Visas for Equatorial Guinea

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Visas for Equatorial Guinea

Postby herodotus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Does anyone have information on getting visas for Equatorial Guinea? I just got a ticket to Gabon, but most travel advice I've encountered says the embassy in Libreville won't issue visas to tourists. I'm not too choked up about it -- I can always go to Sao Tome -- but I'm curious as to whether it's possible. My passport is Canadian. Thanks.
herodotus
BFCus Regularus

Re: Visas for Equatorial Guinea

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:08 am

Not sure about a tourist visa, I've got friends working in EG on work VISAs, they get them on arrival, but they have letters of invitation on hand from a local oil firm.

We had hired a local guy in Libreville to sort our Sierra Leone visas for us, it's a service he provides, I'll try to get his contact details for you.

Do you have your Gabon VISA sorted? You can get them on arrival but once again they request a letter of invitation, and as you are no doubt aware, your Yellow Fever card. The embassy in Ottawa can process a VISA by mail in about a week.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:28 pm

You can try this guy, he speaks English and was a great help getting our Liberia visas in Libreville in an afternoon (I though it was for Sierra Leone but we actually went through Sierra Leone just as Air Crew).

Yvon Mouloungui
KPMG Afrique Centrale
Bureau du Gabon
Immeuble Filao B, Face Rénovation, BP 4568
Libreville (Gabon)
(: +241 01 74 12 58 | (: +241 01 74 12 59 |È: +241 04 66 46 82 | 7 : +241 01 74 12 60 |
* ymouloungui@kpmg.cm
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:32 pm

My first move should probably be a shameless plug of my book, which has a whole section on this topic: http://www.bradtguides.com/shop/africa/equatorial-guinea/equatorial-guinea.html

However, as I'm feeling generous, here's a few tips:

Paperwork requirements for a tourist visa vary from embassy to embassy, so best to contact your local one and find out what they want to let you in. I've heard some horror stories about the embassy in Gabon, so I'd avoid them or seek further advice on the Thorn Tree. Generally speaking, they won't even consider your application unless you are resident in Gabon.

The Embassy in London let me in without an official letter of invitation, although it took some persuading! I just had a kind of official looking letter from the people I was staying with, noting that I was visiting them as a tourist. There was no stamp on it from the Ministry of National Security, which is sometimes required by some embassies (and literally impossible to get!) If they start asking for the official, notarised LOI then you need to apply elsewhere. I even had someone in the Ministry in Malabo trying to get it, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. Seems like a piece of red tape designed to keep people out. The Embassy in London have recently decided that they no longer require a Letter of Invitation. I would strongly recommend you try to process your application through them, as I believe they are now the most likely to approve it in the whole of Europe. I believe they take postal applications, all you need to do is provide some justification / link for wanting to apply there rather than your home country. Also, the Ambassador there is very supportive of developing tourism in the country, which is one of their main Horizon2020 Development Goals.

There are also a few EG based operators who can get you a tourist visa, but you will need to pay. Ruta47 are the most professional, but I think they will only help if you book one of their tours. Bebotra will do it without any other committment, but they charge a fair amount (a few hundred Euros).

I also know that my friend Jim Louth here in the UK at Undiscovered Destinations (http://www.undiscovered-destinations.com/) can definitely get you in via his connections at the London Embassy, but once again, he may expect you to go in as part of his organised tours. Their next trip is this November I think. If you email him, be sure to mention I recommended you! Lastly, Jim O'Brien, who recently reviewed my book, also runs tours there through Native Eye and can help.

Guineatur [mob] 222 784 477; e infoguineatur@guineatur.com, http://www.guineatur.com.

Bebotra S.L. Barrio Alcaide; [mob] 222 533 934; e besarib@gmail.com, bbohopo@bebotra.com, http://www.bebotra.com.

Ruta47 GE Fernando Nvara Engonga; [mob] 222 019 786; e angel@ruta47.com; http://www.ruta47.com.

Native Eye 22 Milton Road, Lawford Essex CO11 2EG; [Tel] +4420 3286 5995 [Email] info@nativeeyetravel.com
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Also, if you're looking for help and are already in Gabon, call Paul over at Ngonde Tour. He was really good when sorting out our trip there a few years ago, and has a lot of contacts in Equatorial Guinea. Think their website is currently down for maintenance, but assume email / phone is still OK:

Paul Mohamed MOMBEY INDAKI
Président de l'Association G.O.TO.GABON (Groupement des Opérateurs du Tourisme du Gabon )
Président Directeur Général NGONDETOUR SARL ( Tour Opérateur/ Agence Réceptive)
Mob:+24104203301
General Sales Agent (GSA) LOANGO LODGE
Rue de la CEEAC - HAUT DE GUEGUE
Tel: (+241)01441606
BP: 10618 Libreville / GABON
email: mindaki@ngondetour.com or gaguieviajes@ngondetour.com
Web: http://ngondetour.com
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:45 pm

Lastly, I'm very jealous of your plan B. São Tomé is AMAZING!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:40 am

Let's face it, that scenery is all very interesting but who is the chick on the beach?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe