Muppets

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Muppets

Postby snaark » Sun May 01, 2016 6:06 pm

Seriously, is this what the world is afraid of?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5b8_1461952655
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Re: Muppets

Postby MJK » Sun May 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Nobody but the civvies in their way. the rest of us are concerned about the unipolar dominance of their masters.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby strapped » Mon May 02, 2016 2:16 am

In my basic combat training we were never taught to roll as a means of moving distance under fire.

Granted I did it a while ago (Clinton era) and was in the signal corps for my time but I don't remember any one ever even mentioning it.

Is it a desert thing? Do we do it?
strapped
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed May 04, 2016 12:25 am

snaark wrote:Seriously, is this what the world is afraid of?

No. The 'world is afraid' of militant branches of Islam taking serious root, leading to increasing regional instability and the potential for the emergence of intercommunal violence in western societies. So the question is flawed.

Even if the question were not flawed, this would be like finding a piece of footage of some US soldiers making asses of themselves and asking the same question. Even if this snapshot were to be considered statistically and strategically insightful, then an informed commentary would be cognisant of the fact that mechanised warfare requires a high degree of individual and collective training. On that basis, one would conclude that the individual behaviour exhibited by these combatants was not particularly poor, considering the operational conditions which prevail against IS. First, they all participated and used their weapons, and were reasonably well equipped. This is not a universal constant in combat. Second, they were sufficiently motivated to press the assault against a dug in enemy over open ground. The biggest tactical flaw was the plan itself, which clearly underestimated their enemy's anti-tank capability, but that could be for any number of reasons outwith their control. Thirdly their morale seemed reasonably good and despite a bit of combat bitching, they appeared to be cohesive. Finally, the combatant who was last seen advancing towards the enemy over open ground under heavy fire, discharging his weapon in their direction displayed a significant degree of courage and commitment which may indicate that a proportion of their number will fight to the bitter end in combat. Such behaviour, aggregated at an operational level, may indicate that the recapture of all of the territory currently occupied by IS may require significant combat power to effect this.

However, I do appreciate the propaganda value of the video as it undermines the stylised material which is released by IS for their heroic narrative propaganda purposes. Most people have no military or combat experience but have an idealised image of soldiers' behaviour in combat which has been informed through popular culture (film, media, gaming). Many will therefore consider these individuals to be somewhat feckless and comedic. Although this would be a poorly judged conclusion to draw, if it deters one person from buying a flight to Jannah then it will have at least done some good.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed May 04, 2016 5:00 am

Snaark troll: 10/10
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 am

As pathetic as ISIS is, they made the Iraqi Army flee in droves. Even when the IA had them seriously outnumbered. Also, these particular ISIS, are their Gomer Pyles. Read about the complex attack in which a SEAL was killed recently.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Wed May 04, 2016 4:16 pm

nowonmai wrote:

No. The 'world is afraid' of militant branches of Islam taking serious root, leading to increasing regional instability and the potential for the emergence of intercommunal violence in western societies. So the question is flawed.

Even if the question were not flawed, this would be like finding a piece of footage of some US soldiers making asses of themselves and asking the same question. Even if this snapshot were to be considered statistically and strategically insightful, then an informed commentary would be cognisant of the fact that mechanised warfare requires a high degree of individual and collective training. On that basis, one would conclude that the individual behaviour exhibited by these combatants was not particularly poor, considering the operational conditions which prevail against IS. First, they all participated and used their weapons, and were reasonably well equipped. This is not a universal constant in combat. Second, they were sufficiently motivated to press the assault against a dug in enemy over open ground. The biggest tactical flaw was the plan itself, which clearly underestimated their enemy's anti-tank capability, but that could be for any number of reasons outwith their control. Thirdly their morale seemed reasonably good and despite a bit of combat bitching, they appeared to be cohesive. Finally, the combatant who was last seen advancing towards the enemy over open ground under heavy fire, discharging his weapon in their direction displayed a significant degree of courage and commitment which may indicate that a proportion of their number will fight to the bitter end in combat. Such behaviour, aggregated at an operational level, may indicate that the recapture of all of the territory currently occupied by IS may require significant combat power to effect this.

However, I do appreciate the propaganda value of the video as it undermines the stylised material which is released by IS for their heroic narrative propaganda purposes. Most people have no military or combat experience but have an idealised image of soldiers' behaviour in combat which has been informed through popular culture (film, media, gaming). Many will therefore consider these individuals to be somewhat feckless and comedic. Although this would be a poorly judged conclusion to draw, if it deters one person from buying a flight to Jannah then it will have at least done some good.

Jesus, it was a fucking rhetorical question you idiot!
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed May 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Then what was your point in posting the Vice video with your accompanying rhetorical question?
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu May 05, 2016 2:02 am

seektravelinfo wrote:Then what was your point in posting the Vice video with your accompanying rhetorical question?

When an unwarranted sense of intellectual superiority meets reality, the result is butthurt. These poor souls wear an eternal sense of butthurt like a three day old shirt in summer.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu May 05, 2016 2:11 am

And thus it came to pass that they were called Sperglords. (new word , y'all)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:15 am

I thought Snaarks butthurt came from getting arse raped by the dusky hoards swarming their way across Boxheadland.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby coldharvest » Thu May 05, 2016 4:33 am

I call shenanigans on this whole modern Deutschland bullshit
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby snaark » Thu May 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Surprise, it's the "Muslims are stampeding our women and raping our cattle" cheerleeding squad.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe