What it’s like to tour Chernobyl ?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

What it’s like to tour Chernobyl ?

Postby SW RANGER » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 pm

This is . . . not usual,” my guide said.

I had requested a private tour to ensure that I could enter the buildings in Pripyat, the ghost town a few miles from Chernobyl. Access had been curtailed since 2012 for safety reasons, but for twice the fee, I was paired with Yuriy, the most experienced guide working in the Exclusion Zone.

The Ukrainian government is promoting the area as a tourist destination, and well, I just had to go.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/t ... newsletter
Matthias : Definition of a scientist - a man who understands nothing until there was nothing left to understand.

Neville : So, there is a little light in the forest after all.
SW RANGER

Re: What it’s like to tour Chernobyl ?

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:36 pm

My brother and I toured Chernobyl as part of a road trip we did back in 2010, driving from London to Russia and back via Abkhazia. You can read the Abkhazia bit here: http://polosbastards.com/holiday-in-abkhazia/

Turns out Facebook doesn't let you post public links to your photo albums any more, so here's two of the photos I took:

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Re: What it’s like to tour Chernobyl ?

Postby SW RANGER » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Show us more !
Matthias : Definition of a scientist - a man who understands nothing until there was nothing left to understand.

Neville : So, there is a little light in the forest after all.
SW RANGER

Return to Black Flag Cafe