More Istanbul bombings

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

More Istanbul bombings

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Two bombs detonated in Ataturk Airport. Pay attention to Turkey.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Re: More Istanbul bombings

Postby MJK » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Interesting that it occurred right after Erdogan made kissing noises towards Putin. Hard to say who did it but I'm hearing ISIS mentioned. Did Erdi quit buying their oil? Why would they shit into a good customer's hand?
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:06 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:Two bombs detonated in Ataturk Airport. Pay attention to Turkey.

Ugh.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 pm

[quote="MJK"]Interesting that it occurred right after Erdogan made kissing noises towards Putin. Hard to say who did it but I'm hearing ISIS mentioned. Did Erdi quit buying their oil? Why would they shit into a good customer's hand?[/quote]

Also, Erdogan attempted this week to make nice with Israel. Media suggests that fingers point to ISIS. If so, then this could be perceived as another ISIS attack on Europe, as Ataturk Intnl IS located on the European side of Istanbul.

It seems that the airport police did a really good job in preventing further carnage.

Wow, I was checking airfares last night on Orbitz and the fare from my city to Istanbul was only $606. Between cheap plane tickets & all this currency devaluation that's going on vis a vis Brexit and other disasters it's getting to be the time to go to Turkey. That's my travel info for ya.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:54 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:
MJK wrote:Interesting that it occurred right after Erdogan made kissing noises towards Putin. Hard to say who did it but I'm hearing ISIS mentioned. Did Erdi quit buying their oil? Why would they shit into a good customer's hand?

Also, Erdogan attempted this week to make nice with Israel. Media suggests that fingers point to ISIS. If so, then this could be perceived as another ISIS attack on Europe, as Ataturk Intnl IS located on the European side of Istanbul.

It seems that the airport police did a really good job in preventing further carnage.

Wow, I was checking airfares last night on Orbitz and the fare from my city to Istanbul was only $606. Between cheap plane tickets & all this currency devaluation that's going on vis a vis Brexit and other disasters it's getting to be the time to go to Turkey. That's my travel info for ya.

Drop me a pm if you go. I'm in the neighborhood for 2 months next week.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:13 am

Leave my town and miss the Republican Convention? No way!

If I go to Turkey, which I hope I will, I'd like to go in March so that I could hang out for Newroz.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:09 pm

I lived in Samsun and Trabzon for a year, plus a few months in Istanbul, loved the place, lovely people...but apparently I'm banned. When I applied online for a VISA last year a pop-up requested I go to the nearest embassy. The lady at the embassy seemed surprised that I wasn't aware that the police are looking for me, and I did not get my VISA. Something about my work VISA/residency permit wasn't in order when I lived there....the guy we were "working" for and sorted our paperwork was pretty high up in the government and smoothed shit over, but he's no longer there, and apparently not all the "i"s were dotted....

Now I have to route through Frankfurt, Paris or even Addis Ababa, when Istanbul would be the far better option. And I've got good friends there still. PITA.

One buddy works at the airport, said he was there during but he's alright, spoke to him last night.

Interesting development....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/30/istanbul-airport-attack-turkish-police-carry-out-raids
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe