Southern Philippines: Pirates Times Two

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Southern Philippines: Pirates Times Two

Postby RYP » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:40 am

I remember seeing his sail boat in Berbera when it was recovered by the coast guard.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-abu-s ... an-2016-11

ailing Couple Seized by Somali Pirates in 2008 Is Apparently Abducted Off Philippines
By ALISON SMALENOV. 7, 2016

The Philippine authorities recovering the Rockall on Sunday in the country’s south.

BERLIN — A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for, the old maritime saying goes. A German sailing couple, seized and held for ransom eight years ago by Somali pirates, apparently lived by that rule.

A German yachting website reported Monday that the couple appeared to have been abducted again, this time while cruising a dangerous area of the Philippines, by militants of Abu Sayyaf, an insurgent group known for kidnapping and ransoming foreigners. The woman was said to have been killed.

The couple, Jürgen Kantner, 70, and his partner, Sabine Merz, have been sailing the oceans for many years aboard their 30-footer, the Rockall. They were held for 52 days in Somalia in 2008 before their captors freed them, reportedly after a six-figure ransom had been paid.

The Philippine media on Monday reported that a German couple had been attacked while sailing in an area of the southern Philippines under the control of Abu Sayyaf. The woman was shot and the man abducted, the reports said.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer quoted a spokesman for Abu Sayyaf as saying via telephone that the woman had fired upon them, “Our men shot back and killed her,” he said.

The newspaper said that the spokesman had made a man come to the phone and that he had identified himself as Jürgen Kanter. The account quoted him as saying: “Pirates took our boat and they took us.”

In Berlin, the Foreign Ministry said that it was working with Philippine authorities to clarify the situation. “As always in such cases, I would like to be very tight-lipped,” said the ministry spokesman, Martin Schäfer. He stressed that there was no confirmation of the reported killing or the abduction.

Uwe Janssen, editor in chief of the yachting website, Yacht.de, noted the lack of official confirmation but wrote that a photograph released by the Philippine military authorities “is clear: the attacked vessel indeed belongs to Jürgen Kantner.”

The sailboat in the photo is marked Rockall, the same name that was on the vessel captured by the Somalis eight years ago.

Mr. Janssen said “everything suggests that the two victims” were Mr. Kantner and Ms. Merz.

In May 2009, Agence France-Presse reported that Mr. Kantner had returned to Somalia after the couple’s abduction and release, and quoted him as vowing to get the Rockall seaworthy once more and to set off for Asia.

“Why should I return to Germany, where I have nobody?” he was quoted as saying. “After 32 years on my boat, I have lost all contact with them.” He acknowledged “that it is a little bit like suicide,” and said he prayed he would not get captured a second time.

In a lengthy interview with the German magazine Yacht after the 2008 abduction, Mr. Kantner and Ms. Merz said they had been captured then while sailing close to the coast of Yemen, and that they had no warning of special danger. They dismissed suggestions that they had courted danger, citing cases of vessels robbed in calmer regions such as the Canary Islands or Corsica.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Southern Philippines: Pirates Times Two

Postby MJK » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:50 am

These folks are carriers of the dreaded Tim Treadwell gene, which makes you think that if it hasn't happened to you yet it never will and if it has happened to you once it surely can't happen again.

I wonder who coughed up the first ransom and if they are champing at the bit to pay more.

Has there been a crowd sourced ransom payout yet?
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Re: Southern Philippines: Pirates Times Two

Postby RYP » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:35 pm

The German government pays ransoms. The geezer had a shit ferro-cement sailboat and now he has killed his companion. My guess is that ISIS (Abu Sayeff is soooo 1995) will slice his head off just to shut him up.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Return to Black Flag Cafe