Anyone attempt to write a book?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Anyone attempt to write a book?

Postby denise » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:13 am

No Mr. Darcy, I have not attempted to write a book, yet.

Hemingway is a writer of great dialogue, by dialogue I mean the sincerest of insults without the crutch of profanity, in the spirit of the great writer Hugo.

I am referring to For Whom The Bell Tolls and The Hunchback of Notre Dame and if I am not the first to make this comparison forgive me, I am uneducated.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm a huge fan of Hemingway. Managed to visit a few of his haunts in my travels.

Just finished the first edit! Now looking for proofreaders. Maybe it's complete shite but fuck it, I did it.

I'll give the ending away, last sentence...

His crotch itches.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:39 am

If the pen be truly mightier than the sword might I suggest he hoist himself upon his prickly petard.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Just an update in case anyone gives a hoot;

Finished and edited and proofread by a few (though I keep finding stuff they missed) and just sent out for submission to publishing companies that accept unsolicited manuscripts (there aren't many) and numerous literary agents. All their websites state 1 to 2 months for a response, if any.....

My synopsis trying to sell the thing....

It is Edward’s first overseas tour. An experienced and accomplished pilot, Edward accepts a post well outside his comfort zone in remote Africa. Accustomed to the structured environment and safety of flying in the Western World, Edward finds himself amongst unapologetic cads and adventurers and waivers between his own nature and emulating those that thrive in the unfamiliar. As Edward adapts to his new and strange environment, he discovers himself in the process, and grows, albeit with strong misgivings. Caught between a world of reality and one imagined, Edward struggles, but with the help of Mike, a rambunctious and amicable bush pilot, Edward dances a fine line between jelly fish, native girls, STDs, jealousy, racism, fear, riots and helicopters. Things break down but somehow Edward survives and arrives at the end of his first tour a changed man, or at the least, slightly more worldly.

The first question anyone who reads it asks is how much of it is true....that answer depends on who is asking, as too much of it is to be honest....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Darcy wrote:Just an update in case anyone gives a hoot;

Finished and edited and proofread by a few (though I keep finding stuff they missed) and just sent out for submission to publishing companies that accept unsolicited manuscripts (there aren't many) and numerous literary agents. All their websites state 1 to 2 months for a response, if any.....

My synopsis trying to sell the thing....

It is Edward’s first overseas tour. An experienced and accomplished pilot, Edward accepts a post well outside his comfort zone in remote Africa. Accustomed to the structured environment and safety of flying in the Western World, Edward finds himself amongst unapologetic cads and adventurers and waivers between his own nature and emulating those that thrive in the unfamiliar. As Edward adapts to his new and strange environment, he discovers himself in the process, and grows, albeit with strong misgivings. Caught between a world of reality and one imagined, Edward struggles, but with the help of Mike, a rambunctious and amicable bush pilot, Edward dances a fine line between jelly fish, native girls, STDs, jealousy, racism, fear, riots and helicopters. Things break down but somehow Edward survives and arrives at the end of his first tour a changed man, or at the least, slightly more worldly.

The first question anyone who reads it asks is how much of it is true....that answer depends on who is asking, as too much of it is to be honest....

Improved it...

It is Edmund’s first tour in North Norfolk. An experienced and accomplished molecatcher, Edmund accepts a post well outside his comfort zone in remote East Anglia. Accustomed to the structured environment and safety of stacking supermarket shelves in the Western World, Edmund finds himself amongst unapologetic cads and adventurers and waivers between his own nature and emulating those that thrive in the unfamiliar. As Edward adapts to his new and strange environment, he discovers himself in the process, and grows, albeit with strong local cheese. Caught between a world of reality and one imagined, Edward struggles, but with the help of Mike, a rambunctious and amicable delicatessen counter operative, Edmund dances a fine line between jelly fish, native girls, STDs, jealousy, racism, fear, riots and extra strong Cheddar. Things break down but somehow Edmund survives and arrives at the end of his first tour a changed man, or at the least, slightly more cheesy.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 am

If no one accepts the manuscript, maybe we could partner up and resubmit with a rewrite?

Trying to generate some future sales out of you lot.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe