Let me get this straight. You are GENUINELY trying to argue that regression to stone age subsistence as practiced in North America prior to European settlement would be preferable.

Yeah, I think we crossed the "Survive or not" threshold a long time ago. I think we're headed for extinction and it will be within the next 100 years. Mostly, we're going to turn this planet into something closely akin to Dune except we won't have the sand worms or the spice. If we had been good stewards of the earth, we would probably have a better chance of survival, but greed and stupidity got in the way. The most powerful, strongest nation in the world has ruined it for everybody.

I'm not saying that we should have gone to a Tribal system. I'm saying we should have gone to a Responsible form of society. We should have thought about the following generations and the long term effects of the things we did. We should have copied the Indian idea of considering the needs of the next seven generations.

So I guess you are voting for Sanders then, eh?
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:07 am

What an offensive thing to say, pretty awful and not at all accurate. Anyway I thought Kurt was referencing Merle Haggard's death, THE GREAT Merle Haggard, but this Indian was a solid man as well. Too bad they had to live in a world with you in it, Rob, you who diminish what is worthwhile.

Too bad I responding to BRONCO.

You're one of those idiots who posts a rant on an article when they've only read the title, aren't you?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:44 am

….but she did get the 'diminishing what is worthwhile' part right.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:18 am

MJK wrote:….but she did get the 'diminishing what is worthwhile' part right.

Meh. She's butthurt about some other thread so will snipe at me on others. Kind of tedious.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Oh, come on, "subsistence-level" may have been accurate in the Comanche and Ute hinterlands, but that was hardly the case for most of North America, much less the rest of the hemisphere. I just finished "1493," which is includes solid, if abbreviated synopsis of the pre-Columbian American lifestyle for laypersons, as well as the synthesis of cultures. Perhaps worth a read?

Anyway, re: Merle, I couldn't decide which was more apropos for the BFC. Since so many of us do smoke marijuana.

Winner:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxQbvSjQy9A[/youtube]

Runner up:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHAFmFsb9XM[/youtube]
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:29 pm

[quote="ROB"][quote="MJK"]….but she did get the 'diminishing what is worthwhile' part right.[/quote]

Meh. She's butthurt about some other thread so will snipe at me on others. Kind of tedious.[/quote]

This is a public forum. I've not committed any form of Internet etiquette by posting in response to something you two have written. Perhaps you two should get a room.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:13 am

seektravelinfo wrote:
ROB wrote:
MJK wrote:….but she did get the 'diminishing what is worthwhile' part right.

Meh. She's butthurt about some other thread so will snipe at me on others. Kind of tedious.

This is a public forum. I've not committed any form of Internet etiquette by posting in response to something you two have written. Perhaps you two should get a room.

You follow me around like a kicked puppy being all offended at anything you imagine I meant. It's boring.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:24 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Oh, come on, "subsistence-level" may have been accurate in the Comanche and Ute hinterlands, but that was hardly the case for most of North America, much less the rest of the hemisphere. I just finished "1493," which is includes solid, if abbreviated synopsis of the pre-Columbian American lifestyle for laypersons, as well as the synthesis of cultures. Perhaps worth a read?

Prior to industrial agriculture, it was pretty much all subsistence level (with a bit of grey area after about 1700).

Classification of agricultural practices has more to do with yield than whether some nasty guy is being mean on BFC.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe