WHERE ARE THE INSURGENT CORPSES?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Dim » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:12 am

A guy is lying on the ground wounded and unable to defend himself of threaten you. You carefully approach him and then blow his head off.

This is

1. Murder.
2. . . . help me out here.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby lowcrawl » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:34 am

This is life. Why do you feel sorry for an individual who was willing to die and trying to kill people five minutes ago. Just because he is wounded now he is suddenly a great person and everyone should run over there and hoist him up in the air and celebrate, "Thank goodness we didn't kill him!" He is worth so much in this world. He will probably go on to find the cure for cancer. Or maybe he will just heal up and try to kill some more people. HHHMMMMMM, I wonder.[/quote][/u][/i][/b]
"Zidele amathambo." Give yourself up, bones as well. (i.e. take a chance!) - South African Ndebele saying
lowcrawl
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:51 am

Dim wrote:A guy is lying on the ground wounded and unable to defend himself of threaten you. You carefully approach him and then blow his head off.

This is

1. Murder.

Or possibly
3. Faking.
4. Wounded and about to detonate a bomb.

If it were me, and there were any doubt whether or not the guy was a threat, I would err on the side of making sure he wasn't. It isn't Queensbury rules, to steal a phrase from Kaska.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:09 am

Tarkan wrote:
Dim wrote:A guy is lying on the ground wounded and unable to defend himself of threaten you. You carefully approach him and then blow his head off.

This is

1. Murder.

Or possibly
3. Faking.

If it were me, and there were any doubt whether or not the guy was a threat, I would err on the side of making sure he wasn't. It isn't Queensbury rules, to steal a phrase from Kaska.

These were prisoners who had already been tended to by a marine medic.

Apparently the guy who did it was wounded in the face the previous day. I'd been wondering what kind of moron executes prisoners in a mosque in front of a camera crew.

The US networks censored the footage. Something tells me Al-Jazeera won't be so sanitized.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:14 am

Dim wrote:
Tarkan wrote:

This is

1. Murder.

Or possibly
3. Faking.

Apparently the guy who did it was wounded in the face the previous day. I'd been wondering what kind of moron executes prisoners in a mosque in front of a camera crew.

The US networks censored the footage. Something tells me Al-Jazeera won't be so sanitized.

Don't have TV at the moment, so I'm at a disadvantage.

Just saw a still photo from a vidcap. Looks like an execution to me. My guess is that the marine that did this will soon be doing hard time for a long time. DOD is opening up an investigation.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:14 am

Dim wrote:
Tarkan wrote:

This is

1. Murder.

Or possibly
3. Faking.

NBC says that the marines cleared a mosque the day before the incident and captured 5 iraqis. The unit's medic treated them, but they left them in the mosque for a follow-up unit to take back to the rear.

The next day the troops took fire from the direction of the same mosque. They came back, found two of the iraqis from the previos day dead and the rest severly wounded. Apparently somebody yelled something about one of the "dead" iraqis faking it, and the man who fired figured he was settling the matter.

I expect we will be able to comment on this with less (?) sensationalism in a few days when more info comes out.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Tarkan » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:21 am

Aegis wrote:NBC says that the marines cleared a mosque the day before the incident and captured 5 iraqis. The unit's medic treated them, but they left them in the mosque for a follow-up unit to take back to the rear.

The next day the troops took fire from the direction of the same mosque. They came back, found two of the iraqis from the previos day dead and the rest severly wounded. Apparently somebody yelled something about one of the "dead" iraqis faking it, and the man who fired figured he was settling the matter.

I expect we will be able to comment on this with less (?) sensationalism in a few days when more info comes out.

If that's the case, then I definitely would've shot the guy as well.

Illegal combatant + surrendered + treated + firing at you again = dead. You've thrown away your nine lives
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:25 am

Tarkan wrote:
Aegis wrote:NBC says that the marines cleared a mosque the day before the incident and captured 5 iraqis. The unit's medic treated them, but they left them in the mosque for a follow-up unit to take back to the rear.

If that's the case, then I definitely would've shot the guy as well.

Illegal combatant + surrendered + treated + firing at you again = dead. You've thrown away your nine lives

Well, yes, I think an argument based on common sense can be made for this, but since when do laws rely on common sense?

It seems fairly clear that if the situation went down as NBC describes it, the shooter is guilty of some sort of manslaughter. The simple fact is that you aren't allowed to whack the enemy's helpless wounded, no matter how much they may or may not deserve it.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Postby Infidel » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:48 am

Welcome to the club !

we've been waiting

Illegal combatant

looool

that is exactly what we called Chechens.

Welcome to your own Chechnya by the way.
Infidel

Postby Aegis » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:54 am

Infidel wrote:Welcome to the club !

we've been waiting

Illegal combatant

looool

that is exactly what we called Chechens.

Welcome to your own Chechnya by the way.

Yea?

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe