real life JAWS: huge shark attacks in South Africa

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

real life JAWS: huge shark attacks in South Africa

Postby mach1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:55 am

Giant shark attacks woman at Fish Hoek

CAPE TOWN - Several people witnessed a woman being attacked by a giant shark yesterday morning at Fish Hoek.

The body of Tyna Webb, 77, has not been found, but she is presumed dead.

Webb lived in the area and had been swimming at Fish Hoek beach at dawn for the past 17 years, a statement from rescue services said.

She was attacked by a great white shark.

Rescue personnel, including seaborne and airborne services, were still trying late yesterday to locate Webb's body.

About 15 people who witnessed the attack were receiving trauma counselling.

"All efforts to find the lady have been exhausted by a wide and thorough search. We are hoping that police divers will be successful in their efforts," said Darren Zimmerman, the National Sea Rescue Institute's station commander at Simon's Town.

Emergency services personnel will remain on scene to monitor the situation and law enforcement agencies were asked to advise people not to enter the water between Muizenberg and Simon's Town.

A witness to the attack on the False Bay coast described how the shark circled Webb before attacking her.

"All that was left was a little red bathing cap," said Rear Commodore Paul Dennett of the False Bay Yacht Club, who witnessed the attack from his home.

Dennett said that at about 7am he saw a lot of thrashing in the water, about 20 metres off the shoreline of Fish Hoek beach.

He went outside and saw the shark attacking something, which he initially suspected was a seal.

"Then I saw somebody in the water; there was a helluva lot of blood." Dennett said he immediately called rescue services to raise the alarm.

"I then saw the shark circle around the victim... and then in just one big mouth, and not even breaching the water, took her in," said Dennett adding that he had never seen a shark as big, estimating it to be at least six metres long.

NSRI spokesman Craig Lambinon said a shark had been spotted in the vicinity of Clovelly, near Fish Hoek.

"The shark is bigger than the helicopter... it is huge," he said.

The last shark attack in the same vicinity was in April this year when a surfer was attacked off Muizenberg beach.

JP Andrew, 16, was in a critical condition after losing his right leg in the great white's attack, but made a remarkable recovery. - Sapa

- - -

Witnesses tell of shark victim's last seconds
Jo-Anne Smetherham
November 16 2004 at 07:31AM

The close-knit Fish Hoek community was in shock on Monday after popular local resident Tyna Webb, 77, was killed by a shark while on her daily swim off Jager's Walk.

It was the first fatal shark attack in the area in over a century.

Webb was one of a group of stalwarts who swam early every morning at Fish Hoek all year round. She was a strong swimmer and would disregard the warnings of family and friends and swim hundreds of metres out to sea.

The attack happened at 7am on Monday about 150m from the shore. After the attack a small crowd, several eyewitnesses among them who said the shark was about six metres long, gazed out to sea in shock.

Many in the crowd knew Webb and several had swum with her
Many in the crowd knew Webb and several had swum with her in the mornings.

Said fellow swimmer Carla Reiman: "I had just arrived on the beach and saw the trek fishermen waving a flag and shouting from the watchpoint on the mountain. From the beach, I saw the fin, then the whole shark, coming out of the water. It thrashed around. Everybody was screaming and shouting."

"We are a group who swim here every morning. I don't know that I want to be doing this any longer. We're dumbstruck."

Brian de Jager, who works at Sunny Cove Manor, would greet Webb every morning as he strolled along Jager's Walk on his way to buy the newspaper.

"This morning I took my usual walk and I saw Tyna swimming. The next minute, I saw this fin coming through the water, and then the discolouration in the water. It was so quick - it was only around 30 seconds then it was all finished."

'It was so quick'
"She was such a lovely lady, with an amazing carriage and grace - such a beautiful person."

Fisherman Jeffrey Andries saw the attack through binoculars from the fishermen's lookout on Elsies Peak. He waved a flag to alert the beachgoers - as he had done when he spotted sharks the previous day.

"It was about seven in the morning. I saw the lady doing backstroke. She was swimming directly into the path of the shark. Then I saw splashes. The shark turned, then pulled her down under the water."

Other eyewitnesses said they had seen the shark thrash around then come out of the water and down on a swimmer, before pulling the body under.

A red bathing cap believed to have belonged to Webb was found soon after the attack. A sea fisheries vessel, two lifesaving boats and a helicopter combed the sea for a body and police divers searched under-water all morning. The search was called off at lunchtime.

"Law enforcement are going to have to keep their eyes open, and it's up to the tides now," said Clive Wakeford, president of Fish Hoek Livesaving Club.

"It's unwise to swim far out, especially early in the morning and late in the afternoon."

On Sunday, lifesavers had told swimmers to get out of the water after fishermen saw sharks. They could do the same on Tuesday if a shark was seen, Wakeford said.

A relative, who asked not to be named, described Webb as "a remarkable person".

"She was a teacher in Khayelitsha and even during the state of emergency in the 1980s, when the police told white people not to go into the townships, she would go. She followed her own mind, but she had a soft heart. She was very much into literature and the arts."

"In her retirement, she worked for St Luke's Hospice. She was helluva clever, and a very, very special person - a moral force, someone to be proud of."

Said Don Ainslie, who worked with her at the College of Education in Khayelitsha: "She was humble in the extreme and exceptionally kind - she would give anything away to anybody. Her students adored her. When she spoke, it was always so simple and so deep, never pedantic. And she was totally fearless. If somebody did something she saw as immoral, she would fire up and tell them so."
Ride the Walrus
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:21 pm

We're gonna need a bigger boat.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Return to Black Flag Cafe