Which South American country is best for an American

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Which South American country is best for an American

Postby petertohen » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:31 am

Hey, so basically I'm looking for a place to travel to with my friends that is "accommodating" to those who don't speak Spanish. I understand that tiny towns probably won't be suitable but I'd really like to go to like Argentina or somewhere. Any suggestions are appreciated and I will do my research on wherever you suggest. If it matters: We are a mixed bunch of races.
petertohen
mach

Re: Which South American country is best for an American

Postby dogtanian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:18 am

You'd be best off learning some basic Spanish. I'll make your life a lot easier, and you'll have a much more enjoyable experience.
Even Buenos Aires has a pretty thin number of English speakers. You'll be fine in good restaurants and large hotels etc. but you'll struggle with Taxi's, shops, markets etc. If you really want to have an 'authentic' experience, you need to learn how to communicate with the locals.
"Truth is cool; but unattainable..."
dogtanian
BFCus Regularus

Location: Amsterdam - Douala - HCMC - Singapore - Wellington - Whistler

Postby MJK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:21 am

How is your German? Paraguay is the next big thing; just ask Angela Merkel and the Bush family.

The Falklands are nice this time of year.....
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:17 am

MJK wrote:How is your German? Paraguay is the next big thing; just ask Angela Merkel and the Bush family.

The Falklands are nice this time of year.....

Some Americans took a holiday with their Argentinian chums there once; didn't go too well for them. Bless.

Unrelated to that issue but for history buffs, who like seeing how myth becomes reality, this recent book is worth a read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Casualty-Untold-Story-Falklands/dp/1527207226
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe