Aukai Collins?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Aukai Collins?

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:51 am

Whatever happened to Aukai after he got out of jail in Mexico? I know he pissed plenty of us off who supported him....
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Re: Aukai Collins?

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:27 am

Judging by the crickets no one knows.

I have had "My Jihad" staring at me from ny bookshelf for 14 years but have not cracked it open for a read.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Pelton probably knows, but he doesn't have much to say these days.
My Jihad is a great book to read on buses, airplanes and generally in any public place.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Djlp » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Aukai apparently just died on july 19th in pennsylvania, i have no idea the circumstances, I have been asking around but nothing. What did he do after returning from mexico?
Djlp

Postby Hitoru » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:08 am

What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Kurt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:10 am

Not much of an announcement.

http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/A ... -103784204

Not sure if one of these announcements can be faked or not, so I have not heard anything.

Since Mexico. I am not sure exactly.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:56 pm

RYP posted on Facebook a few days ago about his passing. I asked what his cause of death was but no info was forthcoming.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:21 pm

I find it fascinating with how little I know about stuff since I am not on facebook.

I will join it when it becomes the next MySpace.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 am

Was always astounded at how most of BFC were happy to jump in with this guy.

Loose canon idiot who I wouldn't want anywhere near me in a developing country.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 am

ROB wrote:Was always astounded at how most of BFC were happy to jump in with this guy.

Loose canon idiot who I wouldn't want anywhere near me in a developing country.

But when you meet someone in person and they present themselves as the exact opposite of a loose cannon, which Aqil could do quite well, it makes some sense.

Its one of those things like "If all your friends jumped off the Empire state building would you too?" and the answer is "Yes, of course, because there obviously is a circumstance I cannot see that is causing them to do this." When you look back on it you see a normal, and seemingly reasonable group of people doing something foolish, but when you are there it makes sense.

I had a falling out with him. A big one. And I never told him about it cuz I did not want him to get all theateningly -killy on me. So you had a bunch of people happy to jump in with him and you had a bunch of people who all slowly bailed on him as well.

When he was in prison in Mexico he probably had support equaling more than my monthly salary at the time of the support. Before he went to Durango he asked me if I wanted to come down to Mexico with him and I asked him to hold off on doing anything until I got back from my family reunion in Norway (trying to get him to have a cooling down period) and he promised me and then ..blam! we know what happened, so I figured "hell, I would go down to Mexico to kill Federales too if they killed my girlfriend...or I would if I was Aqil so yah. I guess I understand.

Then he started calling from prison asking me to tell people he was going to break out and cut their heads off. The people he did this too were always people who had helped him out in the past. I refused to threaten people for him. I mean, shit. How long would I have been free to roam the earth if I called Casey Affleck like he wanted me to do and threaten to decapitate him? Not very long. Or Lech Kowalski, a cool dude who used to post here. I warned Lech that Aqil wanted me to pass along a "Decapitation-A-Gram" to him while we had breakfast and bloody marys one morning.

Then when he got out and abandoned his Mexican family and kid I figured anyone who leaves their child like that is really quite dangerous and so I clammed up about him. Never said anything bad about him when people said "why did you support him" I gave the honest answer "I support my friends" but I would not have supported him after he left his family and I never did.

Except once, by accident. Which that poster Executiveout touched on a while back. But no one listened to me when I said that he was Cuban intel and their Cubatel phone was being monitored...so the best information I ever had in my life when I counter-intelled Cuban intel, everyone ignored. Which is funny.

Oh yah, I refused to sign the rights over for my likeness to be used in a Hollywood teleplay as "The Nerd". Long story, sounds better as a brief one.

Too bad he is dead. If he used his qualities for helping others (without killing) only 20% of the time he would have had Hagiographies written about him. No doubt my life was a bit more interesting because of him and no doubt the only reason I am still alive was by being as meek as possible and making him laugh. Though that still got an invitation for vengeance party in Mexico. I cannot imagine what demands he made on people who swaggered in front of him
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:43 am

How did he die? I just want to be sure. He sounds like a horrible person.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:58 am

seektravelinfo wrote:How did he die? I just want to be sure. He sounds like a horrible person.

I sent you a PM.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:18 am

His life choices were already pretty questionable well before he crossed paths with the BFC.

Having a passing beer with an interesting character is one thing, but BFC went a fair bit further than that with this guy.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:23 am

ROB wrote:His life choices were already pretty questionable well before he crossed paths with the BFC.

Having a passing beer with an interesting character is one thing, but BFC went a fair bit further than that with this guy.

Yep, Very true. If you met him you probably would have too.

Like I said, there is a reason why all your friends jump off the Empire State building. There is a reason why reasonable people make unreasonable choices.

And the last time a BFCer defended him was when? My guess would be 8 to 10 years ago. Once he was out of jail we had our suspicions and once he was out of jail it became apparent. Some people, like Jefe, could tell just by seeing a video of him shooting a car with an AK, some people, like me, took a bit longer.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Jefe was always worth listening to. I always took his opinions seriously.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe