Solar Eclipse 2017

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Solar Eclipse 2017

Postby svizzerams » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Who's going to chase it? And, if so where will you be viewing it?

I'll be in Salem, OR. Oregon is expecting about a million people to visit the state to see the eclipse. Knowing those little highways and byways in eastern OR it's going to be a bit crazy. I just hope people viewing it don't drive their vehicles off the road into the tinder dry grasses and burn the state down. Heat wave in progress. No rain in the near future.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Re: Solar Eclipse 2017

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:16 pm

I hear too that Nashville will be a prime viewing location. Only an 8 hr. drive from here but I'd be too tempted to keep going west after the event to hit Memphis, Little Rock & OKC, despite having long ago memories of the dog days of August and September down South. Miserable. Couldn't they reschedule the eclipse for October?
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:41 pm

I hope Portland but an ongoing project in Seattle might take me away from the eclipse.

Central Oregon is a tinderbox right now. Relative humidity in Bend is 13% at 91° and a dew point around 40° :/ We'll see how the comprehensive emergency plan that took over a year to budget and develop works.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:22 pm

gnaruki wrote:I hope Portland but an ongoing project in Seattle might take me away from the eclipse.

Central Oregon is a tinderbox right now. Relative humidity in Bend is 13% at 91° and a dew point around 40° :/ We'll see how the comprehensive emergency plan that took over a year to budget and develop works.

Revised figures for visitors to Oregon is now 1.5 million according NPR this AM. Everywhere east of the Cascades is on the verge of conflagration and we've been shrouded in a thick layer of smoke now for over 10 days from the BC and MT fires. We are one thunderstorm from the mega-fires of 2014/2015. When is winter coming?
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Bronco » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 am

Areas such as Salem Oregon are expecting traffic jams to start on the Thursday before the eclipse. Locals are preparing to go as long as two weeks without supplies because they're expecting to have so many visitors who will want to buy groceries. Personally, I don't think it's going to be as bad as the predictions because places less than 100 miles away will be outside the shadow area and people will be heading out as soon as the eclipse is over.
Smoke will probably be a hassle for some areas. Mount Jefferson and Sisters areas are both currently dealing with forest fires and heavy smoke that is blowing all the way up to Portland and the Columbia Gorge.
Local radio is suggesting that anyone on the road carry extra food and water and have a full gas tank and a portapotty handy. There could be long waits in high temps. Enjoy the show!
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby kinderdigi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Just a "Heads Up"!!

Amazon is Refunding LEE Solar Eclipse Filter Buyers, Warning Against Use

"According to LEE, all photographic filters for the solar eclipse are designed this way and Amazon might end up pulling them all if they realize this is the case. So the lucky people that ordered from Amazon should be perfectly ok using the filter on their mirrorless camera or with live view. Just don’t try to view the eclipse directly through the filter!"

This means they won't protect your eyes when using an SLR or DSLR camera (when looking through the finder) where the light is passed through the optical system. In the case of mirror-less cameras, where you are seeing an electronic image, it isn't a problem.

LEE is a major maker of filter materials. Many filters are sourced / rebranded LEE filters.
https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/amazon ... rning-use/

http://www.leefilters.com/
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe