Yemen: Flights restored

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Yemen: Flights restored

Postby RYP » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Everything's fine. Nothing to see here. Move along, Anyone in Aden?

https://aawsat.com/english/home/article ... ens-crisis
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Yemen: Flights restored

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm

I really want to see Socotra. Gutted I didn't go in 2006 when I was first there. Not sure it's such a good idea now though, even with flights restored!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Emiratis are building a military base there.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 am

RYP wrote:Emiratis are building a military base there.

Whaaaaaat?! That's crazy (and a really sad development for what should be a UNESCO World Heritage Site). Do you have any links to news articles on this? I found a few comments on Twitter but no images or details: https://twitter.com/Mohammed0Alemad/sta ... 2801378306
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:40 pm

UNESCO doesn't give a shit and the Emiratis will probably do a shitload of damage to the place since it's not nearly as known as somewhere like Galapagos and they can get away with it. I'd bet money that base is going to involve a lot of land reclamation, which pisses me off to no end. Chinese have started doing it in Sri Lanka, building some bullshit in Colombo.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:57 am

Flights resume... the RSA AF had daily flights into Yemen for quit some time, they just never landed..
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Yemen Flights restored

Postby russlits » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Seems like a good idea, maybe it is to support their bosses threat to sue the UK government
Didnt he give them a 7 day warning?
russlits

Postby Mr.PocketsOfSteel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:17 am

RYP wrote:Everything's fine. Nothing to see here. Move along, Anyone in Aden?

https://aawsat.com/english/home/article ... ens-crisis

Arghh! Why can't I contact RYP on his page. Does nothing. Hey Robert, if you read this you personally sent me a T3 with serrations a while back. Knife is fine and I love it. The question is sharpening the serrations. Some jackball said "leave the serrations alone and sharpened from the backside." I did the one time and that was enough for me because I knew I could get better work from them by actually sharpening the serrations. Quite a concept huh?

I have the Sharpmaker which does fine, but if I was out in the field could just use a small circular file on one side and flat on the other ; would that suffice? Don't know if I wanna file the bigger serrations or in between.....or both? Recommendation from "The Man" himself is all I'm looking for and problem solved. Thanks RYP. Be careful you old man. Ha!!!!
Mr.PocketsOfSteel

Return to Black Flag Cafe