Sadness for Turkey

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Sadness for Turkey

Postby Darcy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Having lived there for two years, mostly along the conservative Black Sea coast (predominately Samsun and Trabzon) I feel for my friends. Managing the helicopter potion of offshore oil exploration contracts, I often had to "push back" to get things done for the big American oil companies we were subcontracted too, and in my experience, Turkey's reaction is typical. They love the pleasantries but don't do well when confronted, often quickly escalating things well past normal, where a Westerner or African may do what is required to save face yet proceed forward, the Turks tended to blow up. Read a good article this morning where they duped some journalists, and I can see it. They just don't understand why the world is against them on this.

I'm still trying to find out if the military helicopter pilots I knew were involved in the attempted coup or not. I know I'm not welcome, over contended residency issues.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Sadness for Turkey

Postby Darcy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Also, read a Canadian Intelligence report (published publicly) where they traced the current "Muslim situation" back to Ataturk's secular government decree. According to the report it was the first big blow to Islamic growth and the report stated Turkey was a wake up call that started everything we are dealing with today. Obviously it went into far more depth than this little blurb....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Sadness for Turkey

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:59 pm

I did a climb of Ararat 10 years ago, had a Turkish guide and a Kurdish horse team. To say they hated each others guts was an understatement. Got a good laugh out of them rattling each others cages.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe