Which way do you call the 23rd June UK referendum on the EU?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Which way do you call the 23rd June UK referendum on the EU?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:46 pm

The UK is heading for the exits baby
47%
No way, the UK is in to stay
53%

Total votes : 15

Re: Which way do you call the 23rd June UK referendum on the

Postby ROB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:06 am

Back to neck and neck.

If it stays like this, it's going to take a while to find out.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:08 am

Wow, Scotland is really on a REMAIN in everything trend at the moment. Seems so un-Scottish.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:45 am

Burn, baby burn...disco inferno...

Thought you all would like music with your changes...maybe I'll visit England soon once the pound is lower than the dollar...lol
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:47 am

Maybe nowhammy wants to get some fucking pints this time.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:05 am

Yeah, England. I feel sorry for you. Y'all even had to endure Donald Trump showing up today in Scotland. If I were a voter there my inclination would be to throw caution to the wind and vote to leave. How much worse can it get? Wait, don't answer that.

A good article about the referendum in the New Yorker by Anthony Lane. Here is one paragraph of it:

In the end, however, many Britons will do what voters everywhere tend to do, which is to fall back on a cushion of prejudice. They will make their choice, that is, on what sort of nation they believe themselves to dwell in: is it no more than a chip on the shoulder of the continent, stubbornly self-reliant, or does it belong to the large landmass that begins at Calais? In what direction should the U.K. naturally gaze: inward or outward, forward or back? To an outsider, the most disheartening aspect of the affair has been the leading role assigned to fear, insinuation, and rumor. Even the Remainers have founded the majority of their arguments not on the values and virtues of European partnership but on what might conceivably go wrong if it were to cease; on the right way to handle the inward flow of immigrants, rather than the opportunities that greet young British citizens who actually want to travel the other way, eager to study or to find a job in Europe. The country, in short, has been poorly and meanly served by the debates that have been aired on its behalf; whichever side claims victory tomorrow, neither will have done much to deserve it.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:59 am

Whoa. They did it. I'm not digging the condescension of the pundits towards the majority who voted to leave, as I'm seeing now on TV. How will this play out? I'm off to bed now. In 8 hrs it came be 50cents for 1 British pound.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:26 am

Haha, Juncker just got PWND

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby ROB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:57 am

seektravelinfo wrote: I'm not digging the condescension of the pundits towards the majority who voted to leave, as I'm seeing now on TV.

lol- why not? It's ok to be condescending to people who are dumb enough to vote against their own self interest. In fact it's downright hilarious. This whole situation is 50 kinds of awesome. lol

Roll on Trumpocalypse, I say!
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:33 am

Faaark meee. Turns out people are angrier than I thought. The UK just became the Mohamed Bouazizi of Europe.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:18 am

Difficult to see it staying together now.

The Chinese and Russians are laughing their asses off.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:37 am

ROB wrote:Difficult to see it staying together now.

We'll see. I'm guessing the Germans will try to make an example of them. But if the Eurosceptics in other countries get s big boost out of this, then the writing is on the wall. Good thing I still have an Australian passport.

In any case the UK is fucked.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Douchebag » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:55 am

ROB wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote: I'm not digging the condescension of the pundits towards the majority who voted to leave, as I'm seeing now on TV.

lol- why not? It's ok to be condescending to people who are dumb enough to vote against their own self interest. In fact it's downright hilarious. This whole situation is 50 kinds of awesome. lol

Roll on Trumpocalypse, I say!

You Brits made the right decision in leaving. Now you gotta kick out the immigrants that came in, and kick them out quick!
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:23 am

This is awesome.

Way to go Brits. I am glad some people saw it was not in their best interest to spend about 60% of taxpayer funded bureaucratic time to process edicts from Brussels.

Now if the US could finally leave NAFTA and GATT which has not helped American workers at all I think the English speaking world could be onto something a bit better than the neo-Liberalism of the past.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 am

Kurt wrote: I am glad some people saw it was not in their best interest to spend about 60% of taxpayer funded bureaucratic time to process edicts from Brussels.

Time is irrelevant. Return is relevant.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Now the fun really starts as the system tries to get off the hook (oh but what about the Welsh, Scottish etc) and kick the ball into touch.

But for one day I will allow myself to enjoy the sight of the BBC not knowing how to report anything ('strained face' 'concerned face' 'I know this is democracy but') and the sight of Cameron getting his marching orders. That was truly a moment to savour - loved the fact that as he went down in flames aside from a few tropes about the economy all he could seize on was gay marriage, which is the equivalent of saying 'mind my glasses' as the village tough squares up. And savour the knowledge that all the inevitabilists and the condescending denigrators have been seen off. Let's hope they emigrate to Spain or France, better yet, Germany. See ya.

And this result was despite deliberate mass immigration since 97 (to change voting patterns - not a theory, fact, Google Neathergate) and an unprecedented weight of state and corporate national and international fear and loathing propaganda being wheeled out against the voter (remember the Obama lecture), and despite the killing (carefully spun as martyrdom by Remain) of Jo Cox last week. If the playing field had been anywhere near level the result would have been firmer yet for Leave. But Leave it is, and Leave we fucking well must. The EU can do its worst - they'll flail but ultimately will collapse.

So yes, the British people are angry. Oddly enough they don't all check their opinions with leftwing dogmatic colonials living in Germany. But the French are angrier. And the Dutch. And increasing numbers of Germans are waking up from their coma. The EU is going down and come the day it is just an oil slick on the water we will be happy indeed.

No taxation without representation. This was a great first day for freedom. Now the struggle to expand and preserve it will commence.

Happy days.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe