Effective organizations to donate to?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Effective organizations to donate to?

Postby mb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:30 am

Is this sort of question allowed? Or is it not adventurous/insulting enough?

There's been hurricanes and earthquakes in the US and Mexico recently.

Who's effective at helping the people on the ground?

Puerto Rico looks to be the most screwed, with the most senior mainland gov't helping being... the Governor of New York. (Is NYC the 1st or 2nd largest Puerto Rican city in the world?)

Plenty of agencies are really good at using the money to buy fancy cars for themselves.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Re: Effective organizations to donate to?

Postby ROB » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 am

The favourite around here is La Cima.

http://lacimaworldmissions.org/

They don't have fancy cars. Genuine volunteers.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:38 pm

During Hurricane Sandy I did things the proper way. I volunteered with the Red Cross as a relief delivery driver. I know New York streets, I have a CDL and I can pack and strap things in quickly with trucker hitch knots.

When I showed up I think I did two runs to the Rockaways. Other times I showed up the Red Cross tried to put me on the phones to "look for truck drivers"

Their priority seemed to be using volunteers who wanted to help to call people who also wanted to help and ask those who did not or could not help for $$$.

Most volunteers went to the phone banks while the Occupy Wall Street folks got off their butts and actually helped people with "Occupy Sandy" They ended up having everything so squared away that the Red Cross ended up being directed by them for when they delivered relief supplies and then of course the Red Cross took credit for it.

SO I do not know what to tell you other than look for a new, grassroots group with people on the ground who are temporary and do not have a payroll to meet. The Red Cross is now a bunch of degenerates who are top heavy with nepotism.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby goat balls » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Heh, the Red Cross actually admitted the other day that they have no idea where their money is going. Try JJ Watts charity deal, he's a Houston football player that's local, makes a lot of money, so he doesn't need to steal your cash. Unless he has a gambling problem. Or too many ex-wives. Girlfriends. Bad drug habit. Etc. you never know.

If you're trying to cheat on your taxes or get out from under an indictment, try the Clinton Foundation. Plus you get whores. Look at what they did for Haiti. It used to be third world shithole. Now it's the "pearl of the Caribbean." And if you donate enough to the Clinton billionaire lifestyle, you might get access to the J. Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell pedophile ring. Yes, they got busted but all they got was a slap on the wrist and all the court documents have been sealed to protect all the powerful people that were involved. Don't sweat it.

Happy hunting.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Team Rubicon is good too. http://teamrubiconusa.org/ showed up when we had the wildfires here in 2015. Good organization - they do heavy lifting, clearing homes or home sites, hauling away debris. One of my co-workers went to Houston and helped strip out flooded homes so they could be rehabbed. Problem in Houston is the landfills are full, so the debris is stacked along the roads to be removed when somewhere can be arranged. It was hot nasty work - heat, humidty and mold. Don't forget your N-95 mask. He went with an LDS group, although he isn't LDS himself.

La Cima is excellent, but they do more medical missions to out of country places (Honduras, Kurdish areas of Iraq, Thailand for Burmese refugees).
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby grawp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 am

I can recommend UMCOR, the United Methodist Committee On Relief.
We Methodists don't care what unique branch of the human race you are, or where you are located, or what deity you pray to, if any.
If you have an urge to roll up your sleeves and pick up your shovel, or pry-bar or sponge 'n squeegee and get busy, you are who we are looking for.
I got involved with these good people last November when a forest fire in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park roared into Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
The flames were started by two teenagers throwing firecrackers out of their car window.
In 48 hours these flames, fed by tinder-dry conditions and high winds became a firestorm that destroyed hundreds of homes and part of Gatlinburg itself.
Knowing how to operate a Bobcat front loader, I joined a demolition team that was sent up Ski Mountain Road to clear away debris and charred wreckage.
I particularly remember a closed motel that the fire and wind had reduced to nothing but scorched cinder blocks.
The temperature at that site two days after the fire was still hot enough that my team worked in 20 minute shifts to avoid heat stroke.
This in November, and in the Appalachian Mountains.
The heat from the firestorm was so intense that anything that could burn had been reduced to ashes, then blown away in the wind.
The sand and mortar matrix of the cinder blocks themselves had become so hot that it had been melted into tiny glass beads that were fragile as all get-out. However, if you charged at a cinder block wall made of these beads to knock it down, it would crumble like sugar but still have enough mass to half bury you and the Bobcat you were driving.
The Carhart coat I was wearing was so permeated by the beads that I had to throw it away.
When not doing demolition work, my team helps put cleaning buckets, hygiene packs and school packs together for storage in UMCOR's Disaster and Mission Depots. Last weekend, Miz Grawp and I were creating cleaning buckets that were replacing those sent to Florida and Georgia.
I think our creations were shipped this week to Puerto Rico.
So we've got more work ahead of us.

If you're in a giving mood just now, whether of your time, your energy, cash or whatever please contact:

http://www.umcor.org

Selah and Mahalo, my friends.
The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us.
But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity!

- Theodore Roosevelt – “The Wind & the Lion” (1975)
grawp
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Me. Send cash. Small denominations.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Anyone know much about FEMA?

I just turned down a gig flying good ole S61's for a Canadian company (subcontracting to FEMA) going into the islands for relief efforts as I'm tied up in Trinidad trying to convince the government authorities that they really do need my expertise.....I'd say I got a 50/50 chance.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe