Russia and the Caucasus

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Russia and the Caucasus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:03 am

Heading there in the summer to climb Mt Elbrus and maybe hang around Moscow for a few days. Any recent travel advise for Caucasus and any recs for Moscow for places to stay etc.?

Thanks
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Re: Russia and the Caucasus

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Cool. An actual travel question. One I cannot answer but you are pretty much like Sasquatch in a UFO now. Cherish this moment.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby 2 Charlie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:18 pm

My only advice, don't get a Georgian stamp in your passport. If you are going to Moscow after climbing, fly direct and skip the road moves to regions on the Red Square ”non-Grata” list. Save yourself the pain..
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby gnaruki » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:48 am

You might get some free advice from these guys http://www.youngpioneertours.com/

Some of their Russian Caucasus tours were featured in this article https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/dark-tourism/ Read it a while back, IIRC, Russian Visas advice was claim you're only staying in Moscow to reduce fees and questions during application process.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

gnaruki wrote:You might get some free advice from these guys http://www.youngpioneertours.com/

Some of their Russian Caucasus tours were featured in this article https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/dark-tourism/ Read it a while back, IIRC, Russian Visas advice was claim you're only staying in Moscow to reduce fees and questions during application process.

Yeah brilliant idea for a North American drifter to dick around the Russian authorities before heading to the southern border areas. At least the accommodation will be free.
Are you the guy that said Trump was stupid?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Read the article, jackass. This is also the tour service that led warmbier to his fate. Not my advice just what this sketchy service does to offer cheapo tours.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 am

2 Charlie wrote:My only advice, don't get a Georgian stamp in your passport. If you are going to Moscow after climbing, fly direct and skip the road moves to regions on the Red Square ”non-Grata” list. Save yourself the pain..

Thanks. My plans were to fly into Mineralye Vodye head directly to Terskol, do some climbing and fly out and spend a few days around Moscow.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Let us know (after you are home) how it went. Look forward to the climbing stories.

Officially twenty years since I drove across the border from Turkey to Georgia and spent time in that region working, living and exploring.

So much of the story of humanity was written there. One of my memorable stories is standing in a bitterly cold river at the location where the story of the Golden Fleece originated drinking Chacha.

Travel Safe
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:19 am

Thanks 2C. Just have a couple of weeks so I'll have to give Georgia a pass this time. Some place I hope to get to one day.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:26 am

Drop me note next time on the Continent, Casa Nefarious will be up and running in the very near future in a very pleasant and safe part of that space.
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Return to Black Flag Cafe