Glad to be far from Cali in the face of impending blackouts

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Glad to be far from Cali in the face of impending blackouts

Postby MJK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:55 pm

So all that natgas that flew the coop this winter combined with the upcoming record temps and water shortages will make California a place experiencing 'interesting times' this summer. Projected blackouts of up to 14 days...I wonder if that will be 14 days in row. No EBT cards or a/c for two days let alone weeks will make Cali a 5 star DP.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/california-po ... nance.html
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Re: Glad to be far from Cali in the face of impending blacko

Postby Kurt » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Blackouts are not that bad.

If they are planned, then they are just an annoyance more than anything.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Hitoru » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:04 pm

That's what generators are for.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby MJK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Cal Ed and PG&E are like 13 billion in the hole and will have a lot of trouble replacing all the gas the went away. The storage area that vented itself was the largest on the Left Coast. if they can't pay to replace it, those numbers like 14 days of blackouts may be very optimistic.

Having run my place on generator sets I can tell you that Joe Sixpack and his 2000 watt Honda genset are going to be hard pressed to keep an AC unit and fridge running. I am also betting big that there aren't many gen sets on the wrong sides of the tracks in big Cali cities. But I'll keep a raven handy for lunch if I be wrong.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:44 pm

[quote="Kurt"]Blackouts are not that bad.

If they are planned, then they are just an annoyance more than anything.[/quote]

Key: If they are planned. Remember that big East Coast blackout a few years back? It was summer. It was hot. It was terrible. My daughter, 14 at the time took the opportunity to hit the streets while I worried at home, continuously schlepping up & down 9 flights, then giving her a whupping in the dark at 11pm when she finally showed up, then I took a cold shower by candlelight.

When there's a blackout everything shuts down; merchants, restaurants etc. Can't operate without electricity. It could be a good time, in the short run, if you live in the right environment but for many it's no picnic at all.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 pm

MJK wrote:
Having run my place on generator sets I can tell you that Joe Sixpack and his 2000 watt Honda genset are going to be hard pressed to keep an AC unit and fridge running. I am also betting big that there aren't many gen sets on the wrong sides of the tracks in big Cali cities. But I'll keep a raven handy for lunch if I be wrong.

You're right, no ac, fridge , light and fan.
Generators are luxuries
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Kurt » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:42 am

seektravelinfo wrote:
Kurt wrote:Blackouts are not that bad.

If they are planned, then they are just an annoyance more than anything.

Key: If they are planned. Remember that big East Coast blackout a few years back? It was summer. It was hot. It was terrible. My daughter, 14 at the time took the opportunity to hit the streets while I worried at home, continuously schlepping up & down 9 flights, then giving her a whupping in the dark at 11pm when she finally showed up, then I took a cold shower by candlelight.

When there's a blackout everything shuts down; merchants, restaurants etc. Can't operate without electricity. It could be a good time, in the short run, if you live in the right environment but for many it's no picnic at all.

That blackout was awesome in NYC. The last time we had a citywide problem like that was during 9/11 so the whole city became a giant party and people took turns directing traffic...just because it was what needed to be done. the safest I ever felt in this city was the night of that blackout.

But I had no teenaged girls to worry about, so there is that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:54 am

How are they going to charge their devices? I see a return to atavism and savagery and displaying of boars heads. I'm kinda jealous.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:05 am

If you genuinely believe this, then set up a home battery installation service with solar.

Shit gets real when white people don't have refrigeration.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe