Howdy

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Howdy

Postby kinderdigi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Nothing wrong with self teaching, especially with digital gear, where you can see your results quickly. There is a lot of photo stuff on the web, but unfortunately, most is camera related and not about photography. Museum and gallery visits can fill that hole.

I do/have done all kinds of photography. I worked as a PJ for a few years then got into corporate and AD work. Working at your hobby is both good and bad. In retrospect, I think I would have been better off working as a banker or long distance truck driver. I would have more time or money for my personal projects. I know an investment banker who has more time and money for his hobby than I do... so who knows.

My travel lately is fairly local. The landscape stuff I'm doing is less than a days drive, and on a winter weekend I can get more than a days work done. The only long distance thing I want to do currently, is photograph the rusting subs in the submarine pens in the Kola Waters. Getting permission to do what I have in mind is much more difficult than getting there. I have a photo friend who is Russian fluent with family there. He's happy to show me St. Petersburg but wants nothing to do with the Russian Military. Photography at a given level is as much about access as it is about art and craft.

kd
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:36 am

Is your work available online? My TaTas and I would love to see it. I googled the Kola Waters sub pens, eerie. Great subject indeed.

Swizz's work displays deep emotion and powerful intelligence, plus a spot on subtle wit. Intriguing, always.
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby kinderdigi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:11 pm

No, nothing on line any longer, sorry. But, thanks for the interest.

It's not likely that I'll be visiting northern Russia. The baksheesh necessary for my photo idea is beyond my means. A pal who was a PJ in Russia during Yeltsin's term said back then, the favored items for trade were Jeeps and cases of Jack Daniels. I think he also shipped golf clubs in while he was there. I know he had a Jeep and had it taken out of storage and shipped. He and Yeltsin were tight and I think his daughter got the Jeep. Now I'm sure they want $$, lots of them.

submarine pens kola peninsula
https://www.google.com/search?q=submari ... 24&bih=602
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks for answering.

Wow, what creepy, eerie images. Many of those pics remind me of huge dead sea animals, waiting to decompose. Isolation and loneliness personified. Did you take those photos?

Are you currently located in Russia? Am jealous am trying to find work there. It's my understanding the atmosphere has calmed down a lot, but you have to have a suitcase of money to keep moving. At least they're reasonable.
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby kinderdigi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm pretty sure those photos were taken by people working or living in the area. They are a collection, as most Google photo searches are. I think Russians, like others now, post a lot of their photos to the web. Google collects these mostly by title.

I've read a bit about the area and it seems much of Russian sub building still takes place in the area. That's why security is so high. If you're into looking at out of the ordinary pictures there are a number of really good photographers photographing extremely "usual" and "unusual" things. I'll try to find you a couple to get you started.

Taryn Simon has some good connections within the US State Department. Her access has provided some interesting stuff.
http://tarynsimon.com/

Edward Burtynski
http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/

I'm in the states

kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 am

Very well timed photo, Svizz - I think Flickr is ok for posting larger images and embedding them elsewhere. Imgur isn't too bad either.

Um, I thought Kinderdigi was Mach... this appears to not be the case.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe