Fallujah in Pictures

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Fallujah in Pictures

Postby Dim » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:51 am

The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

RE: http://fallujapictures.blogspot.com/

Postby Smith » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:58 am

Shit.......

Thanx for the link Dim...
Smith
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:38 am

Hey, in one of those pictures at that linked page, I saw what HAS TO BE a Chechen fighter.

Sorry for the levity.

Those are some sad, sad pictures.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby lowcrawl » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:07 am

Great pictures Dim. I don't mean that in a good way, just that they really put everything in perspective.

Hey Bobby how in the world of Maladra the Maniacal Martian do you know that one of those fighters has to be Chechen? I spent a year in Moscow and always had them pointed out to me by Russians and some of them yes it was obvious, but a lot of them I couldn't tell from Ivan.
"Zidele amathambo." Give yourself up, bones as well. (i.e. take a chance!) - South African Ndebele saying
lowcrawl
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:26 pm

lowcrawl wrote:Great pictures Dim. I don't mean that in a good way, just that they really put everything in perspective.

Hey Bobby how in the world of Maladra the Maniacal Martian do you know that one of those fighters has to be Chechen? I spent a year in Moscow and always had them pointed out to me by Russians and some of them yes it was obvious, but a lot of them I couldn't tell from Ivan.

I think its a joke at Marco_Benoit (and Fox News') expense.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:42 pm

Aegis wrote:
lowcrawl wrote:Great pictures Dim. I don't mean that in a good way, just that they really put everything in perspective.

I think its a joke at Marco_Benoit (and Fox News') expense.

Bingo!

lowcrawl, there are a couple of BFC regulars who have a real hard-on to show there are Chechens fighting in Iraq.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:46 pm

What difference does it make one way or the other?--I have often wondered.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:48 pm

There are American fighters in Iraq. Why all the fuss?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:02 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:What difference does it make one way or the other?--I have often wondered.

The clash-of-civilizations--we-are-still-fighting-the-Crusades crowd would like to see Iraq as part of the "global war on terror" (a.k.a. war against Muslims). They see this as World War 4 (WW3 was the Cold War according to them), Christians versus the Muslims. Therefore, they are sympathetic to the Russian side in regards to the Chechnya war. In their minds, they would like to see the Christian West ally with the Christian East to strike a final blow to Islam and drive back the Turks from Constantinople. They admire colonial empires like the late British Empire where the brown peoples were subject to their idealized visions of order.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:13 pm

Bobby Sands wrote:
Buzzsaw wrote:What difference does it make one way or the other?--I have often wondered.

The clash-of-civilizations--we-are-still-fighting-the-Crusades crowd would like to see Iraq as part of the "global war on terror" (a.k.a. war against Muslims).

If you are skeptical, check out Shining Eye's avatar.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:36 pm

No, that makes sense. So the idea is to find Chechens in Iraq and that will bring the Russians and other slavs around? That makes sense, but I'm surprised to see it get so much run on this message board.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Aegis » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:40 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:No, that makes sense. So the idea is to find Chechens in Iraq and that will bring the Russians and other slavs around? That makes sense, but I'm surprised to see it get so much run on this message board.

Actually, its kinda the other way around. If you read Infidel's posts you will see that its atually the Russians trying to bring the western world around to their point of view.

After all, in their eyes various slavic groups (Russians and Serbs, most noteably) have been fighting islamic radicals for more than a decade, but have been unfairly demonized in the western press.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:44 pm

Right, ideally they would like it if Bush would say this IS a war against Islam, and ally with the Russians, Serbs, etc.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:59 pm

But who on this board (besides Shining Eye) keeps arguing that there are Chechens in Iraq? Or has this little joke taken on a life of its own.

I haven't run into too many Russians or Russian sympathizers on this board. Mostly, the Russians get ripped whenever they come up.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Dim » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:18 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:But who on this board (besides Shining Eye) keeps arguing that there are Chechens in Iraq? Or has this little joke taken on a life of its own.

I haven't run into too many Russians or Russian sympathizers on this board. Mostly, the Russians get ripped whenever they come up.

I think it was Billy who was in South Iraq and claimed that there were Chechens serving there. Several people called bullshit and the thread nose-dived into a debate about info on the ground being more (or less) reliable than that available to arm-chair generals such as myself.

I suspect that Billy(?) was repeating gossip he'd picked up from talking to soldiers - which is not the most reliable source of intel - and got pissed off when people thousands of miles away told him he didn't know what he was talking about.

The other comparable debate was when Jefe claimed that electricity levels in Iraq were above pre-war levels: at the same time every reporter in Baghdad and Iraqi blogger online were screaming bloody murder about
the black-outs sweeping the country at the height of summer.

A search for the thread turns up nothing - either the search feature is not working properly or Billy(?) deleted his posts in a fit of pique.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe