Howdy

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Howdy

Postby Kasca » Tue May 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi, ya'all. Anyone remember me? I've cooled it with the brown liquor. Good to see ya.
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Re: Howdy

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:34 pm

How could we forget? Hope you are well mate.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby nowonmai » Tue May 23, 2017 6:43 pm

What did you go and do that for?
Kasca wrote:Hi, ya'all. Anyone remember me? I've cooled it with the brown liquor. Good to see ya.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Welcome back.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby denise » Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 am

rickshaw92 wrote:How could we forget? Hope you are well mate.

As I have always been under the impression that Kasca is a woman I now understand that she is your wife - and if she is not but is nevertheless Canadian and likes the same thing you do - perhaps should be.

Happy Belated Victoria Day Y'all
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Thu May 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words, especially from the great RYP> Pacebook is so tepid.

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu May 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Yes. Welcome back.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Kasca!!! Welcome "home" :-)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kasca » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Hello, Swizz, how are you? Just finished my second round of breast cancer here. Can we say "Store Bought TaTas" rock the house down? I think we can. Have been busy, flashing the TriState....take a look at these Bad Grrls!!!

Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:31 am

Kasca wrote:Hello, Swizz, how are you? Just finished my second round of breast cancer here. Can we say "Store Bought TaTas" rock the house down? I think we can. Have been busy, flashing the TriState....take a look at these Bad Grrls!!!

So sorry for the health travails, but clearly your sense of humor and pragmatic take is still intact! But hey, we can still get the band back together! Heard 45 was in your 'hood recently. He has no interest in my blue corner of the world, although my county is as red as can be.

All is well with me. Work, photograph things. Rinse. Repeat.

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kasca » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Magnificent photo. Yeah, Trump was here but not worth leaving the porch to fight the yahoos. And I didn't have to ride a mule over the mountains to get treatment and God is Great.

Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby kinderdigi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:07 pm

svizzerams wrote:
Kasca wrote:Hello, Swizz, how are you? Just finished my second round of breast cancer here. Can we say "Store Bought TaTas" rock the house down? I think we can. Have been busy, flashing the TriState....take a look at these Bad Grrls!!!

So sorry for the health travails, but clearly your sense of humor and pragmatic take is still intact! But hey, we can still get the band back together! Heard 45 was in your 'hood recently. He has no interest in my blue corner of the world, although my county is as red as can be.

All is well with me. Work, photograph things. Rinse. Repeat.

Nice photo.

I noticed it was digital and had a close look, as best I could, with the file size. There is a banding artifact easily seen in the cat's whiskers. This is in a highlight "blowout" (over exposed) area. A clean white would be expected. It's unfortunate to find this in such a nice picture.

If your camera is a pro model or high end amateur camera, you might check the mfgrs web site to see if this problem is addressed. I'm thinking a sensor remapping may fix the problem.

I would not have commented on this as per my status here, but it is a great image.

kd
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:10 am

Thank you - I'm glad you liked the image. :-)

I think I see what you are referring too in the whiskers, if I look at the image on my iPad where I can zoom in on it. I did have to post a lower resolution image due to size restrictions on the board, which never helps image quality when displayed. Looking at the original RAW image and the resulting JPEG the banding is not apparent. That said, I appreciate the comment - I'm definitely on the steep learning curve still when it comes to making images and post-processing, so always open to learn new things and CC. I was pretty new to post-processing in LR at the time as well - so could be a bit hamfisted with the sliders. LOL. Fortunately I have a day job, and do this for fun, definitely not profit. This was shot 2 years ago with a Canon 7DMKII using an EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L II in the Serengeti in TZ. I now also shoot with a Canon 1Dx MKII.

Not sure I know exactly what you mean when you say "per my status here", but no worries if it's because you are a newcomer. Post away :-) Of course nowonmai will disagree with me, but then he disagrees with me on just about everything. Cheers!

Nice photo.

I noticed it was digital and had a close look, as best I could, with the file size. There is a banding artifact easily seen in the cat's whiskers. This is in a highlight "blowout" (over exposed) area. A clean white would be expected. It's unfortunate to find this in such a nice picture.

If your camera is a pro model or high end amateur camera, you might check the mfgrs web site to see if this problem is addressed. I'm thinking a sensor remapping may fix the problem.

I would not have commented on this as per my status here, but it is a great image.

kd

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby kinderdigi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:52 am

If it isn't showing in LR in RAW, no worries. After writing, it occurred to me that it could be a Moire' effect. If you can see the striping I'm seeing in the whiskers, try a Moira' tool on it. I'm not sure what LR has, PS has one. The best is in Capture One. If you know someone who uses CO, try the CO tool on it. It's tough doing photo forensics over the web with small files.

I do image stuff for a living. You have a good eye. Keep at it. Don't get caught up in the latest hardware. Almost any decent digital camera will produce good images today.

I'm not big on animal photos but, know a good photo of anything when I see it.

I don't know if you're familiar with Nick Brandt's work, but if not .. It's great stuff, have a look:

http://www.nickbrandt.com/

kd
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm a huge fan of Nick Brandt. I have all of his books. I'm friends with the guide who worked with him on some of his shoots, Ethan Kinsey. He tells some interesting stories about Brandt's working style and how they achieved the images. Ethan also set up shots from Lake Natron, TZ of the calcified creatures. Spent a couple of days at Lake Natron last time I was in TZ - amazing place. Brandt's work conveys a central theme that speaks to me: it's "not all about us all of the time" in terms of humans relationship to the planet at this juncture - or at least that is what I get from his work whether that is his intention or not, I can't say.

I've always loved photography, but only have had the opportunity in the last 5-6 years to get serious about it. I'm pretty much self-taught, so my knowledge base is a bit like a huge jigsaw puzzle mostly still in pieces, not put together. In other words, I don't know what I don't know - and half the fun is discovering what those things are a putting another piece in place. Living in the rural west I have access to some beautiful natural areas, so basically my camera is my excuse to "be out there". Cool that you can do "image stuff" for a living - it's a difficult thing these days to achieve. What type of work do you do? I'll check out Capture One. And again, thank you for the comments - I do appreciate them.

kinderdigi wrote:If it isn't showing in LR in RAW, no worries. After writing, it occurred to me that it could be a Moire' effect. If you can see the striping I'm seeing in the whiskers, try a Moira' tool on it. I'm not sure what LR has, PS has one. The best is in Capture One. If you know someone who uses CO, try the CO tool on it. It's tough doing photo forensics over the web with small files.

I do image stuff for a living. You have a good eye. Keep at it. Don't get caught up in the latest hardware. Almost any decent digital camera will produce good images today.

I'm not big on animal photos but, know a good photo of anything when I see it.

I don't know if you're familiar with Nick Brandt's work, but if not .. It's great stuff, have a look:

http://www.nickbrandt.com/

kd

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe