America Spring? Let's do this

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: America Spring? Let's do this

Postby flipflop » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby MJK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:51 pm

Ouch! Gonna take quite a bit of innocents' blood to freshen that face up. Put wreaths of garlic around your children's windows and keep them away from pizza parlors.

One more setback for her and she'll melt away in a cloud of steam and smoke crying "I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world, what a world….." One of her flying monkeys, Van Jones has already gone from 'You killed the wicked witch with a 'whitelash!'" to "Hail Trumpothy and his damn fine speech!".

This pleasant respite will however eventually end and it will be back to business as usual shortly after Kissinger bites Trump on the neck.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:24 am

[quote="goat balls"]And they openly advertise for protesters on Craigslist. 15 bucks an hour.

The claims about a conspiracy to disrupt the Trump campaign lacked any real proof that such a campaign was actually afoot, much less that any figures such George Soros or Republican rival Ted Cruz were behind those efforts. Nearly all these claims pointed to the above-cited Craigslist ads as evidence, but all of those ads simply sought door-to-door canvassers during an election year; none of them advertised positions as paid agitators or protesters.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby MJK » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:36 am

Very much enjoying the emerging stories about Hillary's election night rendition of the bunker scene in 'Downfall'.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:03 pm

[quote="MJK"]Very much enjoying the emerging stories about Hillary's election night rendition of the bunker scene in 'Downfall'.[/quote]

Stories. Not facts. Stories. There's been some talk lately about fake news sites that "appear" legit on the surface, yet upon reading one could quickly surmise that they are fake. It's one thing for a journalist or pundit to be slanted in their reporting and analysis, but it's another thing to out and out make shit up. These fake news sites, Breitbart included, are the latter. This is made possible by the internet, for readers who lack critical thinking, I.e. Trump supporters. To invoke Godwin's Law, I will say that Goebbels would approve.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:12 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:There's been some talk lately about fake news sites that "appear" legit on the surface, yet upon reading one could quickly surmise that they are fake.

Yes indeed, they're known as 'CNN' 'BBC' and 'MSNBC'

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Ha. Except I wasn't talking about television news. I was referring to these fake news sites that are popping up, that on the surface appear to be legit, for a quick second maybe, but to anyone with critical reading skills they don't possibly pass muster; only to those who seek "news" that conforms to their worldview.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:58 pm

So, a bit like the Guardian you mean? This election has caught the mainstream media with their pants down. They peddle bullshit just like all these shock jock sites. Nobody can take them seriously anymore. I never did, good call I think

Cheered

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby MJK » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:43 am

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-1 ... news-sites
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:53 am

London City University has banned three of the most popular U.K. tabloids from their campus. Effectively they're trying to shut out the mouthpieces of large swathes of the population here, by putting their fingers in their ears and going "La la la...". They cite "hate speech" i.e. their stance on Trump, Brexit and illegal immigrants.

Leftists have learnt nothing about why they are under attack from all sides, populism is on the march everywhere, yet instead of engaging and critiquing it, they hide away behind their "safe spaces".

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyS3Ghevf2I[/youtube]

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Kurt » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:51 pm

I was asked to write content for a fake news site 2 months ago. "Fake News" spreads over a wide spectrum of things.

What I was asked to do was:

1. Take stock photography images.

2. Write shocking headline for photograph (they provide the photos)

3. Write story that photo links to in the form of a "slideshow" (slideshows provide more page views per clickthrough)

So, take a photograph of a dog that looks cute and write "Which Celebrities Have Killed Dogs?" then get about 16 photos of celebs and accuse them of dog murder as they click through.

Like "Meryl Streep Killed her Airdale Terrier by throwing him down the stairs. Police hushed it up"

I was going to write a bunch of surreal shit until I found out they wanted to pay me like $20 in bitcoin per story with no cut at all of the ad revenue.

During the election the "fake news" moved from celebs to politics. Turns out people who like Trump want to read about people Clinton did not kill and people who hated Trump (no one liked Clinton) wanted to indulge in how horrible he and his associates are. It just so happens "Conservative" news readers tended to enjoy the bullshit more and seemed to be more likely to think it was true.

Zuckerberg is probably right though. The fake news did nothing to influence the election. People who believed them probably had their mind made up already. This is just a failure to grasp a few things among the Liberals: The main one is that Hillary was despised. The other was that polls were always wrong, it's just now wrong or "fake" polls no longer influence how people vote. The only Liberals who have grasped the problem seems to be Bernie Sanders, Susan Sarandon and now John Stewart and that problem is that moderation was not helping a majority of Americans, Given the choice between a Moderate who fucks them over and a radical who may fuck them over people chose the radical.

The left could have had their radical too, but they actively thwarted that movement.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:34 am

The fake news sites, on the right and on the left, are cheesy citizen psy-ops & dishonest as all hell, but I would hope that the average discerning reader would be able to catch on. Meanwhile they're annoying to no end.

Breitbart isn't a real news site either.

Matt Drudge is the founding father of all this and he encourages the right-wing fakers by putting their stores front and center on his page Drudgereport.com.

I like Drudgereport. It's the site I go to for all my news. First, to catch his right wing headlines to find out what their gripe du jour is and secondly to access all the news outlets out there, which he has meticulously listed and I give him kudos for that. Great site.

Speaking of headlines, I love the NY Post. Their front page is high art, all the time.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:46 am

You say all that then quote Drudge as your main news site?!?!

Fucking hell, LOL

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Can you read? I said I go to Drudge to catch his headlines. Right now at this moment it's Merkel Forever (she's going to run for a 4th term next year). It's a tidy way to ascertain what's got the right-wings panties in a twist on any given day.

Then, it's a whole smorgasbord of news outlets to choose from, from The Nation to WSJ.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe